• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruthAloft

God, Family, Country -- In that order, always.
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2021
    Annapolis
    Someone I know said all they do is pour white vinegar into the jars. No water and no heating. He said just put them in the Frig and they will last a couple of months. Sounds easier. Might try that next.
    It'll work, but the problem is that using just 5% white vinegar will make them incredibly sour/tart (almost to the point of being inedible).

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    It'll work, but the problem is that using just 5% white vinegar will make them incredibly sour/tart (almost to the point of being inedible).
    I decided to just keep boiling with water and vinegar. I did 2 jars today and this time I put a teaspoon of pure natural honey in the pot as it was heating. I am trying the honey instead of using sugar. My goal is to take a little of the heat out of the peppers. I have not tasted it yet. I want to give them a couple of days in the Frig first. For some reason my peppers are really hot this year. I will let you know how they turn out.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    FWIW, Pickled jalapenos do not come with the pale color you are used to buying in the super market. If that is what you are comparing them too. The stuff in the stores is a pale dark yellow and pickled at home they stay green. I can eat pickled jalapenos from the store and pickled jalapenos at home are so hot they fry and mouth and my a$$.

Visible you can see the difference. I am not sure if this is where the confusion is coming from. Pickled jalapenos at home are HOT! Cooking reduces that, BUT pickling does not!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    FWIW, Pickled jalapenos do not come with the pale color you are used to buying in the super market. If that is what you are comparing them too. The stuff in the stores is a pale dark yellow and pickled at home they stay green. I can eat pickled jalapenos from the store and pickled jalapenos at home are so hot they fry and mouth and my a$$.

Visible you can see the difference. I am not sure if this is where the confusion is coming from. Pickled jalapenos at home are HOT! Cooking reduces that, BUT pickling does not!
    I am getting a lot of mine this year turning red. Do the red ones mean they are even hotter?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am getting a lot of mine this year turning red. Do the red ones mean they are even hotter?
    Yea, I have the same thing going on. I found through google FU, that when they turn red, they are less hot and the flavor profile changes as well. I have not tested them though. The wife picked a bunch of the green ones and made pepper jelly.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Exactly. Red peppers are just ripe green peppers.
    Both grill beautifully too & add a touch of color to a dish.
    Use them pretty much interchangeably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom