• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Is there still an online portion you can do for the basic pistol? I am asking because of time constraints.
    I have RSO and Rifle. I want to get pistol and will need BIT again

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    "Candidates must attend the basic course prior to attending the instructor course for any discipline they wish to obtain. For the NRA pistol certification, candidates must take the Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training (ILT) prior to attending the instructor training. "

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    If anyone wants to be "on the list" for future classes then email Dwight. We schedule them when we have enough people to do it. No commitment to be on the waiting list. We do most of the NRA student and instructor classes.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I typically do post them but we don't schedule them till we have enough for the minimum class. If nobody commits to wanting a class then we don't schedule it...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't really have a dog in this fight but euler (and another TC) are offering a pretty darn good deal. I know what I have invested in accumulating these and other ratings and this class arrangement is a bargain, not to mention a logistical cakewalk. Not having to find a class to take, then find another place to take the instructor course would have appealed to me.

To those on the fence, I would suggest getting the instructor rating, even if you never teach the class. Not only does it get you out of the PITA of w&c renewal class, but you can jump in and help other instructors when they have larger classes. As an example, MSI sponsored a women on target event and I went to help the TC who led it. I doubt the TC made anything and the staff of instructors were all volunteers to my knowledge.

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    @euler357 Does the older NRA Basic Pistol Course fulfill the student course prerequisite? I think it is essentially the same course, but it looks like they've changed the name slightly, and are now calling it the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course.

Last edited:

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    "For the NRA pistol certification, candidates must take the Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training (ILT) prior to attending the instructor training. "

As long as you can produce a certificate for an NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (not online/hybrid), I believe it's fine. All of the pre-hybrid courses were instructor led.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So even NRA Training Division is admitting their online/ hybrid courses are substandard ?

Longhorse

MSI Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2021
    "For the NRA pistol certification, candidates must take the Basics of Pistol Shooting Instructor Led Training (ILT) prior to attending the instructor training. "

As long as you can produce a certificate for an NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (not online/hybrid), I believe it's fine. All of the pre-hybrid courses were instructor led.

Okay, thanks. Yes, the pre-hybrid Basic Pistol Course was instructor led.

If there is doubt then just do it again folks. This is a hell of a bargain for the classwork based on the research I've done

It is a bargain. The potential issue for me is more one of scheduling.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I don't really have a dog in this fight but euler (and another TC) are offering a pretty darn good deal. I know what I have invested in accumulating these and other ratings and this class arrangement is a bargain, not to mention a logistical cakewalk. Not having to find a class to take, then find another place to take the instructor course would have appealed to me.

To those on the fence, I would suggest getting the instructor rating, even if you never teach the class. Not only does it get you out of the PITA of w&c renewal class, but you can jump in and help other instructors when they have larger classes. As an example, MSI sponsored a women on target event and I went to help the TC who led it. I doubt the TC made anything and the staff of instructors were all volunteers to my knowledge
    I have volunteered for numerous WoT classes. They are a lot of fun. The ladies are great to work with.

@euler357 I def want to get the pistol instructor cert too. The scheduling killed this time for me. If you guys offer it again at this price, I am in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom