• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is there really any practical advantage of this caliber to the point where it warrants investment in this new caliber? Doesn’t seem like it. Feels like a lot of these niche calibers fill a void that doesn’t need to be filled.

Coming soon in 2022: .577 Minié Creedmoor

It's like anything else.. why do you do it? Because you can.. whether it's needed or not is irrelevant, especially to the designer. I know plenty of people who love to collect niche calibers. A friend of mine has a Glock g21 converted over to 460 Rowland. The ballistics of a 460 Rowland are very comparable to 44 Magnum. The ammunition is expensive but he carries one because....he can..

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's like anything else.. why do you do it? Because you can.. whether it's needed or not is irrelevant, especially to the designer. I know plenty of people who love to collect niche calibers. A friend of mine has a Glock g21 converted over to 460 Rowland. The ballistics of a 460 Rowland are very comparable to 44 Magnum. The ammunition is expensive but he carries one because....he can..

Awesome caliber, put this one together in 460 Rowland, complete with aluminum MDS grips. Best part is that even if 460 dries up, it will shoot 45ACP and super with 0 changes, and I have enough brass to load 460 pretty much forever. It took the barrel/comp and a spring, thats about it. I do like alternate calibers, but the big question IMO is what good is it if it doesn't take off. Can I get brass, or make it, can I use the rifle for something else, or just swap a barrel, and it's another 308. I can justify a build if the worst case is that it doesn't catch on, and I run out of brass or will to shoot it. Then just need a 308 or 6.5CM barrel, and it can join my other M5s. I really want to do a AR308/Aero M5 SBR, could do a 308, but have a 16", and it's about the minimum barrel length that makes sense, kinda like sub 10.5" 5.56, it's cool, but really takes a hit in ballistics and the flash / noise gets to be stupid, even with a can. The 8.6 looks like a perfect caliber to go SBR, would be cool to make a little 12.5" AR308, and it be useable and nice to shoot suppressed. They even have 8" barrels, and a PDW-ish AR10 that actually makes sense is just useable enough with subs, and just might be capable enough to justify a build.

View attachment 335515

Attachments

• 20220224_161719.jpg
      20220224_161719.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831