• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Will coated cast bullets lead up a suppressor? Im not familiar w/ how well the coating stays intact, esp at the base, when fired. I've only shot plated/jacketed though the suppressors so far.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    WY
    Pointy bullets at subsonic velocities tend not to track straight in soft targets, especially if bone is struck. Only specialized (expensive) bullets will really expand at those velocities. You could do a lot worse than using a flat nosed 180gr 30-30 bullet. Cheaper, too.

B.C. means little at 1000fps. Think, "pool cue" :) THWAK.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Got to test new TomKat Ammo 300 BLK ELDs

I got a chance to test fire 10 rounds of the New TomKat Ammo (IP) 300 Blackout 208 gr with the new Hornady ELD bullets. This was from my 16" Hardened Arms HBAR 300 blk that I bought from TomKat last year. Shooting at 50 yards in this video.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    I just got a bunch of Leather Neck coated 220 gr projectiles. Have some loaded to test, but haven't tried them. If the bullets don't expand, no reason not to go with a cast bullet. They are cheap.

You mean Leatherhead bullets? http://leatherheadbullets.com/

I've been the using the 220 grain as a less expensive option to the 180 SMK HPBT for subsonic. Great low cost bullet, I'm getting about the same accuracy out to 100 yards. As for expansion, the only way I can get any expansion is to shoot at steel.

I'm tempted to drill a 1/8" hole in the bullet point and see if it opens up.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Will coated cast bullets lead up a suppressor? Im not familiar w/ how well the coating stays intact, esp at the base, when fired. I've only shot plated/jacketed though the suppressors so far.

I've got about 200 rounds of Leatherhead bullets through my AAC Cyclone with no leading at all when checked with a borescope. Likewise, the barrel shows no leading and no copper deposits to deal with. Several of the coated cast lead bullets I've seen are using Hi-Tek Supercoat, http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/.

TomKat ammo uses Hex Boron Nitride combined with a colored epoxy - it may be similar to Hi-Tek, but I can't offer any personal experience with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You mean Leatherhead bullets? http://leatherheadbullets.com/ I've been the using the 220 grain as a less expensive option to the 180 SMK HPBT for subsonic. Great low cost bullet, I'm getting about the same accuracy out to 100 yards. As for expansion, the only way I can get any expansion is to shoot at steel. I'm tempted to drill a 1/8" hole in the bullet point and see if it opens up.

Yep. Leather Head. I'm not going on any "missions", just plinking. Not worried about expansion.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Will do. My main intent is to work up subs for my 300 blk. and maybe some supers. I don't own a .308 rifle.:thumbsup:

I have a few hundred 208gr amax that I have yet to work up a load for. That is my intent as well, 300 subs.

I can tell you that the eldx work great in 6.5cm but that's the only experience I have with them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom