• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Looks like they are preparing for the influx of applications.
    0f6e5b09a2c719d2bf5cbc0b10339cb4.jpg

I am getting ready to write a check to MSI/counselor Pennak for something north of what I've paid in combined membership dues to MSI for a whole bunch of years.

Severability isn't presumed, and it has limited application. If a specific piece of legislation containing a severability clause is passed and one section of in that piece of legislation is struck, the other provisions contained in that specific piece of legislation survive. If that bill did not contain a severability clause, all of the provisions contained in that specific bill fall, but that has no effect on any other legislation passed by the MGA.

I have been trying to lay my hands on the specific legislation containing either G&S or the W&C permitting scheme that the MGA passed in order to see whether there are any severability clause(s). If the legislation containing the G&S provision does not have a severability clause, everything else in that legislation should be gone as well.

On a different note, I recall Illinois went through a situation several years ago. They were like MD, seldom granting carry permits under their may issue scheme. Courts tossed out may issue and the Illinois legislature had to come up with a new shall issue scheme that was consistent with the court's order. IIRC, Illinois has a large number of sensitive places. That may change following the recent opinion.
    There should be and are limits to the severability provision. If the unconstitutional provision frustrates or affects the purpose of the bill, (don't recall the current threshhold) the entire bill is struck down.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    While the federal government does have the ability to extend some jurisdictional boundaries for specific reasons I won't go into, they are typically situationally specific, emergency based, and limited in duration. Making non-federal land off limits would be up to the state.
    Gotcha

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I took my wife, then girlfriend, shooting at Whiteford Quarries when we dated in High School. For our first Christmas after we got married she got me a Ruger Blackhawk convertable 45 Colt/ 45 ACP
    I'd take a Blackhawk over a wedding band from my new bride any day.

I presume she did not make a "straw" purchase. Huh rseymourjr.

Oh and this makes me ponder some BS legislation the MDGA was trying to pull a few years back. Anyone know the status of their effort to make it that if one were to "Loan" a rifle, shotgun, etc to a buddy to go hunting with, they wanted to require an FFL transfer in order to be legal about it? Kind of the same BS if one were to " loan" their Shotgun, Glock, Super Blackhawk to their spouse, the spouse would need to be FFL legal, including HQL, Prints, pay Massa Frosh for the privilege. Anyone know if this same jump through the hoops, obey us or else you can't exchange guns between spouses, etc laws ever passed of gained traction?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'd take a Blackhawk over a wedding band from my new bride any day.

I presume she did not make a "straw" purchase. Huh rseymourjr.

Oh and this makes me ponder some BS legislation the MDGA was trying to pull a few years back. Anyone know the status of their effort to make it that if one were to "Loan" a rifle, shotgun, etc to a buddy to go hunting with, they wanted to require an FFL transfer in order to be legal about it? Kind of the same BS if one were to " loan" their Shotgun, Glock, Super Blackhawk to their spouse, the spouse would need to be FFL legal, including HQL, Prints, pay Massa Frosh for the privilege. Anyone know if this same jump through the hoops, obey us or else you can't exchange guns between spouses, etc laws ever passed of gained traction?
    Technically it's her gun (she reminds me of that once in a while) and I've been borrowing it for 38 years.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Not sure if this was brought up, but here's a thought. If the metro system is ruled out as a sensitive place, being that our metro system runs throughout MD, DC, and VA, wouldn't that bring about a case for reciprocity at least in the DMV? Could this present a successful legal challenge for someone who found themselves under arrest?

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    On a different note, I recall Illinois went through a situation several years ago. They were like MD, seldom granting carry permits under their may issue scheme. Courts tossed out may issue and the Illinois legislature had to come up with a new shall issue scheme that was consistent with the court's order. IIRC, Illinois has a large number of sensitive places. That may change following the recent opinion.
    IL never had a May issue permit system. We went from nothing to Shall Issue. There was talk of may issue if certain things were not agreed to by the gun lobby, but we still got shall issue, but a ton of no carry areas.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    IL never had a May issue permit system. We went from nothing to Shall Issue. There was talk of may issue if certain things were not agreed to by the gun lobby, but we still got shall issue, but a ton of no carry areas.
    Well…a lawsuit on sensitive areas will be forthcoming. It’s in the box of shenanigans Thomas set on the top shelf so the little leftists couldn’t get to it. Sensitive areas are to be VERY narrowly tailored AND must serve a very compelling government interest.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Well…a lawsuit on sensitive areas will be forthcoming. It’s in the box of shenanigans Thomas set on the top shelf so the little leftists couldn’t get to it. Sensitive areas are to be VERY narrowly tailored AND must serve a very compelling government interest.
    To MGA, not allowing subjects to posses weapons is a compelling government interest.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Not sure if this was brought up, but here's a thought. If the metro system is ruled out as a sensitive place, being that our metro system runs throughout MD, DC, and VA, wouldn't that bring about a case for reciprocity at least in the DMV? Could this present a successful legal challenge for someone who found themselves under arrest?

Carry on the metro is not illegal in Va.
    It was also not illegal until DC became shall issue.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Carry on the metro is not illegal in Va.
    It was also not illegal until DC became shall issue.

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    Just wondering how it would work if you concealed in MD and ride into DC or VA without their license. Or, for that matter, the Beltway. I think I know what would happen, but for the sake of conversation... I can see that getting messy. It would be nice not to have to worry about that kind of thing. I guess with MD that's asking a lot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just wondering how it would work if you concealed in MD and ride into DC or VA without their license. Or, for that matter, the Beltway. I think I know what would happen, but for the sake of conversation... I can see that getting messy. It would be nice not to have to worry about that kind of thing. I guess with MD that's asking a lot.
    They are going to have to figure it out. The 2A doesn’t end at the State line. Getting every State’s permits is excessive and repugnant to the 2A. Look what Clandestine spent for him and his wife.

I intend to exercise my right everywhere.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Reciprocity is coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom