• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Why would you remove your gun in response to a "no gun" sign on a store rather than merely make sure it's adequately concealed? What's the worst that can happen- they ask you to leave?

Yep. The only time those signs carry legal weight is if you refuse to comply with being asked to leave.
    In Maryland, 100%

I believe Texas has the '30.06' signs, that put you in deep kimchee if caught.

Again, in Maryland, just leave.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Justice Kavanaugh concuring....
    By contrast, 43 States employ objective shall-issue licensing regimes. Those shall-issue regimes may require a license applicant to undergo fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements. Brief for Arizona et al. as Amici Curiae 7. Unlike New York’s may-issue regime, those shall-issue regimes do not grant open-ended discretion to licensing officials and do not require a showing of some special need apart from self-defense. As petitioners acknowledge, shall-issue licensing regimes are constitutionally permissible, subject of course to an as-applied challenge if a shall-issue licensing regime does not operate in that manner in practice. Tr. of Oral Arg. 50−5

Going forward, therefore, the 43 States that employ objective shall-issue licensing regimes for carrying handguns for self-defense may continue to do so. Likewise, the 6 States including New York potentially affected by today’s decision may continue to require licenses for carrying handguns for self-defense so long as those States employ objective licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shallissue States.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Md’s law is unconstitutional. Hogan *can* fix this by directing MSP to except “I want one” as G&S - but until/unless he does I would argue MD is constitutional carry as the only law on the books is void.
    so Constitutional Carry means no classes? I have my HQL but that was when it was online.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Summary: the court ruled only open carry is constitutional. It was a loss.

Oh wait, not.

Can all the open carry and charles nichols types shut tf up now?

Excuse me while I go open carry my braced pistol at the walgreens...
    As I predicted the court swatted that issue aside since NY has already chosen its preferred method of carry

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Fu<k frosh
    Screenshot_20220623-134521_Twitter.jpg

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I'm not a lawyer but doesn't this ruling by the Supreme Court have to be applied to the states? I mean it's not automatic until someone challenges the current laws in MD and cites this Supreme Court ruling. We all know the MD legislature and Frosh are going to do everything in their power to nullify the ruling.

As a side note, would this ruling affect VA residents who want to apply for a nonresident permit? I can already carry in VA, but now I don't have to avoid MD as much when traveling.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Why would you remove your gun in response to a "no gun" sign on a store rather than merely make sure it's adequately concealed? What's the worst that can happen- they ask you to leave?
    Or better yet, patronize a store that respects the Constitution....

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    You have it around backwards. Unless and until Hogan directs that "I want one" is G&S, Maryland's statute is unconstitutional. There is no other law on the books to default to. As such, I expect that anyone charged with carrying without a license between now and when/if Hogan does that (or Annapolis amends the statute) to have their charges dismissed. Again, it won't stop Hogan's brown shirts from charging a person.
    Would that have to come from Hogan or could Frosh do it?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

NYC officials reiterate "nothing changes" immediately with regards to gun laws​

New York City officials want to make it clear that “nothing has changed” in the state despite the US Supreme Court striking down the law that places restrictions on carrying a concealed handgun outside the home on Thursday.

“The important thing to know today is that nothing changes,” New York Police Department Commissioner Keechant Sewell said.

“If you have a premise permit, it does not automatically convert to a carry permit,” she said, adding, “if you carry a gun illegally in NYC, you will be arrested.”
    The case was returned to the lower court and is still in effect until it goes through the lower court process. In the meantime, Sewell said the NYPD is evaluating the permit process.

“We are taking a look at our policies our procedures and our licensing scheme as it stands now,” she said.

Asked how the ruling may impact policing procedures, she said, “obviously we would look at the way we would do civilian encounters when people are allowed to carry if that came to pass but at this time nothing has changed and I want to make that clear.”

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I'm not a lawyer but doesn't this ruling by the Supreme Court have to be applied to the states? I mean it's not automatic until someone challenges the current laws in MD and cites this Supreme Court ruling. We all know the MD legislature and Frosh are going to do everything in their power to nullify the ruling.

As a side note, would this ruling affect VA residents who want to apply for a nonresident permit? I can already carry in VA, but now I don't have to avoid MD as much when traveling.
    My reading was that it applied to all "may-issue" states including Maryland. I may wait a couple of days before submitting my application.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I'm going to have to buy a pistol small enough to conceal - at the moment, everything I have is a full-sized pistol because never did I expect to ever be able to carry here in Maryland. I suppose I "could" wear a 1911, my P226 or maybe my Walther P99, but all of those are pretty big.
    eff it. go big or go home.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Wow guys and gals, this is indeed great news for all of us 2A loving folks. I am not a lawyer so I am eager to learn from those of you who are lawyers as to whether there are any "work arounds" that MD could do to prevent us from getting a CCW in the next weeks/months.

I will celebrate tomorrow (Friday) with a cold one (or two!).

Cal68

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

In doing so… they open themselves up to a sh!t ton of suits for violation of COTUS rights. And the SCOTUS will spank them hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom