• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    The AR part is not correct. The only AR that has a risk of slamfire is older Colt 601's and Colt SP1's with fat head firing pins. Floating firing pin is not dangerous in the AR design.
    Hmm.... this is new information to me. I learned that years ago when using a Colt and made an assumption that it applied to all since it was a standard design.

I've learned something today.

Now I want to go to the range and test it. You know....for science.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hmm.... this is new information to me. I learned that years ago when using a Colt and made an assumption that it applied to all since it was a standard design.

I've learned something today.

Now I want to go to the range and test it. You know....for science.
    The AR firing pin will touch the primer when chambering each round but not with enough energy to set the primer off.

The only AR firing pins that run the slight risk of a slam fire are the fat head firing pins. The fat head firing pins are collectible and I have seen people pay as much as $300 for one. The clone/retro guys and gals want them for their builds.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Not if you carry a 12 gauge double barrel pistol.
    Alan Bourdillion Traherne concurs.

1663272385550.png

Jagiov

Sep 2, 2020
    Bel Air
    I'm likely looking at early November to obtain my permit, so for now I'm researching holsters, ammo, etc that is appropriate, but I'm also giving a lot of thought to when and where to carry, and whether to carry with one in the chamber. As one poster suggested - if I hear shots fired in a Walmart I very likely will have ample time to draw and chamber a round, but alternatively, if an attacker suddenly emerges from the shadows in close proximity I will not have ample time. I'm in my 60s and to this point I've never been in a situation where it would have been necessary to be armed, but I do recognize times are changing, and the pace of change is increasing. My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates... I consider myself to be alert and aware, and at 6' while I don't possess a menacing frame I think most potential attackers would likely choose another target.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments as I develop my "carry philosophy". I'd guess that there's a good chance over time I will develop enough comfort to carry chambered at all times.

Most likely carry weapons will be G19.5 or a Ruger LCP Max for when smaller might be better.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm likely looking at early November to obtain my permit, so for now I'm researching holsters, ammo, etc that is appropriate, but I'm also giving a lot of thought to when and where to carry, and whether to carry with one in the chamber. As one poster suggested - if I hear shots fired in a Walmart I very likely will have ample time to draw and chamber a round, but alternatively, if an attacker suddenly emerges from the shadows in close proximity I will not have ample time. I'm in my 60s and to this point I've never been in a situation where it would have been necessary to be armed, but I do recognize times are changing, and the pace of change is increasing. My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates... I consider myself to be alert and aware, and at 6' while I don't possess a menacing frame I think most potential attackers would likely choose another target.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments as I develop my "carry philosophy". I'd guess that there's a good chance over time I will develop enough comfort to carry chambered at all times.

Most likely carry weapons will be G19.5 or a Ruger LCP Max for when smaller might be better.
    You should really pick one and go with it. In the moment, do you want to take the half-beat to remember which way you're carrying?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I really think that if it is on you, it should be chambered. If you have the extra time to chamber a round, that time could also be used to escape or evade the situation. We trained shooting from retention if stuff got really real really fast...that's not going to work with an empty chamber.

Mixing up carrying unchambered when you don't plan on using it vs. chambered when you do...just seems to add unnecessary complexity. (in addition to tempting Murphy's law, like the seatbelt analogy). If you draw, push out, and pull the trigger with an empty chamber, thinking it was full, now you are holding a (not usable) gun way out there for someone to take away from you.

If you don't trust your equipment, maybe get a snap cap to carry in the chamber for practice. Put a little paint or white out on the primer so you can see if a firing pin ever touches it. Then run around carrying the gun that way, doing jumping jacks and rolling down steps for a day or a week, and check to see if it ever "went off"

Or, carry Barney Fife style. That way, if someone does take your not-ready gun away from you, at least they won't have ammo. :shrug:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    ... still 6 loaded chambers. Also, some single-actions don't have a mechanical means of stopping the hammer from being bumped forward from the rear and setting off the primer. The old cap & ball revolvers often have a half-way resting position between chambers for that reason.
    Simple fix for carrying a Colt or copy of the single action revolver.
    Open the loading gate load one round, skip the next chamber, then load the next four. When finished close the loading gate, pull the hammer to full cock. Then lower the hammer carefully. Your hammer is now setting on a empty chamber. You now have a 5 shot, just like a modern j frame revolver

Last edited:

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates...

No.

Either chamber one all the time or never.

If you switch back and forth you WILL forget if you have one chambered when you are suddenly in a danger situation. And you don't have time to inspect the gun to figure out if a round is chambered.

Also, if you usually carry with the chamber empty you are setting yourself up to make a bad mistake on the off times when you do carry with one in the chamber.

If you forget the chamber is empty, you pull the trigger on the bad guy and nothing happens and you die.

if you forget a round is chambered then you may do something unsafe that causes you to shoot yourself.

Whichever you choose, do it that same way every single time so there is never any guess work.

If you don't chamber a round, practice racking the slide as part of your draw. If you do chamber a round, knowing that it's always condition 1.

Simple. No mistakes. No guesswork.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    If you don't trust your equipment, maybe get a snap cap to carry in the chamber for practice. Put a little paint or white out on the primer so you can see if a firing pin ever touches it. Then run around carrying the gun that way, doing jumping jacks and rolling down steps for a day or a week, and check to see if it ever "went off"
    A good idea is a good idea.

Even if you do trust your gun, perform this test so you can REALLY trust it.

He'll put the snap cap in there and drop it on the floor.

It won't fire. But now you will KNOW it won't fire.

Middleman

Sep 25, 2020

Here’s my problem with your plan. If the shtf in the depot are you (in a high stress situation going to remember to rack. I would suggest that whatever you do you keep it consistent and practice that way.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    It's not just the time under ideal conditions; it's have two functional free hands .

One hand could be carrying a child ; rendering aid; or be injured ; either in that confrontation ; or preexisting " normal injury or illness ;or one or more hands could be covered with mud; blood; or beer ; and not get a firm purchase on the gun .

Beat me to it. Had one fight bouncing where i was trying to control a guys knife hand. Luckily my bud had my back and things did not escalate. In that situation while alone though, Israeli carry would get you killed.

The first real DA/SA, the Walther p38 was actually developed because of this situation during close combat.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    One problem with not having one in the chamber is the simple act of racking the slide. It's an additional complex move. Sure, you could practice at home the Draw and Rack, but in a stressful situation things might not work out as well. I see missing the grip. Accidentally hitting the mag release. Not letting the slide slam forward to put the gun in battery. Pinching fingers. Lots of things. More likely to enter a gun fight with a malfunction.

I don't even like safeties on guns. I changed my 92 over to a decocker. I don't want to have to fumble with anything. Less of an issue if you only carry one gun; but if you change it up for whatever reason there is also a chance of getting things backwards. A 1911 needs to have the safety swept down. A S&W needs to have the safety swept up. Why complicate things?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates...

That's a Big Negatory !

You need to be consistent in your manual of arms . You emphatically do Not need another decision chain when under stress , when your attention is rightly focused on a developing situiation , and evaluating the need to draw or shoot .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom