• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Picked up a new, old school upper. 9mm DOE Clone. DOE is Department of Energy. They were apparently used by security at Nuclear Power Plants in the 1980's. The full gun was the Colt RO633. The originals have integral carry handle uppers. This one has a flat top upper so that I can add a a red dot optic if I want. I put a detachable carry handle/rear sight on the upper, to give it the "correct look". The originals also used the standard Colt 32 round straight mags. I just stuck a 9mm EndoMag in for the picture. But those mags will be more convenient to use anyway as opposed to dropping in the mag well insert. And overall length does not matter. This is sitting on a RR full auto lower.

Very cool! The DOE 9mm’s have always intrigued me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Picked up a new, old school upper. 9mm DOE Clone. DOE is Department of Energy. They were apparently used by security at Nuclear Power Plants in the 1980's. The full gun was the Colt RO633. The originals have integral carry handle uppers. This one has a flat top upper so that I can add a a red dot optic if I want. I put a detachable carry handle/rear sight on the upper, to give it the "correct look". The originals also used the standard Colt 32 round straight mags. I just stuck a 9mm EndoMag in for the picture. But those mags will be more convenient to use anyway as opposed to dropping in the mag well insert. And overall length does not matter. This is sitting on a RR full auto lower.

I love holding firecrackers when they go off!
    That thing looks like a lot of fun. Nice find.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    Playtoy I just purchased, still in NFA jail

Attachments

• 5E08CB59-C61F-4771-BBF6-C71B8E09A9CE.jpg
      5E08CB59-C61F-4771-BBF6-C71B8E09A9CE.jpg
      105.7 KB · Views: 459

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Picked up a new, old school upper. 9mm DOE Clone. DOE is Department of Energy. They were apparently used by security at Nuclear Power Plants in the 1980's.
    I think DOE nuclear couriers used those too. Love me some Colt 9mm. Working on my Colt SMG clone.

The originals also used the standard Colt 32 round straight mags. I just stuck a 9mm EndoMag in for the picture. But those mags will be more convenient to use anyway as opposed to dropping in the mag well insert.
    Reliable mags, but heavy. I’ll have to try an Endomag someday.

And overall length does not matter. This is sitting on a RR full auto lower.
    You didn’t have to flex that hard. :worship:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I think DOE nuclear couriers used those too. Love me some Colt 9mm. Working on my Colt SMG clone.

Reliable mags, but heavy. I’ll have to try an Endomag someday.

You didn’t have to flex that hard. :worship:

It is very compact and would be easy to carry and use in a vehicle. Something like 21" OAL with the stock collapsed.

I have not had any problem with the Endomags, but you should also look at the CMMG AR9 conversion mags. From what i understand, they are a better long term design.

Yea having that extra position on the selector switch is a REALLY nice option! :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is very compact and would be easy to carry and use in a vehicle. Something like 21" OAL with the stock collapsed.

I have not had any problem with the Endomags, but you should also look at the CMMG AR9 conversion mags. From what i understand, they are a better long term design.

Yea having that extra position on the selector switch is a REALLY nice option! :D
    If they are the ones that look like Endo mags, they are made by the same company theoretically (Mean). I bought the CMMG versions for a Banshee build.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Finally had a chance to shoot my M11/9 again last Sunday with the Thompson club over at AGC. It has been probably five years since the last time I did it. I tried not to think about how much money 150 rounds of 9mm costs the days. :) My ASR brake even stayed put, which was good. Next time I'll put a can on there and see how hot I can get it.

I did have some functioning problems with the old cheapo IMI 115gr I had in one or two of the mags, but all-in-all, good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom