• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I totally agree. Ask him for the letter he has and who he spoke to and from where. I had copies of the code and names of the people that I spoke to when I went back. He (owner)didn't even want to call or read to clarify his stance, he just said "ok" and didn't charge the tax.

psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    Ask to see the 'letter'

Better to just actually report them. Comptroller's office doesn't enjoy people scamming folks and collecting money in their name. If they're doing this, the MSP will be having a few friendly visits with the owner...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Wow, upon further research collecting taxes fraudulently is a MAJOR offense.

But yeah, I'm going to report it, left a second message describing what happened in detail as well as that he has been doing this for years, and have my copy of the receipt he wrote me out.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think we had a thread some time back about some business (maybe Kinkos) collecting tax on 10 or 15¢. I think the Comptroller's Office "straightened them out" :D

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    But, but, I thought we were supposed to support all gun businesses in MD, regardless of shameless they are in taking advantage of people? Or is that rule just for the popular gun shops?

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have transferred more than a few guns into MD. I had a pawnshop in Frostburg charging me the MD sales tax in the early 2000's and then the salesman I dealt with left the business. From then on no sales tax was charged on transfers. I think he was pocketing the money?? Anyway I have another FFL I now go through and he does not charge the sales tax. Since Oct 1 2013 I am only purchasing guns on my C&R, no tax, no trip to the FFL, No MD BS.

Who's your new dealer, if you don't want to post it here send me a PM. I'm looking for one that's closer for me to use.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Yep they got me for sales tax once. I bought a gun on gunbroker and had it sent there and then they pulled that same BS. It was in their store and I was in between a rock and a hard place, so I paid it.:mad54: I had 4 more guns transferred and said FU to them and went to 2A! Never even considered going there ever again.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Better to just actually report them. Comptroller's office doesn't enjoy people scamming folks and collecting money in their name. If they're doing this, the MSP will be having a few friendly visits with the owner...

^This

I would report to the Comptroller's office that you will not be paying your use-tax on this particular item because the said Gun Shop is claiming they are required to collect the taxes upon transfer. Let the Comptroller know you believe this is a fraudulent process and you would like verification that this items use tax was actually paid by the gun shop. I wouldn't let the gun shop know you were doing this either so it doesnt give them any time to cook up some docs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom