• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    After buying factory 208gr 300blk subsonics, I was going to take my hand at reloading the same.
    But the Hornady website says its no longer selling 208gr 308 Amax bullets.
    So what is everyone using for an accurate 300blk subsonic bullet?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Yeah that thing I was going to call it LED.

So much bullet and only using a fraction of its abilities. For a subsonic 300 BO seems like overkill. Watching their promotional videos about how this tip doesn't melt etc, is a sub 300 BO even going fast enough to do that? Also it's not going fast enough to open up either, it's going to act just like a FMJ and with it being so slippery probably won't Yaw either.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah that thing I was going to call it LED.

So much bullet and only using a fraction of its abilities. For a subsonic 300 BO seems like overkill. Watching their promotional videos about how this tip doesn't melt etc, is a sub 300 BO even going fast enough to do that? Also it's not going fast enough to open up either, it's going to act just like a FMJ and with it being so slippery probably won't Yaw either.

No a subsonic projectile won't get hot enough to melt a polymer tip. The eld would be a waste at subsonic speeds. A bthp would be much better suited.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know if there's anything that will expand much sub-sonic. There definitely seems to be a gap in .308-300 blk realm for now. Hopefully this will change. Probably won't be easy making a bullet soft enough to expand at those low velocities and still keep it's integrity/accuracy through it's trip down the barrel.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a bunch of 30cal 208 amax I would sell. Email me if interested. The new bullet is the ELD and I can verify w back to back testing in 6.5 creedmoor against the old amax the new ELD is superior at supersonic speeds. As said, probably makes no difference to subs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 225gr BTHP Hornady is what I always used for subs, they were easier to find than the 220gr SMK/208gr Amax - at that time.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I don't know if there's anything that will expand much sub-sonic. There definitely seems to be a gap in .308-300 blk realm for now. Hopefully this will change. Probably won't be easy making a bullet soft enough to expand at those low velocities and still keep it's integrity/accuracy through it's trip down the barrel.

Lehigh Defense makes a few .300BLK rounds that expand at subsonic speeds. Not cheap but if you want to use subsonic for home defense these are what I would use. They make a few flavors the Controlled Fracture and the 194gr Maximum expansion. These are pretty much the only subsonic ammo I am aware of the will expand.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/300-aac-blackout-whisper

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Outlaw state bullets supposedly make an expanding subsonic 300 BO. I don't have any credible data but I remember reading about it somewhere, if someone was looking, might give them another starting point.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just got a bunch of Leather Neck coated 220 gr projectiles. Have some loaded to test, but haven't tried them. If the bullets don't expand, no reason not to go with a cast bullet. They are cheap.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member