• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I'm also hoping Thomas gives a huge smackdown to lower courts that have been applying the Heller dissents as if they were the majority opinion.
    who decides how narrow or wide the opinion is? is it just the judge who writes the opinion or do the agreeing judges have to all agree?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    who decides how narrow or wide the opinion is? is it just the judge who writes the opinion or do the agreeing judges have to all agree?
    The majority opinion is joined by enough Justices who agree with it.
    Scalia allegedly made concessions in Heller to get Kennedy to stay with the majority.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Thursday’s the end of the line right? We’ll know by then?
    SCOTUS typically wraps up by the end of June, as has been their tradition (not a hard rule) but could go into July as they did last year. We have fun looking at what they release on opinion days, but I still expect this opinion to be among their last of the term. @Texasgrillchef has a good shot at being right on 6/23 though. We'll see!

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Do you have any recommendations on grills?

Well whoever writes the Majority opinion is who makes the original determination. However, he/she must make sure that they have at least 4 other justices agree with them. Although they don’t have to agree in full.

Thats where we get Justices who issue their own opinion which agrees in part and dissents in part.

Thus, all you need is 4 other justices to agree to all the other parts. But they don’t all have to be the same justices.

Example… Justice Thomas writes a 2 part opinion. Gorsuch, Alito and Kavanaugh all concur on parts 1 and 2. Thus 4 votes for both parts.

Roberts concurs on part one but dissents on part two. This gives part 1 5 votes. Barrett concurs on part two but dissents on part 1. This still gives part 2 5 votes. Thus they have a 5-4 ruling on part one and a 5-4 ruling On part 2.

This has happened on multiple occasions with multiple opinions.

As I have said in my earlier post. I think there will be Three parts. part 1 will get a 6-3 ruling and the other two parts will get A 5-4 ruling.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    SCOTUS typically wraps up by the end of June, as has been their tradition (not a hard rule) but could go into July as they did last year. We have fun looking at what they release on opinion days, but I still expect this opinion to be among their last of the term. @Texasgrillchef has a good shot at being right on 6/23 though. We'll see!

We could still get one or two opinion days in the last week of June 27-30/. July 1. I suspect we will have two more opinion days that week as well, maybe June 27, and June 29.

I highly doubt we will get all 18 opinions that we have left released next week. (Tuesday, Thursday) I suspect we will get 8-10 opinions released with the balance released the following week.

Keep in my they have an orders release day of June 27th as well.

I still suspect NYSPRA will be released next Tuesday or aThursday though. Probably more then likely on Thursday. The four cases on hold will be released between June 23rd and June 27th. However probably on June 27th.

The four cases on hold are Young, Duncan, ANJRPC, & Bianchi

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Well whoever writes the Majority opinion is who makes the original determination. However, he/she must make sure that they have at least 4 other justices agree with them. Although they don’t have to agree in full.

Thats where we get Justices who issue their own opinion which agrees in part and dissents in part.

Thus, all you need is 4 other justices to agree to all the other parts. But they don’t all have to be the same justices.

Example… Justice Thomas writes a 2 part opinion. Gorsuch, Alito and Kavanaugh all concur on parts 1 and 2. Thus 4 votes for both parts.

Roberts concurs on part one but dissents on part two. This gives part 1 5 votes. Barrett concurs on part two but dissents on part 1. This still gives part 2 5 votes. Thus they have a 5-4 ruling on part one and a 5-4 ruling On part 2.

This has happened on multiple occasions with multiple opinions.

As I have said in my earlier post. I think there will be Three parts. part 1 will get a 6-3 ruling and the other two parts will get A 5-4 ruling.

Wow. I think you have been watching to many Johnny Carson "Carnac" segments! LOL

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    We could still get one or two opinion days in the last week of June 27-30/. July 1. I suspect we will have two more opinion days that week as well, maybe June 27, and June 29.

I highly doubt we will get all 18 opinions that we have left released next week. (Tuesday, Thursday) I suspect we will get 8-10 opinions released with the balance released the following week.

Keep in my they have an orders release day of June 27th as well.

I still suspect NYSPRA will be released next Tuesday or aThursday though. Probably more then likely on Thursday. The four cases on hold will be released between June 23rd and June 27th. However probably on June 27th.

The four cases on hold are Young, Duncan, ANJRPC, & Bianchi
    So; what exactly are we looking at with Bianchi assuming something in NYSRPA affects it? More court shenanigans with the new standard if any? I'm trying to get a handle on what we're looking at here.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That’s been the running theory; that SCOTUS’s holding in NYSRPA will affect how 2A cases are to be handled by lower courts. Save for Mance v Barr and I think another dumped 2A case in this last decade or so, intermediate scrutiny has been used to uphold weapons bans, may-issue carry, and other restrictions over and over by lower courts. Question is what we get. Is tiered scrutiny still appropriate, albeit at the highest tier of strict scrutiny or are 2A restrictions to be analyzed against a backdrop of the text, history, and tradition (THT for this post) of the 2nd Amendment?

Petitioners advocated for THT in their briefs. Barrett and Kavanaugh both seem to think THT is the way. See their cases as circuit judges, Heller v DC II and Kanter v. Barr.

Strict Scrutiny

This explains Text, History, Tradition

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Yes, yes, yes. We need the level of scrutiny established. This ruling needs to reach so much further then the NY case. The SCOTUS needs to put a line in the sand.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That’s been the running theory; that SCOTUS’s holding in NYSRPA will affect how 2A cases are to be handled by lower courts. Save for Mance v Barr and I think another dumped 2A case in this last decade or so, intermediate scrutiny has been used to uphold weapons bans, may-issue carry, and other restrictions over and over by lower courts. Question is what we get. Is tiered scrutiny still appropriate, albeit at the highest tier of strict scrutiny or are 2A restrictions to be analyzed against a backdrop of the text, history, and tradition (THT for this post) of the 2nd Amendment?

Petitioners advocated for THT in their briefs. Barrett and Kavanaugh both seem to think THT is the way. See their cases as circuit judges, Heller v DC II and Kanter v. Barr.

Strict Scrutiny

How does THT solve anything, considering both sides of the 2A argument can't even agree on the meaning and implementation of the Statute of Northampton from 1328?

A supermajority of the judges in the 2nd, 9th, and a few other appellate courts seem to have a core belief that "Gunz are bad, m'kay", and anything that allows them any wiggle room will just continue the status quo unless SCOTUS starts smacking down every single decision that goes against NSYRPA's intent, which is impractical.

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Yes, yes, yes. We need the level of scrutiny established. This ruling needs to reach so much further then the NY case. The SCOTUS needs to put a line in the sand.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I think the only scrutiny for 2A is built in, shall not be infringed. Any other scrutiny implies the government interest is a factor and 2A is not about keeping the government safe.

That would be a heck of a line in the and for them to draw!

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD

Strict Scrutiny

I want to be optimistic, but the last couple of months have put me in a constant negativity loop. I along with most of us here are likely uncomfortably aware the MGA will be coming full force next session, and I'm simply left questioning how anything would deter them with this case. But I suppose the answer is but a scant few weeks away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom