• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I guess when I'm at work I worry about doing my job and getting the overall mission done. I could care less if the person next to me has the same work ethic. Regardless if a private company or the tax base is writing the check. I've never meet a successful person who let the guy next to them dictate their production.

Sustainable or not is a conversation to be had. But crying and complaining about not having certain benefits when it is rather easy to obtain those benefits is counter productive at best.

You don't have to be a .Gov worker to get those benefits. You do have to work your tail off and focus on your work. The other option is to apply to those places offering those oh so glorious benefits folks described.

If I wanted 50% off of Apple products I'd go work for them. If I wanted a six figure salary I'd find that upper management spot and strive to get it. If 4 weeks of vacation was important to me I'd negotiate that with my employer. But complaining about what someone else gets is very counter productive to the whole thing.

At the end of the day we are all just trying to find a good seat on the Titanic. Worry about getting a seat that fits you not the person next to you.

This is going to go over like a lead ballon but here goes: federal paychecks and benefits are paid for by the taxpayers. So yeah some of us get our knickers in a wad when we see a guy getting 30 paid days off a year while the "company" they work for is drowning in debt.
    Please don't take it personally, I don't dislike .gov workers. I very much dislike the entire federal employment system. I think there are way,way, way too many federal jobs.
    If you got your slice of the cheese though, well good for you.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Well certainly not EVERYONE could do it but plenty of folks who complained in this thread could.

I would venture to say if they posted their current job there is a corresponding .gov that would give them the benefits they strive for. Some might be exempt for education or criminal back round but there is a mirror on the wall for that problem.

That last line has me laughing out loud, but it's brutal honesty. And many don't want to hear it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This is going to go over like a lead ballon but here goes: federal paychecks and benefits are paid for by the taxpayers. So yeah some of us get our knickers in a wad when we see a guy getting 30 paid days off a year while the "company" they work for is drowning in debt.
    Please don't take it personally, I don't dislike .gov workers. I very much dislike the entire federal employment system. I think there are way,way, way too many federal jobs.

I am in favor of deleting several federal agencies that I believe should be returned and controlled by the state. The mission of the federal government should be very narrowly tailored to the constitution IMHO. But again....all that stuff is a different conversation then what was in this thread.

My comments weren't directed at .Fed but rather .local gov which in its own right can be bloated but not nearly as much waste that is associated with the federal system.

Dec 31, 2012
    I am in favor of deleting several federal agencies that I believe should be returned and controlled by the state. The mission of the federal government should be very narrowly tailored to the constitution IMHO. But again....all that stuff is a different conversation then what was in this thread.

My comments weren't directed at .Fed but rather .local gov which in its own right can be bloated but not nearly as much waste that is associated with the federal system.

This doesn't jive with your previous comments of "I got mine so I ignore the waste".

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Federal employees pay taxes too. So technically on their "higher than everyone else' pay", pay more tax. These arguments always have Fed employees not paying taxes. We're citizens too.

Do you know how long it takes to start getting 8 hours annual leave? 15 years. So it's not automatic. You have to get there first. 15 years isn't a cakewalk. Until then it's 6 a pay period from your third year. And 4 when you start.
    Day one of employment you aren't sitting on your amount of leave, it accumulates pay by pay.

Hell, my wife started a new job back in January. She has her three weeks vacation days to use from day one. They replenish January first again. The private sector is able to do that since they aren't regulated by law.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This doesn't jive with your previous comments of "I got mine so I ignore the waste".

That's a direct quote?

My comment was to all those complaining about low paying jobs with little benefits was to apply to one of these oh so great jobs they talk about. If someone's past, lack of education or criminal back round, doesn't allow for that then maybe they shouldn't complain.

I don't see a direct conflict between my posts. Stop crying and go get yours rather it be in the private sector or .Gov.

I know plenty of folks in private sector that have great pay and benefits but they are the smarter and harder workers. They certainly didn't reach that level by worrying about how hard the guy next to them is working...or at least not until they became management.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Your uncle says that he is going to pay you $100 to sit in a chair. When he pays you, he tells you that you have to give him $25 and you get $75. It was your uncles money to begin with so in reality, he only paid you $75 to sit in the chair.
    The neighbor says that she will pay you $100 to build her a dog house. When you are finished, she tells you that she has to give your uncle $25 of the $100 that she was going to pay you because your uncle is a big brute and intimidates her.

Do government employees really pay taxes or is their uncle only paying them the $75?

Just some food for thought.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Your uncle says that he is going to pay you $100 to sit in a chair. When he pays you, he tells you that you have to give him $25 and you get $75. It was your uncles money to begin with so in reality, he only paid you $75 to sit in the chair.
    The neighbor says that she will pay you $100 to build her a dog house. When you are finished, she tells you that she has to give your uncle $25 of the $100 that she was going to pay you because your uncle is a big brute and intimidates her.

Do government employees really pay taxes or is their uncle only paying them the $75?

Just some food for thought.

Yeah. What a scam. The salary says $110k but it's really $68k Gotcha. So, who is getting my $42k? People in the private sector?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you work for .gov how much have your insurance premiums increased? How about your deductibles? How about your prescription plan?

Many in the private sector have not gotten a raise, either. They are also paying fomr 50%-400% more per month for health insurance, have a $6000 deductible, and pay an awful lot more for prescriptions. I do not see a corresponding trend in those with federal Blue Cross. Enjoy your raise. :)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you know what, screw the state employees. i just got tossed out of the dmv at 5pm sharp even though my agent was emailing my insurance proof needed to get new tags. they couldn't wait even 5 minutes for their "customer." and on top of that, they've taken over a month to send me my tags for my new motorcycle, and then had the gall to say if my temp tags were expiring i could pay them to have them extended.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you work for .gov how much have your insurance premiums increased? How about your deductibles? How about your prescription plan?

Many in the private sector have not gotten a raise, either. They are also paying fomr 50%-400% more per month for health insurance, have a $6000 deductible, and pay an awful lot more for prescriptions. I do not see a corresponding trend in those with federal Blue Cross. Enjoy your raise. :)

That's obamacare? Right?
    I pay $582 a month for self plus one. And the other minutiae. When I officially retire this year, it will be on about $40k a year. I'll pay my same premiums (I think).
    I pay no deductible for office visits or prescriptions. So, that's what I'm retiring on, is money for healthcare and nothing else.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1474501981840.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1474501981840.jpg
      22.3 KB · Views: 98
    Dec 31, 2012
    I guess when I'm at work I worry about doing my job and getting the overall mission done. I could care less if the person next to me has the same work ethic.
    At the end of the day we are all just trying to find a good seat on the Titanic. Worry about getting a seat that fits you not the person next to you.

That's a direct quote?

My comment was to all those complaining about low paying jobs with little benefits was to apply to one of these oh so great jobs they talk about. If someone's past, lack of education or criminal back round, doesn't allow for that then maybe they shouldn't complain.

Go back and read my post about applications. I've applied many many times and have been well qualified and even over qualified but the hiring system isn't exactly what you're making it out to be. If it was a system based on open competition and merit then some of the people filling the seats would be out on their asses for extreme lack of efficiency. The tenured and non-competitive nature of government jobs make them worth far more than the salary and benefits alone. That same tenured status also makes them magnets for those who just want to park their asses until retirement. If you're not pushing the system to higher efficiency then you're helping propagate by inaction the very stereotype that you're taking offense at. So yes you should be concerned about the schmuck in the next cubicle who slacks off all day because it reflects on you since you're part of the same team.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's obamacare? Right?
    I pay $582 a month for self plus one. And the other minutiae. When I officially retire this year, it will be on about $40k a year. I'll pay my same premiums (I think).
    I pay no deductible for office visits or prescriptions. So, that's what I'm retiring on, is money for healthcare and nothing else.

A lot of companies have gone to very high deductible plans. The cost of insurance is skyrocketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom