• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    If that kind of verbiage is in the ruling, I would think they'd specifically refer to federally enacted laws as being the only legal restrictions. One can hope, honestly.

You know that even if they manage to kill awbs all of these scorned states are going to immediately enact some kind of 'assault weapon license'. There's no way they'd just allow a win.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    As long as they weren't manufactured after '86. Which is a sort of ban, most would agree.
    With the post-86 MG being (literally) banned for citizens' use and the resulting shortage of pre-86 transferable MGs artificially inflating the prices, there exists an ex facto ban for the majority of the population. How many people can afford to pay $25k or more for an M-16 that should market at about $1k or less, plus "tax"?

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    With the post-86 MG being (literally) banned for citizens' use and the resulting shortage of pre-86 transferable MGs artificially inflating the prices, there exists an ex facto ban for the majority of the population. How many people can afford to pay $25k or more for an M-16 that should market at about $1k or less, plus "tax"?
    While I do agree with you.

The problem is, a machine gun IS super close to being a for military use only. The only known use for civilian use of a MG is for competition, and or target practice. One can’t hunt with them. It’s hard to say one could use them for self defense. Although one could.

Either way a lot harder to argue for our right to keep them then other firearms.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

The problem is, a machine gun IS super close to being a for military use only. The only known use for civilian use of a MG is for competition, and or target practice. One can’t hunt with them. It’s hard to say one could use them for self defense. Although one could.

Either way a lot harder to argue for our right to keep them then other firearms.
    They should either be legal for use or not. This whole magic date ******** is just that. Either they are protected or not. If they aren't then that sucks. If they are then purchase limitations should be outlawed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Fvck Charlie Rangel and his cheating worthless ass for jamming the Hughes Amendment through after hours on a voice vote where it was clearly voted down but magically accepted without a recorded vote.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

One of the best arguments is given in the amendment itself.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hunting, self-defense reasons pale in comparison.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Then it's a good thing the 2nd Amendment isn't just for hunting and self defense.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

I think a solid argument could be made that since the armed services issue such arms, civilian familiarity with them (and knowledge of how to use them effectively) is of value in wartime.

Hunting is a decoy - do NOT fall for it. 2A is about establishing a reservoir of force. When acting legitimately, the Government may tap that reservoir to defend the nation and maintain public order. We tend to focus on the consequences of the Government acting illegitimately too much, I think.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Exactly.

If the military has a use, they are protected. If the Police have them, they are protected. If the Secret Service has them, they are protected. FBI, CIA, etc.

If private security can justify them as necessary, they should be available. No one citizens life is worth more then another. All are equal.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

It's the Bill of Rights not the bill of needs. It doesn't matter what you want it for. If you want it you should be able to have it... Period

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Wasn’t the basis for the miller case in ?‘39? predicate on the phrasing of protected by the 2a based on suitability for military services? and the fact that the sawed off shotgun was deemed not a true military worthy firearm?

not that a politically influenced ruling wouldn’t or couldn’t occur, but it would highlight the hypocrisy of saying this, miller 1939ish, failed because it wasn’t protected because it wasn’t military enough… and this one, NFA / FA, is suitable for military, but too much so, so it’s not protected .

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Sorry but, Heller said no NFA stuff....Can't wait to see this place go up in flames when NYSRPA loses their case.

District of Columbia v Heller, 554 U.S. 570(2008)

"We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns. That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right."

"Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179.

"We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.” See 4 Blackstone 148–149 (1769); 3 B. Wilson, Works of the Honourable James Wilson 79 (1804); J. Dunlap, The New-York Justice 8 (1815); C. Humphreys, A Compendium of the Common Law in Force in Kentucky 482 (1822); 1 W. Russell, A Treatise on Crimes and Indictable Misdemeanors 271–272 (1831); H. Stephen, Summary of the Criminal Law 48 (1840); E. Lewis, An Abridgment of the Criminal Law of the United States 64 (1847); F. Wharton, A Treatise on the Criminal Law of the United States 726 (1852). See also State v. Langford, 10 N. C. 381, 383–384 (1824); O’Neill v. State, 16 Ala. 65, 67 (1849); English v. State, 35 Tex. 473, 476 (1871); State v. Lanier, 71 N. C. 288, 289 (1874)."

" It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right."

"We may as well consider.." All the way to page 53..."We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUNS. That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right.".

on page 55....."We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those "in common use at the time." We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of "dangerous and unusual weapons."

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm having trouble trying to comprehend the nature of a "weapon" that might not be "dangerous."

Of what use would such a thing be?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'm having trouble trying to comprehend the nature of a "weapon" that might not be "dangerous."

Of what use would such a thing be?
    Dangerous and unusual weapons = Any weapon which is more likely to cause unintended and indiscriminate mass destruction, injury, and/or death, to innocent persons who are within its range. Rather than one which can be directed and used specifically for defense against a violent attacker.

Such a weapon would most likely be used to terrorize and attack groups of innocent persons.

Very short barrel shotguns
    Bomb vests
    Etc…

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Did you ever read the Miller decision?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    There is precedent for limitation on the Bill of Rights.

Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969)

the United States Supreme Court interpreting the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[1]
    The Court held that the government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action".[2][3]: 70

Summed up typically as you can’t tell “fire” in a crowded place.

So you’d need to overturn precedent to get access to machine guns. I don’t see that happening.

IANAL. So maybe I’m wrong here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

the United States Supreme Court interpreting the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[1]
    The Court held that the government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless that speech is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action".[2][3]: 70

So you’d need to overturn precedent to get access to machine guns. I don’t see that happening.

Unless the 2A intended for the People to have arms suitable for military service, which many writings suggest it did....

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Brandenburg pretty much kills “fire in a crowded theater”. That was dicta from a case it effectively overturned, Schenck v. United States, which invented the just awful “clear and present danger test” for which speech isn’t protected.

Helpful Twitter thread on it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom