Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    IWGe.gif

6 Spots left in the class
    Might try and take this one too!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just wondering how it would work if you concealed in MD and ride into DC or VA without their license. Or, for that matter, the Beltway. I think I know what would happen, but for the sake of conversation... I can see that getting messy. It would be nice not to have to worry about that kind of thing. I guess with MD that's asking a lot.
    Same as if you drove in there without a license. A crime.

As it stands today, it is on you to know the laws of the location you are in. It just makes it that much crappier that simply possessing something can be legal in one spot and 10 feet over illegal. I mean that about all the things, not just guns. Weed, fireworks, home brewed hooch, etc.

Yes, reciprocity is sorely needed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out of curiosity wouldn't this ruling also force MD to modify its current self defense laws to accommodate being able to defend yourself outside the home? MD has a history of making criminals out of victims who fight back.
    No. Most states have a duty to retreat law (in public). Only a handful of states have stand your ground laws. Not having a stand your ground law isn't incompatible with self defense. It just means if you are able to SAFELY retreat, you have a duty to (effectively no being a hero, or if you can diffuse the situation you are obligated to).

As it stands today, if someone attacks you, you may defend yourself including lethal force if that is necessary based on their level of force. This is why W&C classes are important...

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    No.

Per scotusblog there will be a final clean up orders issued. Probably july 1 (friday) if they issue all the opinions wed.

The answer is not no. They do typically wait for conferences to GVR cases. The next scheduled conference is not until the end of Sept.

I believe what you are talking about is an unscheduled conference that SCOTUSblog calls a "clean-up conference" that will likely occur once all the opinions are issued.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Wise words no matter what state you are in. Even here in Florida with Stand Your Ground…..the thing they tell you the most in the “3 hour class/chat session” needed for a FL permit is too “Only pull your pistol when there is no other option available, and when you pull it, use it
    It’s just stupid to teach people something that.

Imagine it like this:
    Court case after action…
    Prosecutor: “Once you drew your weapon, the attacker dropped his weapon and put his hands in the air. Correct?
    CCW Holder: “Yes.”
    Prosecutor: “Then, why did you shoot him?”
    CCW Holder: “My CCW Instructor told me that if I pulled my gun, I had to use it.”

There were many times when my pistol was drawn from the holster while working in Baltimore. And thankfully, not one of those times actually required more than that.
    One is not obligated to shoot anyone, merely because they had to draw their weapon. Presenting the drawn weapon and exhibiting a willingness to use it, in many cases will cause the attacker to stop their approach. It is reported that way in armed confrontations all over free America every year.

The best advice…

Only draw your weapon when there is no other option.
    Only fire your weapon if firing it is still necessary.

Train and be able to know the difference between justifiable homicide in defense of oneself… and murder. Lives depend upon it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure if this was brought up, but here's a thought. If the metro system is ruled out as a sensitive place, being that our metro system runs throughout MD, DC, and VA, wouldn't that bring about a case for reciprocity at least in the DMV? Could this present a successful legal challenge for someone who found themselves under arrest?

Public Transportation is explicitly prohibited in DC . It's legal in Va though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just wondering how it would work if you concealed in MD and ride into DC or VA without their license. Or, for that matter, the Beltway. I think I know what would happen, but for the sake of conversation... I can see that getting messy. It would be nice not to have to worry about that kind of thing. I guess with MD that's asking a lot.

Well , DC *IS* Shall Issue ,and Va offers Non Res , plus has blanket recognition , plus is OC . Just don't take the Metro or Bus thru DC .

ps- If you get a combined 16 hr class , the DC permit isn't massively prohibitive $ .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Be warned that one can have no more ammunition on them than is necessary to load the gun twice in DC with a total maximum 20 rounds on your person. 10+ rd magazines are banned. No gun can be carried into DC that isn’t registered with them and isn’t on the rosters of CA, MD, or MA.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Be warned that one can have no more ammunition on them than is necessary to load the gun twice in DC with a total maximum 20 rounds on your person. 10+ rd magazines are banned. No gun can be carried into DC that isn’t registered with them and isn’t on the rosters of CA, MD, or MA.
    DC sucks

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    Come across something that may explain so of the responses to this whole thing. I have come across several references from people that are thinking that the text, history, tradition is the same as using strict scrutiny, so they are thinking that they still have a say if there law is narrowly taylored to mean a specific goal then everything will be find. But the ruling reads like if it wasn't regulated in 1791 you can regulate it now.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    i’m guessing the classroom training will remain to be required? As well as the <=10 rnds loaded limit?

I can’t wait to see the reciprocity maps grow!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    i’m guessing the classroom training will remain to be required? As well as the <=10 rnds loaded limit?

I can’t wait to see the reciprocity maps grow!
    Nothing changes immediately except elimination of G&S. That was the only specific issue decided in Bruen. The other issues need to be hashed out in lower courts using the standards outlined in Bruen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom