• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I'm looking for a range to shoot pistol and rifle every once in a while. I mainly shoot clays, and I think I am going to stick with the ranges I normally frequent for that.

I am located in western Howard County, and anything within an hour drive is fine by me. Things I am looking for in this range:

1. A friendly atmosphere'
    2. Rules & Regulations that aren't 16 pages in length.
    3. 200 yard rifle range
    4. Clays would be a bonus, but not a requirement
    5. I am debating cost too. If I shoot pistol/rifle 4 times a year it would be a lot. So, I am thinking about places that are pay as you go, if that is possible, or somewhere around $100, maybe $150, a year for membership.

AGC is not an option.

Looked at the website for IWLA-Damascus and just trying to figure out what the rules are gave me a headache, along with the mandatory shotgun safety course. Looked at the IWLA-Mount Airy website, and cannot find anything on there about rules, but I know the 4 seconds between shots fired has me on the fence. Looked at Hap Baker's website and nothing turned me off there and it is a 30 minute drive and the rules plainly listed on the website. Think there might have been 16 rules, not 16 pages worth of rules.

So, what ranges am I missing out there? Probably should look at the NRA's range app.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Have you checked out Thurmont conservation and sport and club? Not far from the wegmans in Frederick, north on 15 to just past the memorial gardens and then roughly 10 minutes.

TCSC.org IIRC

Trap, pistol bays, cowboy action, rifle range out to 300 and plenty of other disciplines. Very active club and nice folks. Lots of members take their campers an camp on the property. They have a pool, a boat ramp and lots of folks fish in the Monocacy River which borders the property.

Annual fee may be higher than your target, but when I shot there during the week, I was often the only one one the property. Would happily still shoot there, but have been so busy, I let my membership lapse.

---
    Shamr0ck

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Only problems with Hap are it gets crazy busy on fall weekends, the road back can be iffy for some vehicles esp after rough weather, can only shoot rifles from bench rest through a box. That said, its the only range I target shoot rifles.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I drive by 340 defense semi-often, never been in there. Pay per visit is kinda expensive so a membership might make more sense if you plan to go a lot.

Ive watched a few Youtube videos of the place, looks pretty basic, few ranges cut into the earth , picnic tables and not many rules. I wouldn't imagine goofy 1 shot every 5 seconds and ammo restrictions apply. Looked like peeps had a lot of freedom which is on the same page I'm on

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Not entirely true. You can shoot outside the box if you make them aware of it first and you must do it right on the firing line.

The timing between shots at Hap Baker is minimum 2 seconds, not 4 seconds.

Couple years back I asked if I could (range was slow, only 3 of us on the line) and was told no.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Good thread Fabs i'm in the same boat. I'm considering TCSC, 340 defense, or one of the IWLA's. I was a member of the Frederick branch years ago, but the 8 hour RSO class on Sundays is keeping me from signing back up.

I really wish Peacemaker was closer. Does anyone know what their guest policy is BTW?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Good thread Fabs i'm in the same boat. I'm considering TCSC, 340 defense, or one of the IWLA's. I was a member of the Frederick branch years ago, but the 8 hour RSO class on Sundays is keeping me from signing back up.

I really wish Peacemaker was closer. Does anyone know what their guest policy is BTW?

http://www.peacemakernational.com/rifleRange

Public access @ $20/day on the Independence Range.

I don't see anything off-hand on guest of a member.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I belong to a range in adams county it's about 10 minutes from ski liberty.
    Have never seen another shooter there except close to hunting season. PM me if you want some info and also you go past the best bbq place around. Only a 100 yard rifle range.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So, why isn't AGC an option? Just Kidding!!!

lol - In looking at the thread responses, all I saw was "So, why isn't AGC an option?..." The "Just kidding!!!" saved you from a 3 page response. lol

I am on the fence about whether I want to post why AGC and Greenbelt Gun Club are pretty much off the list for me for the rest of my life. Thing is, I have nothing to gain by spending my time posting about the entire ordeal again, albeit in a forum this time where nothing will get deleted. There is no positive benefit to me to do so, other than feeling good about getting it off my chest. If I did not have a list of work and chores a mile long, I would take the time to draft it up.

This thread is a net positive for me. Hopefully, I can find a nice place to shoot at that will fit my requirements/expectations, or I will figure out that there isn't a single range in Maryland that I would consider to be decent.

Simply put, I am just looking for a place to shoot at that is like PG Trap & Skeet, but where I can shoot handguns and rifles. A place where I will not get yelled at as if I am a moron. A place where there will not be somebody constantly over my shoulder. A place where I do not need to hire an attorney to interpret a rule book for me. A place that does not require 8+ hours of classes and testing.

I used to shoot rifles at an IWLA in Loudon and there was no supervision of the "children" shooting. I had a good time there. After that, I used to shoot at a farm in Washington County where I could easily go out to 500 yards, but only ever went out to 200. At this rate, a farm with a tenant in a decent county in Pennsylvania might be the answer.

Some of these ranges I have looked at have a set of rules that are comparable to the Maryland Rules (for those unfamiliar with them, they are the court rules of procedure).

There, you got a 3 page response anyway.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    lol - In looking at the thread responses, all I saw was "So, why isn't AGC an option?..." The "Just kidding!!!" saved you from a 3 page response. lol

I am on the fence about whether I want to post why AGC and Greenbelt Gun Club are pretty much off the list for me for the rest of my life. Thing is, I have nothing to gain by spending my time posting about the entire ordeal again, albeit in a forum this time where nothing will get deleted. There is no positive benefit to me to do so, other than feeling good about getting it off my chest. If I did not have a list of work and chores a mile long, I would take the time to draft it up.

This thread is a net positive for me. Hopefully, I can find a nice place to shoot at that will fit my requirements/expectations, or I will figure out that there isn't a single range in Maryland that I would consider to be decent.

Simply put, I am just looking for a place to shoot at that is like PG Trap & Skeet, but where I can shoot handguns and rifles. A place where I will not get yelled at as if I am a moron. A place where there will not be somebody constantly over my shoulder. A place where I do not need to hire an attorney to interpret a rule book for me. A place that does not require 8+ hours of classes and testing.

I used to shoot rifles at an IWLA in Loudon and there was no supervision of the "children" shooting. I had a good time there. After that, I used to shoot at a farm in Washington County where I could easily go out to 500 yards, but only ever went out to 200. At this rate, a farm with a tenant in a decent county in Pennsylvania might be the answer.

Some of these ranges I have looked at have a set of rules that are comparable to the Maryland Rules (for those unfamiliar with them, they are the court rules of procedure).

There, you got a 3 page response anyway.

I'm not trying to open a whole can of worms but if the problem is with a particular club, there are 30 more to pick from. The AGC is a great facility and I hate to see someone give up on it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Hap and Caroll County Gun Club for shotgunning.

Yeah, I have shot at CCGC a couple times with Lou and company. Only reason CCGC does not really fit the bill for shotgunning is because it is only open Wednesday and Sunday and it only has trap. Now, if I am going to shoot trap on a day/time CCGC is open, then I am fine with the place. Problem is, my schedule is never constant and I never have the weekend completely off. So, PG Trap & Skeet fits the bill for my shotgunning and it offers pretty much all the different games.

However, I am seriously considering Hap. I might need somebody to introduce me to Hap. Plus, it is just down the street from Blue Point Crab House and one of my favorite mechanics. Great location.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm not trying to open a whole can of worms but if the problem is with a particular club, there are 30 more to pick from. The AGC is a great facility and I hate to see someone give up on it.

Yeah, the President of the Greenbelt Gun Club is also the chair person of the Range Safety & Standard Operating Procedure & Policy Committee at AGC. He requested that I meet with him to tell him my side of the story. I met with him and the Greenbelt Gun Club Board earlier this week, ..... To put it nicely, I was accused of yelling at and cussing out the RSO in front of my 8 year old and 6 year old on Father's Day. I think I am done with both entities.

This thread is me trying to move forward in a positive way, but if we must open the can of poo, so be it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Littlestown fish and game is a pretty decent range. 75 bucks for the year is a great deal, and you can shoot after dark. They have clays etc too. Should be about an hour from you.

http://www.sportingclayandtrap.org/

50 minutes away right up route 97, sporting clays, 5 stand, trap, 25, 50, 100, and 200 yard ranges, $75 a year, and no mention of Rules & Regulations on its website. This might be the winner as far as a membership is concerned.

Seems as though I can apply online for my membership and then show up at the monthly meeting or a Monday trap event and get my badge and access card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom