• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm wearing a helmet even in PA & DE, That's my choice. I just hit my 6 month mark & almost 3K miles of riding (not counting the 2 years dirt biking in HS and 1 year of borrowing room mates bike in college).

Note how Alcohol , Speeding & Crotch rockets skew the numbers tremendously. The same things that make a defensive driver of a car go into riding a Motorcycle to reduce odds of a collision.

Here are some statistics. I'm still looking for the 6 month stat.
    I recall during the MSF they mentioned a higher rate of accidents in "new riders" being first 6 months.
    some statistics

Here is a report in LA

Here is another one mentioning Riders < 2 years

In an early study, McKnight and Robinson (1990) examined driving records of 8,414 motorcyclists in Pennsylvania to assess the relative contribution of age and experience to crashes. After adjusting for annual mileage, sex, and motorcycle ownership, the effect of age somewhat exceeded the effect of experience. Still, inexperienced riders (those with less than two years’ experience) had crash rates that were two to four times higher than those of more experienced riders. Inexperienced riders under age 22 had the highest crash rate of any group. Two case-control studies, one from New Zealand (Mullin, Jackson, Langley, & Norton, 2000). and another from Singapore (Wong, Lee, Phoon, Yiu, Fung, & McLean, 1990), compared crash-involved riders with controls identified through random roadside surveys or lists of registered motorcyclists. Experienced riders had a 35–64 % lower crash risk compared to riders with only one or two years of riding experience. In the New Zealand study (but not the Singapore study), the effect of inexperience disappeared after adjusting for the age of the rider. In a prospective survey of 1,328 motorcyclists in the United Kingdom (Rutter & Quine, 1996), youthfulness was a stronger predictor than experience for crash involvement, although the sample included only a small number of novice riders (i.e., those with up to two years’ experience).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Ambiguous rule cause what part of the seat? the highest point or the lowest?

Just add a seat cushion ?

89P13

May 10, 2023
    The Island
    Just checked the prices. $95.00 for a Friday ticket plus $22.71 fee = $235.42 for 2 of us. NFW. We have seen them 4 or 5 times, never paid this nonsense.
    Ah yes. The “down De ocean” tax.

Stay home. Shut off the lights. Search Shinedown live on YouTube and turn up the volume. Lol. I gone to a lot of shows and concerts and it’s always a premium crossing that bridge. I stopped going. I even cancelled my room for the gun show coming up. Figured I give it another shot (no pun intended :) ) but changed my mind the next day after remembering seeing way too many people get hit by cars and all the nonsense. A lot of bike theft during bike week too. Had a blast when I did go but again. It’s insane.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    is this a thing? i ride with 14inch apes on my chopper
    Pffft...
    apes.png
    IMG_20130912_145957_041.jpg

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    were you pulled over for the bars? or something else? i need to research the law

edit:

A person may not operate any motorcycle with handlebars more than 20 inches in height above the part of the seat occupied by the operator. Maryland Vehicle Law for the operation of motorcycles regarding handlebar height was effective October 1.2017.

Last edited:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    He pulled me over for the bars and the skid lid... I was on the way to Mackey's to meet friends. When I was free to leave, the rod on the foot clutch broke @ two blocks north.
    Rigged the clutch with bailing wire that I bummed from a dude on a construction site... to get me back to the condo to get another bike. Got the other bike and headed back to meet up. Got pulled over again by HarCo's finest... for the skid lid. I was going to get some T-shirts made up. First cop gave me a warning... second cop looked at my previous warning and let me go.

IMG_20130912_145957_041.jpg
    IMG_20130913_193322_472.jpg
    20190915_213912.jpg
    IMG_20150628_194537_686.jpg
    20210820_092213.jpg

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    He pulled me over for the bars and the skid lid... I was on the way to Mackey's to meet friends. When I was free to leave, the rod on the foot clutch broke @ two blocks north.
    Rigged the clutch with bailing wire that I bummed from a dude on a construction site... to get me back to the condo to get another bike. Got the other bike and headed back to meet up. Got pulled over again by HarCo's finest... for the skid lid. I was going to get some T-shirts made up. First cop gave me a warning... second cop looked at my previous warning and let me go.

View attachment 430187 View attachment 430188 View attachment 430189 View attachment 430192 View attachment 430196
    What was wrong with your helmet?

Feb 28, 2013
    were you pulled over for the bars? or something else? i need to research the law

edit:

A person may not operate any motorcycle with handlebars more than 20 inches in height above the part of the seat occupied by the operator. Maryland Vehicle Law for the operation of motorcycles regarding handlebar height was effective October 1.2017.
    Mine are low rise and I’ll bet mine probably ain’t even legal

Classic example of typical MD reachin into people’s pockets

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

View attachment 430187 View attachment 430188 View attachment 430189 View attachment 430192 View attachment 430196
    Didn't say anything about reflectors or turn signals though?
    I would just go historic tags if they still issue. That looks like a pan head to me.
    Or maybe theyre may issue these days, IDK I quit riding a long time ago.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Probably missing the DOT sticker on the back. I added one to my half-lid.

images

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

edit:

Mine are low rise and I’ll bet mine probably ain’t even legal

Classic example of typical MD reachin into people’s pockets
    I have a 90 with a HD night rider seat and HD wide glide bars and I’m a couple inches out of legal but the bike fits me perfectly. I’d never had thought my bar are too high.
    IMG_6799.jpeg

Feb 28, 2013
    I have a 90 with a HD night rider seat and HD wide glide bars and I’m a couple inches out of legal but the bike fits me perfectly. I’d never had thought my bar are too high. View attachment 430286
    Dayum...

Fine looking scooter

I wanted one like that, but I wasn’t sure if I could get used to them forward controls so I went with a Heritage

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Im gonna miss BW 2023. Cant ride anymore. Had a lot of good times on two wheels. Attended OC/Delmarva Bike week many times. All were good. Loved to ride and mix it up with other people that know the peace 2 wheels and wind can bring.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    After owning a place in OC and being there for several bike weeks I can say it's one of the better weeks down there.
    Riding ten miles of Coastal Hwy surrounded by bikes of all kinds, and everyone courteous to each other is a rare event there. Of course if you don't ride, you just don't get it.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    What was wrong with your helmet?
    Not DOT approved.
    Didn't say anything about reflectors or turn signals though?
    I would just go historic tags if they still issue. That looks like a pan head to me.
    Or maybe theyre may issue these days, IDK I quit riding a long time ago.
    Correct... Panhead. First year... last year for springer front end. It has Permanent Historic(over 60 years) tag... If it didn't have it in 1948... it don't need today(reflectors, mirrors, turn signals, seat strap).

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have a 90 with a HD night rider seat and HD wide glide bars and I’m a couple inches out of legal but the bike fits me perfectly. I’d never had thought my bar are too high. View attachment 430286
    No chance those bars are not legal... shoulder height and below... go... over the shoulder... no bueno.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Not DOT approved.

Correct... Panhead. First year... last year for springer front end. It has Permanent Historic(over 60 years) tag... If it didn't have it in 1948... it don't need today(reflectors, mirrors, turn signals, seat strap).
    I dont know why handlebars would be a big deal then.
    Thats what I'm getting at.
    I wouldn't worry about any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom