• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    +1 on the dog and another +1 on a Mossberg 500.

The other benefit to a dog, is ZERO repeat solicitation. I hold him by the collar when opening the door and he growls and whines until the salesperson leaves, usually somewhat frightened.

People have actually turned and walked away (very quickly) from the house once the 2 dogs get going.

tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    Several very Noose Neighbors
    My Dog who will alert the noose neighbors to turn their lights on and look out their windows in the event they were minding their own business for a split second.
    Alarm with battery backup
    9mm 357mag or 44Mag depending which room I happen to be in.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    spoticus.jpg
    Stoney is very loyal and protective. I'm 100% confident he will attack any stranger insid out house(since he will attack many strangers outside the house if i'm not doing my part to control him as his alpha). It's comforting to know Stoney will wake me up if someone is in the house. He's a pretty good shot now too.

crimson-trace-and-bone-coll.jpg

Jenni likes my p99.....sooooo......that's the one she'll have. My m&p9c with a 17 rnd mag and ct grips is my go-to gun. While I'm doin stuff around the apt(like now), the m&p9c is on my hip with 12 rnd mag in. It's light and easier to have on. At night, the full mag goes in for more control and capacity. I really like having the option to transform it between full-size and compact based on what mag is in it. I also REALLLLY like the trigger with all the APEX upgrades. The CT grip makes it very easy to make fast hits...even from retention, or even having the gun where I cannot be behind the sight in one way or another.
    ar-purdyweb.jpg

The ar is my preferred HD gun if I can get to it. Being in a townhouseish apartment, small/high-velocity/hp's make me feel better both for doing more damage to badguy and for limitiing overpenetration.
    spartan-shiney.jpg

Outside walking the dog and such, the spartan comes in handy. I have lots of respect for maryland carry laws:innocent0...so I'm limited to the knife. It's also been used for random handy tasks like cutting walking paths through trees and preparing dinner.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    I have an attack cat, a dog, and a Saiga 12, with a bright ass light attached to it, and hopefully soon a XDM 9 or 40. If I don't have a good grip on the dogs collar when someones at the door he has a tendency to bum rush the door. I've had people almost fall off the steps becuase he comes out so fast. But he isn't mean about it he just wants to see people fall.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    1 Loud dog (distraction)
    1 Assassin dog (flanker)
    1 wife who HATES to be woken up and would make Medusa piss herself in terms of attitude in that scenario
    1 Rem 870 under the bed loaded with 2 3/4" 00 buck and 3" 00 buck
    1 HK USP 40 loaded with 180gr Fed HSTs in another location for when I'm awake
    1 "No Trespassing" sign in my front yard

My bedroom door shakes when the front door is opened, which wakes up the dogs, which then immediately wakes wife and I up. End result? You die. The back door opens into a room that I HIGHLY doubt an intruder wants to be in......

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Out in the Country and love it.
    My yard has posted signs warning people to stay away.
    My house and out building have motion detector lighting.
    Doors are triple lock set-ups.
    Windows are all wired for alarm.
    Two Dogs.
    I always carry a 45when home.
    Saiga 12 with three loaded mags.
    Mossberg 18" set-up loaded.
    Stag 5L 6.8 loaded with 10 mags loaded.
    Numerous additional Firearms and mags loaded and ready to fire.
    Desire to defend myself and those I love.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    1. Nice alarm set up
    2. (2) lame fat ass cats that may make an intruder sneeze, or at least trip over them prior to doing anything else...kinda like kitty speed bumps perhaps :cool:
    3. Several items that go bang or crack within reach and no problem using them to protect what I love.

I too hope to never have to test out any of the above.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My daily carry gun is a Colt Commander (Series 80) with a C&S tactical high-grip safety, checkered flat mainspring housing, long C&S match trigger, C&S Ser. 80 Trigger Pull Reduction Kit. I'm breaking at about 5 lbs 6 oz. on average. Loaded with Winchester Ranger .45 ACP.

I was carrying my Beretta 92FS with standard WWB JHPs, but a friend gave me the Rangers so I switched to the .45. I may be carrying both the Beretta and the Colt during the G20 summit, one on the hip one in a shoulder holster. I also have a Steyr M40-A1 and a CZ-75B, all of which I have carried for at least a couple weeks. Due to my ammo situation (poor) I carry the gun for which I have the best ammo lol... I'm proficient with all of them.

For the house, as for now I keep my carry pistol next to my bed (cocked and locked), AR in the closet with a mag. Used to keep the Mossberg with 00 buck in the tube but it's at school right now where I'm making a stock for it. Anyone who's anyone in teaching firearms defense will tell you - use your pistol to fight to your long gun, so I think it's important to always have both somewhere nearby.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    I'm still waiting for a person to respond that they have holes in the floor covered be rugs and in these holes are punjii sticks, and that in case of a break in they have a panic room already setup.

this isn't shft.com or ARFCOM :lol:

this isn't shft.com or ARFCOM :lol:

Doesn't mean it won't happen! I can see it now the mall ninja will post something like this...

"Well at my house, I have trip wires setup all over the place inside and on the lawn, along with listening devices buried in the grass around the property, a bottle on the door handle, and 40 guns hidden around the house cocked and ready to shoot, I also have zip ties around to secure the intruders as I clear room to room with my Gold Desert Eagle with light laser attachment and suppressor."

You laugh, but I know that reply is coming.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Several pistols placed in several spots around the house. CCW around the property some of the time. Not allways. In house something is readily avalible in easy reach if needed. Bonus for not haveing children around to worry about where arms are at and if kids might find them.
    2 shotguns,1 semi, one pump.
    2 large 90+ lbs.dogs who do an amazing job of not allowing anyone to so much as look at the house without giveing a warning.
    1 dog no doupt would give up her life for us. The other, not quite sure.
    At night one sleeps in the bedroom with us. Other sleeps mid way between front and rear doors. Strange but neither dog was trained to protect or gaurd the house or us. Just instict I guess?
    Of course you would need to get past 3 attack cats first. A fur ball can be a nasty thing.:)
    A dog of any size or breed is probally the best alarm system anyone could have. Some might not be the best for protection. But for an alarm,tough to beat a dog:)
    Also have the usuall motion sensor flood lights around back. Locks ,dead bolts along with usual security measures everyone should practice.
    Close freinds with most neihbors with whom we all keep an eye out for each other.
    We also live in a stable area where everyone knows each other. This too helps keep crime down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom