• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    What is the deal with the barrels on the Nighthawk Predators? Is there really any improvment there over a bushingless bull barrel? Is this an improvement on accuracy? I can't see having an extra half ounce of metal at the muzzle making a huge impact on balance, handling, etc.

Practical improvement in theory, but in reality mostly for show is my undecated guess.

School me otherwise.

Predator_8.jpg

Predator_4.jpg

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my wilson tactical elite has this as well. makes sense to me that a little more weight at the end of the gun will help reduce muzzle rise.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    my wilson tactical elite has this as well. makes sense to me that a little more weight at the end of the gun will help reduce muzzle rise.

Every little bit helps I guess. I wonder if you shot two pistols similar in every other way back to back if you could tell the difference. I know you can with ported guns, if you can live with the other drawbacks that come along with porting.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    If nothing else, it looks kinda cool. Something to differentiate Nighthawk from their competition?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just remember, as Chad would say, as you deviate from JMB's original design the gun may get less reliable. Even on a Nighthawk.

What is the takedown procedure?

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County

What is this "takedown procedure you speak of my good man? Don't you know what one of those pistols cost? I do not require a "takedown procedure," I merely hand it to my butler and tell him to clean it.

Seriously though, have you seen how much these pistols cost??? I feel fairly confident I could take a bone-stock 1911 and hand a blank check to Chad and get a much better product for less. Even taking into consideration his expenses at the strip club.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    What is this "takedown procedure you speak of my good man? Don't you know what one of those pistols cost? I do not require a "takedown procedure," I merely hand it to my butler and tell him to clean it.

Seriously though, have you seen how much these pistols cost??? I feel fairly confident I could take a bone-stock 1911 and hand a blank check to Chad and get a much better product for less. Even taking into consideration his expenses at the strip club.

Not hard to do; he never tips me when I'm on stage.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Just remember, as Chad would say, as you deviate from JMB's original design the gun may get less reliable. Even on a Nighthawk.

I bet it is well engineered and not to bad . I also bet it is easier than a Ruger 22 pistol ! I am sure the accuracy is very good .

I would think the slide stop is the king pin and just no bushing

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

i can't vouch for the nighthawk, but if you shot my tac elite you wouldn't be speculating about it being 'less reliable.' it costs a buttload of money, but it absolutely gets the job done.

takedown, for mine, is pull the slide back, stick a small pin in the guide rod which keeps the guide rod assembly compressed (that part is a pain in the butt), then slide release pin out, pull the slide off and start cleaning.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Nighthawk turned me off their guns when they hired a high school kid to design their web site about seven years ago. Too much stupid Flash.

As for the cost, yep, I know their price range.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Other than the service on the company end of things, I don't think you could build a pistol just as good, certainly no better than, for any cheaper. These things are in a different world than other pistols. I'm not saying that you can't get one built better, but I don't think it would be cheaper if it were better, I don't even really see how it could be built any better though. From what I have seen, the nighthawks tend to run a little cheaper than the comparable version from Wilson. By a fair amount too. I assume the name has some to do with that, but I suppose it could be service related as well.

Any chance you have one, or have handled one?

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    indeed a little weight on the front of the barrel can reduce muzzle flip enough to feel the difference. as far as the price, it is very high but the guns i hear are worth every penny.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    indeed a little weight on the front of the barrel can reduce muzzle flip enough to feel the difference. as far as the price, it is very high but the guns i hear are worth every penny.

A little, sure. This little, extending only about 3/8" from the muzzle? I am skeptical.

I cant tell you exactly why - but it looks to be a bushing -less design. Probably to ensure that lock up is exactly the same each time.

Website says the slide does not even make contact with the end. Initially, I was thinking the same thing as you.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Other than the service on the company end of things, I don't think you could build a pistol just as good, certainly no better than, for any cheaper. These things are in a different world than other pistols. I'm not saying that you can't get one built better, but I don't think it would be cheaper if it were better, I don't even really see how it could be built any better though. From what I have seen, the nighthawks tend to run a little cheaper than the comparable version from Wilson. By a fair amount too. I assume the name has some to do with that, but I suppose it could be service related as well.

Any chance you have one, or have handled one?

No, I will admit I have not had the chance to handle or shoot a Nighthawk pistol. I have shot Wilson Combat and Les Baer, but that's where my foray into super-high-dollar 1911's starts and ends.

I'm not saying the Nighthawk is a bad pistol for the money. From all I have read the frames are forged and they do not use any MIM parts whatsoever (which I would expect for that kind of money.) I would have to really run one through the ringer to give an honest assessment. I'm hardly trying to be an internet wizard who just regurgitates what others say on the web, I was merely making a joke about the price.

For the money though I found my favorite 1911 out of the higher-dollar custom pieces to be a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup National Match. It felt like the most complete and accurate pistol without adding a lot of unnecessary (to me) features. Certainly the accuracy was well beyond my own capabilities as a shooter as was the accuracy from the Wilson and Les Baers I tried. Without a mechanical rest I would have no ability to judge the difference, if any, in that area. When you break it down to the "nuts and bolts" I found a preferred the GI guide rod, the not-too-oversized non-ambi safety, and minimal extended beavertail of the GCNM over the others. Again, those were enough without being over the top.

So that's really my benchmark for judging other 1911's. I will admit that when I see a 1911 with a lot of bells and whistles I am slightly judgmental. To me I prefer the platform as Spartan as possible. So that's where my response is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom