• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The message on that letter from Virginia has changed again, so maybe whatever wrinkles existed were ironed out?
    Letter from the Commonwealth of Virginia to the Clerk notifying the Court of the Commonwealth’s change in position of Commonwealth of Virginia submitted.
    Main Document

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    was just reviewing this thread... ya know. the highlighted part.

it's been a while since i've done the public land hunts in delaware, but if the ones in maryland are similar, they would seem to be prohibited areas.

mornings at delaware public hunts, bombay, prime hook, and some of the state places, had more the 15 people with firearms, gathered for entertainment.

seems like the kind of place a DEDICATED officer could troll early in the morning, if they went all LETTER OF THE LAW on this one.

Here's the assembly bill: https://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?d...ttee%26nbspVotes=Y&Floor%26nbspVotes=Y#A08684

4 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm when he or she:
    5 (1) possesses any firearm [or]; (2) lawfully possesses a firearm prior
    6 to the effective date of [the] chapter one of the laws of two thousand
    7 thirteen [which added this section] subject to the registration require-
    8 ments of subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter and
    9 knowingly fails to register such firearm pursuant to such subdivision;
    10 or (3) knowingly has in his or her possession a rifle, shotgun, or
    11 firearm in or upon the following locations:
    12 (a) Any form of public transportation, including but not limited to
    13 railroads, ride sharing services, paratransit services, subways, buses,
    14 air travel, taxis or any other public transportation service;
    15 (b) Food and drink establishments; or
    16 (c) Large gatherings, which for the purposes of this section shall
    17 mean a gathering together of fifteen or more persons for amusement,
    18 athletic, civic, dining, educational, entertainment, patriotic, poli-
    19 tical, recreational, religious, social, or similar purposes.

A bit of a tougher call on the public transportation but B and C make the leap from government controlled locations over to privately controlled locations. Pretty clear this is an end run around what we expect the SCOTUS decision to be. "Large gatherings" doesn't even specify a place.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    And Hawaii weighs in, sounding like a plan for passive resistance to a pro2a ruling.

6month permit, 22hrs per permit cycle… other points. Take a gander. Yeah! Let’s call it passive resistance. Next up will be million$ app FEES, training FEES, psych evaluation FEES… for a 2 week permit.

If the ruling is pro 2a, I hope it somehow implicates this kind of thing preemptively.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/h...2-hours-of-training-mandate-carrying-a-taser/

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    And Hawaii weighs in, sounding like a plan for passive resistance to a pro2a ruling.

6month permit, 22hrs per permit cycle… other points. Take a gander. Yeah! Let’s call it passive resistance. Next up will be million$ app FEES, training FEES, psych evaluation FEES… for a 2 week permit.

If the ruling is pro 2a, I hope it somehow implicates this kind of thing preemptively.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/h...2-hours-of-training-mandate-carrying-a-taser/

That's not all. They can prevent you from getting a permit if you "appear" mentally deranged or don't "appear" to be a "suitable" person to be licensed

(2) Appear to be a suitable person to be so licensed;
    (3) Not be prohibited under section 134—7 from the
    ownership or possession of a firearm; [aad]
    (4) Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be
    mentally deranged

All in all this is a blatant attempt at nullifying a SCOTUS opinion by making it so onerous and burdensome to get a permit that people just won't bother. 22 hours is essentially 3 days of training each 6 months. You don't get trained for free, so that's a few hundred dollars plus whatever the license fee (not bad at 10$), plus now you need to buy a taser if you don't have one. And I highly doubt the authorities will be so on the ball that there won't be lapses in people's permits. It's also laughable that the legislature finds it is prudent for someone to also carry a taser when not too long ago there was a flat ban on tasers.

Oh and to make it more obvious it states that if you had a license before a certain date then you only have to renew annually. Guess what the date is? July 1, 2022. Mere days after SCOTUS' anticipated release of NYSRPA.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    The Court has to be aware of this. What if the Court opines that any license, resident or non, from any state has nationwide legal recognition? Simple, no?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The Court has to be aware of this. What if the Court opines that any license, resident or non, from any state has nationwide legal recognition? Simple, no?

Maybe a few individual SCOTUS members may be aware if they follow pro-2A media, but it's still only a bill, not a law, and therefore no real concern of any court's, let alone SCOTUS.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    22 hours of training for a six month permit, that is almost an hour a week. I would venture to say the average police office in Hawaii does not train that much just on gun safety. RIDICULOUS

Nobody

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The SCOTUS just needs to say that any of these silly new Stae defined requirements must be applied to all State agents and/or contractors who carry a gun for their jobs.

Police, body guards, security, etc.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    The SCOTUS just needs to say that any of these silly new State defined requirements must be applied to all State agents and/or contractors who carry a gun for their jobs.

Police, body guards, security, etc.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Exactly. Any gun laws must also apply to all politicians, judges and retired police officers. Politicians have been able to pass these laws because they exempt certain classes of government workers.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Exactly. Any gun laws must also apply to all politicians, judges and retired police officers. Politicians have been able to pass these laws because they exempt certain classes of government workers.

No more special classes.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    The SCOTUS just needs to say that any of these silly new Stae defined requirements must be applied to all State agents and/or contractors who carry a gun for their jobs. Police, body guards, security, etc.

Boxcab, I favor your solution better than mine.
    Thank you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mark392001 is probably on the right Crystal Ball track in drawing comparison to Illinois .

16 hr training $ , encumbered process to obtain handgun , large portions of the population w/o strong cultural ties to ( lawful) gun ownership or shooting , are all strong parallels to Maryland . Otherwise to be considered as raising the entry bar enough to weed out the moderately motivated .

So thusly , I'll predict 26K jumping to 100K as quickly as they can grind thru the process , with medium range numbers of 200K .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Mark392001 is probably on the right Crystal Ball track in drawing comparison to Illinois .

16 hr training $ , encumbered process to obtain handgun , large portions of the population w/o strong cultural ties to ( lawful) gun ownership or shooting , are all strong parallels to Maryland . Otherwise to be considered as raising the entry bar enough to weed out the moderately motivated .

So thusly , I'll predict 26K jumping to 100K as quickly as they can grind thru the process , with medium range numbers of 200K .

Easy transition for MD really, all they drop is the G&S, they can keep the rest of the process the same. In theory they could process applications faster with less time invested in the process but I think we all know the reverse will likely be true. All the streamlining down to about a 60-90 day process will vanish for awhile.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We already saw what happened with an influx of only 365 applications .

They’ll have to get rid of the interviews. When it’s deemed a civil right, peoples opinions won’t matter a lick. You are either adjudicated to lose your 2A right, or you haven’t. No gray area.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They’ll have to get rid of the interviews. When it’s deemed a civil right, peoples opinions won’t matter a lick. You are either adjudicated to lose your 2A right, or you haven’t. No gray area.

That’s not clear. The questions are not solely based on G&S and background investigations themselves are not seen as unconstitutional.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That’s not clear. The questions are not solely based on G&S and background investigations themselves are not seen as unconstitutional.

Background is going to be all that’s constitutional. Your neighbors opinion won’t matter a lick.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Background is going to be all that’s constitutional. Your neighbors opinion won’t matter a lick.

If by "background" you mean "criminal history type background," but the MSP might consider it "background of your whole life, including your character." And assert that sure, nobody needs a G&S now, but they still have to have verifiably good character as reported by multiple people, themselves in good standing. I'm a cynic on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom