• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD
    I just got a Magpul MS3 sling and ASAP mount but i do not have the appropriate tool to remove the receiver end plate where the mount needs to go. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the end plate without damaging it?

Thanks

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    its just in there. did you remove the buffer tube? you have to do that to get the end plate off. detent spring will come out if you arent careful. will kink when putting it back together if you arent careful also

Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD
    I should probably clarify that it is the castle nut that i need advice on removing without a castle nut wrench. I thought about using a punch and hammer to try and loosen the castle nut but I do not want to damage anything

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    remove buffer and buffer spring. slowly remove the castle nut and the end plate will loosen. like bigjohn said, slowly remove the plate and catch the detent spring. once you have that take the buffer tube off.

now repeat the process in the exact opposite way. should take 5-10 mins

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I should probably clarify that it is the castle nut that i need advice on removing without a castle nut wrench. I thought about using a punch and hammer to try and loosen the castle nut but I do not want to damage anything

do you have a castle nut wrench?? you'll need one of those or an armor's tool.

using a punch and hammer may damage the buffer tube

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I'd let you use mine, but it seems that you're kind of far away. Perhaps a strap wrench? Pipe wrench with rubber padding?

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is your castle nut staked?

Do you have a pair of curved-jaw vise grips? You can use them with something to protect the castle nut, like a thick piece of rubber or cardboard.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Them castle nuts can be a pain. I had to hit it with a mini torch to burn of te loctite. Just be careful. Is not very hard at all. Just take your time and make sure the wrench dont slip. Can bugger up the threads and you could bust up you hand.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'll be passing through sykesville this friday evening and I'll have a little spare time. If you would like, I can help you with your issue and I'll have the tools with me.

Just let me know.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I'll be passing through sykesville this friday evening and I'll have a little spare time. If you would like, I can help you with your issue and I'll have the tools with me.

Just let me know.

Justin are you going to be in Towson this weekend ?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Have you tried being gentle with a hammer? Instead of using a punch, use a small flathead screwdriver wrapped in tape. Just be gentle and see if you can tap it loose. If not, go out tomorrow and pick up a castle nut wrench.

Oh yeah, and like everyone else said be sure not to lose that stupid little spring and detent behind the plate.

Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD

Just let me know.

Thanks for the offer but I plan on taking a couple of guys to FreeState after work

The Home Depot near me did not have any idea what a castle nut wrench is and i couldn't find one. I may stop by the Home Depot near work tomorrow. Anyone know anyone else that carries them?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the offer but I plan on taking a couple of guys to FreeState after work

The Home Depot near me did not have any idea what a castle nut wrench is and i couldn't find one. I may stop by the Home Depot near work tomorrow. Anyone know anyone else that carries them?

You're going to have to get one online or at an industry partner. They are firearm specific and cannot be found at home depot, or lowes.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011

You can have mine, but you have to come get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom