• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I’m thinking 4227 is too fast for heavies in 6.8.
    Should not fast, push more gas into cycling? I compared a bunch of typical reloading powders and found ones that work in larger cases as 30-30 and 30-06 with (3031 and 4198) gave me warnings in GRT. 4227, N120 or Reloader 7 look like the best from what i worked up. Am I wrong, possibly.

6.8 powder review.jpg

I am hoping PSA built something wrong, mis-aligned or just a failed gas block or something.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I’ve been known to plug barrels with my fingers and blow into the muzzle to determine if there are restrictions and misalignments with the gas block. If you know what it “should” feel like you can get a good idea. Also there are some powders that just do not create the right gas pulse to properly function an AR in some situations. You have to verify and gas flow and try some factory rounds to go much further here.
    Thanks, but I've wasted enough time bullets. I am dropping it off at Byron's expert as this task is about my amateur AR knowledge. Even if I found it was blocked or leaking, I'd feel better learning from him than trying this alone.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Thanks, but I've wasted enough time bullets. I am dropping it off at Byron's expert as this task is about my amateur AR knowledge. Even if I found it was blocked or leaking, I'd feel better learning from him than trying this alone.
    Hopefully he can eliminate at least half of your variables.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

Did you try a bolt from another AR?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Should not fast, push more gas into cycling? I compared a bunch of typical reloading powders and found ones that work in larger cases as 30-30 and 30-06 with (3031 and 4198) gave me warnings in GRT. 4227, N120 or Reloader 7 look like the best from what i worked up. Am I wrong, possibly.

View attachment 459635

I am hoping PSA built something wrong, mis-aligned or just a failed gas block or something.
    I saw no pressure signs on the brass you showed me. No swipes. No flow.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only other AR I have is a 556 and the bolts are not compatible. Daughter has a 6.5 with a different bolt. So, not really.
    But the carriers are the same, no? That's where the leak will occur, at the gas key-bolt carrier interface.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Hopefully he can eliminate at least half of your variables.
    I tried the blowing thing. I put an ear plug in the chamber of the 223 and 6.8 and blew threw them. I get about the same air flow, but I would think I should get more on the 6.8 as its wide open and the 223 is non adjustable. I put my finger over the gas tube in the receiver and do not sense any leaks, at least that I can notice. I seem to pressurize as I put my finger on it.

Felt a little gay sliding that flash hider in my mouth though.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    But the carriers are the same, no? That's where the leak will occur, at the gas key-bolt carrier interface.
    Don't know. I am pretty new to AR's and never did anything with them but load, shoot and clean them. I'm learning on the fly. Pretend your teaching your grandson. :D

So are you talking the tube on the bolt that slides on the gas tube and that seal leaking? I figured the force just blew it back and there was no seal.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I tried the blowing thing. I put an ear plug in the chamber of the 223 and 6.8 and blew threw them. I get about the same air flow, but I would think I should get more on the 6.8 as its wide open and the 223 is non adjustable. I put my finger over the gas tube in the receiver and do not sense any leaks, at least that I can notice. I seem to pressurize as I put my finger on it.

Felt a little gay sliding that flash hider in my mouth though.
    It’s probably your ammo then. Before I reload any semi auto I always run 500 rounds of good factory ammo to make sure function is 100%. At least then you know if it’s gun or ammo. My WAG is you powder isn’t right or they aren’t hot enough. Non adjustable gas block is basically wide open equivalent of an adjustable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s probably your ammo then. Before I reload any semi auto I always run 500 rounds of good factory ammo to make sure function is 100%. At least then you know if it’s gun or ammo. My WAG is you powder isn’t right or they aren’t hot enough. Non adjustable gas block is basically wide open equivalent of an adjustable.
    This^^^ is what I suggest to everyone. ARs need to 'seal' up/break in.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    So I tried some factory ammo. I found a box of Sellier & Bellot 110 grains and 2549 fps at the muzzle it says. First shot ejected back behind me and locked back. 2nd shot ejected to my side directly and no lock back. The gas block was on 7 clicks as per the instructions sent. Moved up 2 clicks each shot and it either limped out the side for ejection or did not eject at all. at 13 clicks open it failed to eject at all.

Lowered it back down and still no ejection. There is a gas system problem. I am ready to have it looked at or send back to PSA.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I tried some factory ammo. I found a box of Sellier & Bellot 110 grains and 2549 fps at the muzzle it says. First shot ejected back behind me and locked back. 2nd shot ejected to my side directly and no lock back. The gas block was on 7 clicks as per the instructions sent. Moved up 2 clicks each shot and it either limped out the side for ejection or did not eject at all. at 13 clicks open it failed to eject at all.

Lowered it back down and still no ejection. There is a gas system problem. I am ready to have it looked at or send back to PSA.
    At this point, I'd probably see about returning it. If any of us touches it mechanically, it would likely end up voiding any warranty.

Now, if PSA tells you to pound sand, then I would recommend having someone locally take a look at it.

ETA: Short of that, the only thing I would try is a different bolt carrier(with your 6.8 bolt in it) to see if the problem is with a leaky BCG. If the problem persists, then it is more than likely the gas block.

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Pete said he'd look at it and maybe its a buffer spring/weight. Maybe my lower build kit was not quite right. he's going to look at it and tell me what to do/buy/return.

I about ready to buy a bolt gun with an extended magazine at this point.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pete said he'd look at it and maybe its a buffer spring/weight. Maybe my lower build kit was not quite right. he's going to look at it and tell me what to do/buy/return.

I about ready to buy a bolt gun with an extended magazine at this point.
    One more example that shows AR-15s are NOT like Legos.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Seems to be a problem with a lot of these AR type rifles.
    Everyone of them is different and they seem to often have problems.

I've never had any issues with any of mine. They all run like a top. I have 5 .223s and 2 "other". I wonder if it is the ammo? I don't think there would be a problem with factory ammo but maybe some reloads could cause issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom