• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Hi All,

New to the firearm arena. While talking to the wife the other day I mentioned buying a pistol for target shooting, and of course home defense. Surprisingly she was agreeable. We already have a shotgun, long story, but now need to find a place to target shoot as a family activity . Preferably one that rents guns so we can try before we buy. I found Maryland Small Arms Range, http://www.msar.com. Is it a nice place?

Also, where to get a good deal on a pistol? I have been looking at a P226 with Crimson Trace grips, but like I said we want to try it first.

We are probably looking at a 9mm, what is good, reasonably priced ammo?

Sorry for the long post, but we are excited about the hobby.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Welcome to the site. you can usually get 50 rounds of 9mm for about $12. Go to Bass Pro by the end of the month, all ammo is 10% off.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I am already addicted. Reading everything I can get my hands on. We already did the online training too. Just dropped it in the mail yesterday.

I live just out of St. Marys in Charles county, Charlotte Hall to be specific.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Maryland Small Arms can be intimidating for new shooters, and your wife and family might not feel comfortable there.

I've only been there twice, but that's just my impression. Great place for people who are already into the swing of things.

If you don't mind tarvelling north a bit. On Target in Severn is a much more family friendly environment. Ed, Helen or Tyrone are excellent to deal with and really know their stuff. They carry tons of handguns and have a decent indoor range.

www.ontargetdot.com

Even further north is Continental Arms. Again, friendly place with a great selection and a good indoor range. Several users here are employees there.

You know they must be good people judging by the company they keep. :rolleyes:

http://www.continentalarms.com/web/

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just ran a mapquest on On Target, unfortunately, they are 60 miles away. The wife won't be too excited about that.

I was afraid that MSAR was going to be an intimidating place.
    Go with someone who is a little experienced and you will be fine.
    On Target might be worth the trip for the first time though. Someone a while back said they have a safety class followed by live fire: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=19319&postcount=2

I think MDSA has classes too, but I think they are just for people going for their security guard certification or something.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Welcome to the forum!!!

Welcome!!! I am a member and a dealer who gives deals to forum members!
    If you want a gun at a great price call me!!! Watch for group buys and other specials for forum members only!!!:thumbsup:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    MDSA isn't so much intimidating as discouraging- lots of security guards shooting the ceiling, poor ventilation and generally run down. You might be better off finding a gun club closer to where you live, or someplace just over the border in VA. A lot of it depends on your specific location....

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I can't believe how friendly everyone is here. That is so cool. I go to so many other forums, non-gun related, and there is just so much BS and there usually ends up being very few friendly and helpful members.

VA is a short drive. Any good ranges near the Nice bridge?

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland

I am already addicted. Reading everything I can get my hands on. We already did the online training too. Just dropped it in the mail yesterday.

I live just out of St. Marys in Charles county, Charlotte Hall to be specific.

I recommend you email me for info on local FFLs, purchasing firearms, places (clubs to shoot) and various types of shooting activities from IDPA to Sporting clays and everything (almost) in between.
    I am a member of Sanners Lake in Lexington Park which is about a half hour from you going south. Great place, friendly and family orientated. (spell checker is off). Most events are open to the public without membership requirement.

flounderdpo

Feb 3, 2008
    edgewater
    x 2 on sanners lake, great club good people, stay away from the shotgun range unless you have thick skin though, the ribbing is pretty tough there. haha just kidding you will go from no handgun experience to an idpa shoot in no time there the members are a very friendly bunch willing to teach the right way to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom