• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My Wolf and my dad's Wolf did well up to 100 yards w/ Thompson Center or Traditions Sabots. They were basically the same thing and even shot same POI at 200 yards (with a significant drop).

2 White Hot pellets is what we both started with until I thought I'd get fancy and go BH209 w/ the modified breech plug and 209 shotgun (not ML) primers. Honestly, I never really needed to go BH209.

If your zero'ing in your ML, clean it after every shot once you get it dialed in. You want to range zero it with a clean cold bore IMO.
    The White hots keep the barrel clean though, not much residue IMO.
    Dad and I had 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards from the bench using Sabots and 2 white hots.

Stay away from power belts if you want accuracy @ 100 yards IMO.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This year I'll be trying loose powder instead of pellets to see if that helps. Please don't flame me too hard haha I'm sure the Wolf is great, I've just had a tough time with mine.
    No, not at all.

I use 2 - 50 grain white hot pellets with traditions 300 grain smackdown sabots.

Belted bullets get me all over the place.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    In the very beginning I used powerbelts but moved away from them pretty quickly. Right now the best load I have is 2 pellets of triple 7 and a 250gr hornady sabot. I always go to the range with a clean bore, and then after each shot I dampen a patch on my tongue then run it down the barrel. (It's the way I was taught, if that's stupid though let me know). It helps gunk not build up too much, but I don't really clean it thoroughly again until I get home.

I'm so jealous of 1.5'' groups at 100 yards haha. It has to be something that I'm doing wrong. Just as additional info I use the CVA one piece scope mount and a Leupold 3-9x40 scope that is torqued to spec so it shouldnt be the optic causing any issue.

OP I apologize for somewhat hijacking your thread.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In the very beginning I used powerbelts but moved away from them pretty quickly. Right now the best load I have is 2 pellets of triple 7 and a 250gr hornady sabot. I always go to the range with a clean bore, and then after each shot I dampen a patch on my tongue then run it down the barrel. (It's the way I was taught, if that's stupid though let me know). It helps gunk not build up too much, but I don't really clean it thoroughly again until I get home.

I'm so jealous of 1.5'' groups at 100 yards haha. It has to be something that I'm doing wrong. Just as additional info I use the CVA one piece scope mount and a Leupold 3-9x40 scope that is torqued to spec so it shouldnt be the optic causing any issue.

Try the traditions 300 grain smackdown sabots and see how the ML likes them.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Just as additional info I use the CVA one piece scope mount and a Leupold 3-9x40 scope that is torqued to spec so it shouldnt be the optic causing any issue.
    My Optima has the same scope mount. One season my groups started opening up unexpectedly...turns out my ring screws were good but the base screws had loosened.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

As long as you dampen it on your tongue before running it through the barrel, after could be a problem. ;) You could probably get away with after a second shot.
    OP any of the CVA’s will work for you.
    I use Hornady shockwave sabots. Didn’t care for Powerbelts. I use a budget priced TC Impact. Sometimes a Hawken style .54 with roundball like Willtill’s.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Check out CVA Optima v2. Great performance for the price point. Mine loves 250 grain sabots and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. Devastating on white tails!

If you get one with a factory scope base, recommend blue Loctite on the screws before zeroing.
    I have the CVA Optima V2 with a fluted barrel and Nitride Coated I believe. Looks like a S.S. barrel. Anyhow good price and quality. Easy loading and breech plug unscrew.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I've seen so many people try and dump Power Belts. Enough to say they suck in most guns. I would dump the Hornadys and stick with a company that started out making BP sabots. I used T/C 250 gr Shockwaves with 3 pellets of Trip7. I got great accuracy with that set-up, but I was breaking scope rings. Later(and to this day) I went to 2 60gr pellets of Trip7 under Traditions 250gr sabots. I'm getting groups of an inch or less @ 100 yds.

I shoot a T/C Encore.

I like to moisten the sides of the sabot with my lips after several shots. It helps the bullet seat more easily.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I've seen so many people try and dump Power Belts. Enough to say they suck in most guns. I would dump the Hornadys and stick with a company that started out making BP sabots. I used T/C 250 gr Shockwaves with 3 pellets of Trip7. I got great accuracy with that set-up, but I was breaking scope rings. Later(and to this day) I went to 2 60gr pellets of Trip7 under Traditions 250gr sabots. I'm getting groups of an inch or less @ 100 yds.

I shoot a T/C Encore.

I like to moisten the sides of the sabot with my lips after several shots. It helps the bullet seat more easily.
    In my TC Arms Omega I use something similar. 250gr Shockwaves and 90gr loose Triple 7 FFG. Very, very accurate.

Interesting comment you made about moistening the sabot itself. Never heard of that before. I usually do a spit patch between shots myself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In my TC Arms Omega I use something similar. 250gr Shockwaves and 90gr loose Triple 7 FFG. Very, very accurate.

Interesting comment you made about moistening the sabot itself. Never heard of that before. I usually do a spit patch between shots myself.
    It's field expedient... :D

(just make sure no moisture gets under the sabot, only the sides)

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    CVA Optima 2.
    They sell a kit with rifle, scope and some accessories for around $350, keep an eye on their website for a sale.

Deer 2021.jpg

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I appreciate the recommendations, I went down in the basement to look at my boxes of sabots - I haven't yet tried either the shockwaves or the smackdowns so I will be picking up a box of both to try. I'll try them with my triple 7 pellets first because I don't really want to use loose powder unless I have to (solely for convenience).

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I appreciate the recommendations, I went down in the basement to look at my boxes of sabots - I haven't yet tried either the shockwaves or the smackdowns so I will be picking up a box of both to try. I'll try them with my triple 7 pellets first because I don't really want to use loose powder unless I have to (solely for convenience).
    I use 2 Triple 7 Magnum pellets (60 gr each) and Hornady 300gr SST's.
    Good accuracy, and great performance on deer within 125yds.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015

I shoot a T/C Encore.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I shoot a T/C Encore.

I use bore butter instead of saliva. YMMV.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I use 2 Triple 7 Magnum pellets (60 gr each) and Hornady 300gr SST's.
    Good accuracy, and great performance on deer within 125yds.
    If you can get pellets that are 50s and 60s you can tune it in 10gr increments which is nice. I run 120gr of powder so having 60gr pellets would alleviate the need to measure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use bore butter instead of saliva. YMMV.
    I've killed multiple deer in successive shots with my ML. I don't think I could have pulled that off if I took the time to schmear my sabots with bore butter between shots. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom