• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm interested.. what sets a kydex holster above other holsters? Any model or type of kydex, or a particular?
    It's molded plastic that keeps its shape exactly for the gun it was made for. As for which one...that is 100% a personal decision with size, fit, other materials like the back side being kydex or perhaps cowhide (hybrid holster), how it fits with YOUR body (same gun, same material yet one can print like a gal in spandex and the other is completely hidden).

Buy one...see if it works for you (including comfort hours later). If not, return it and try something else.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Here is a real world scenario.
    Last mont, my son’s future brother-in-law was leaving a job site (remodeling an apartment in Columbia). He was going down the stairs and 2 youths stopped in front of him and 2 behind him. They didn’t have good intentions. He deployed his G17. Lucky for him they ran. What would have happened had he had to rack the slide?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm likely looking at early November to obtain my permit, so for now I'm researching holsters, ammo, etc that is appropriate, but I'm also giving a lot of thought to when and where to carry, and whether to carry with one in the chamber. As one poster suggested - if I hear shots fired in a Walmart I very likely will have ample time to draw and chamber a round, but alternatively, if an attacker suddenly emerges from the shadows in close proximity I will not have ample time. I'm in my 60s and to this point I've never been in a situation where it would have been necessary to be armed, but I do recognize times are changing, and the pace of change is increasing. My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates... I consider myself to be alert and aware, and at 6' while I don't possess a menacing frame I think most potential attackers would likely choose another target.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments as I develop my "carry philosophy". I'd guess that there's a good chance over time I will develop enough comfort to carry chambered at all times.

Most likely carry weapons will be G19.5 or a Ruger LCP Max for when smaller might be better.

Too much movement and thought process. It's really not that a big of deal, one in the pipe all the time.

I don't know what other people do for carry but when I put on or take off... the entire assembly of gun and holster stays as one. I'm not constantly taking rounds out, releasing and reinserting the mag, removing the firearm from holster for storage in the house, etc.

No offense but a lot of +middle aged people have some inherent fear of chambered rounds in carry guns/modern handguns for some reason. It's not a 80 year old double barrel when dropped the hammers fall....

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Do you know how many times I've been to the range, or been to a match, and someone's shit did not go bang?

It doesn't matter how you carry, you need to practice racking that slide just in case.

I do not Israeli carry, but If i did i bet I'm still faster than slow ass draws I've seen in some classes and matches.

Putting one in the chamber does not make you fast. consistent practicing with whatever method you choose is what makes you fast.

Jagiov

Sep 2, 2020
    Bel Air
    I appreciate all of your responses - thank you. I get what you're saying and do agree, whatever is done, doing it consistently is very important. Could be that I am over-estimating my ability to be cool enough under extreme pressure to know (and properly react) when one is chambered and when one is not. I'm grateful for you sharing your knowledge and experience.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Well, 2 won't fit in there...so it's gotta be 1.

Well……

1fb82cd38ca32eb38a7388c4296bc659.jpg

Just trying to be that guy….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Condition 1

Cocked and Locked

“It’s a 1911 Thing”

Well, BHP and other SAO pistols too

SA/DA or Striker are technically carried Condition 2

Only Pistol that needs to be carried in Condition 3 in a holster is a Colt 1873 SAA or the various copies and clones.

Ruger NM Blackhawk would be the only SAO exception because of the Ruger Transfer Bar system.

I knew there was a reason why I liked you.

Not sure about strikers being condition 2. I don't think they are even able to be condition 2 carried.

FWIK: cond 1: chambered, cocked and locked.
    cond 2: cambered, hammer down, safety off (if there is one)
    cond 3: chamber empty, hammer down.

in practice: 1911s are usually carried cond 1. Sigs, DA/SA revolvers and Berettas condition 2, SAA condition 3

So I guess a Glock would be condition 1.5? I dunno

Last edited:

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    I'm likely looking at early November to obtain my permit, so for now I'm researching holsters, ammo, etc that is appropriate, but I'm also giving a lot of thought to when and where to carry, and whether to carry with one in the chamber. As one poster suggested - if I hear shots fired in a Walmart I very likely will have ample time to draw and chamber a round, but alternatively, if an attacker suddenly emerges from the shadows in close proximity I will not have ample time. I'm in my 60s and to this point I've never been in a situation where it would have been necessary to be armed, but I do recognize times are changing, and the pace of change is increasing. My thinking at this point is to be unchambered at my local grocery store, at HomeDepot, at Wawa, but put one in the chamber when visiting areas where crime has a higher probability - urban areas, train stations, neighborhoods known to have higher crime rates... I consider myself to be alert and aware, and at 6' while I don't possess a menacing frame I think most potential attackers would likely choose another target.

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments as I develop my "carry philosophy". I'd guess that there's a good chance over time I will develop enough comfort to carry chambered at all times.

Most likely carry weapons will be G19.5 or a Ruger LCP Max for when smaller might be better.
    I agree with the others who have said to always carry chambered regardless of location. When my wife and I started dating she used to ask me why I always carry a gun. Most often the ask would be at a wedding or running out to get ice cream, or something equally safe feeling. With what's going on in the world today she doesn't ask anymore. If you are going to carry, carry with one in the chamber. If you arent comfortable with that, pick a great school and go shoot a few hundred rounds in a few days at a place where you can both get comfortable with your chosen gear, and get any guidance you need from a reputable professional. Gunsite, Sig Academy, etc. I would also suggest perhaps changing your mental game. Stop thinking your local grocery store is low risk and someplace else is high risk, same risks and threats in both. We have seen shootings in grocery stores in the last couple months, and churches, schools, etc. And if you hear shots fired in the WalMart what's your mission; are you getting your family out safely and reassessing or are you hunting? Plan for the event now, under stress is a horrible time to make a decision.

With regard a big pistol and a small, nothing wrong with the idea, but why a big Glock and a small Ruger? If you already have the 19, how about the 19 and a 26, both Glocks, same grip angle and size, same trigger, and you can carry a 17 magazine as a reload for both.

Sorry for the preaching, but in things like this I am a believer.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

If you have enough time to draw a gun and rack the slide because you hear shots fired in a walmart, you have time to run to the exit and direct others to run to the exit. If someone is not comfortable carrying one in the chamber, they likely lack the training to make moving towards gunfire in a public space a good idea.

Again, needing to rack the slide means:
    a) It will cost you time to get your gun up to be able to use it to fight with. Time is life in defense, why handicap yourself?
    b) You will need two hands to efficiently do this. You can simply rack it off of your belt or a nearby object(especially with a red dot on the slide), but that's adding extra actions before being able to use your gun for defense.
    c) You may induce a malfunction when you need your gun. When chambering a round in a controlled environment, you can take your time and make sure the gun is properly ready. Short-stroking the slide or bumping a round out the top of a magazine can happen under stress, so now your gun still isn't up AND you need to clear a malfunction.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do you know how many times I've been to the range, or been to a match, and someone's shit did not go bang?

It doesn't matter how you carry, you need to practice racking that slide just in case.

I do not Israeli carry, but If i did i bet I'm still faster than slow ass draws I've seen in some classes and matches.

Putting one in the chamber does not make you fast. consistent practicing with whatever method you choose is what makes you fast.
    You definitely need to practice dealing with failures but having one already in the chamber is always going to be faster than not having one and having to draw and chamber for any given person. You can try to spin it anyway you want but Israeli carry is an unnecessary handicap. The fastest person deploying his/her pistol using the Israeli carry method will still be faster if they already have a round chambered. (Until their training scar kicks in and they still rack the slide out of habit ejecting an already chambered round for no reason.)

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You definitely need to practice dealing with failures but having one already in the chamber is always going to be faster than not having one and having to draw and chamber for any given person. You can try to spin it anyway you want but Israeli carry is an unnecessary handicap. The fastest person deploying his/her pistol using the Israeli carry method will still be faster if they already have a round chambered. (Until their training scar kicks in and they still rack the slide out of habit ejecting an already chambered round for no reason.)
    lol, no. You (and most of the people who inhabit this forum) circulate in the clouds with people who train all the time, and have been training for years.

At least once every match I see someone get warned about their draw - having their booger finger too close to the trigger. Or having a gun that fails to go bang. Then I get "Jesus I would shoot my leg off if I did that" from friends who have been carrying for years when they see videos.

Shooting yourself in the leg during an adrenaline dump will slow you down for sure lmao.

Situational awareness + practice racking the slide can make up for that lost second. Get a snap cap, practice drawing, get a revolver, get a gun with a decocker - these are all good options as people evolve. Whatever. For people starting out, Israeli carry is still better than no carry.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Thats how they do it in the movies...

Hold someone at bay with a gun.

Start questioning them.

When they don't provide the info needed...

Rack the slide to load your empty chamber this shows them you mean business!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Thats how they do it in the movies...

Hold someone at bay with a gun.

Start questioning them.

When they don't provide the info needed...

Rack the slide to load your empty chamber this shows them you mean business!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    I just go straight to blowing their lungs out with the desert eagle

Jagiov

Sep 2, 2020
    Bel Air
    "With regard a big pistol and a small, nothing wrong with the idea, but why a big Glock and a small Ruger? If you already have the 19, how about the 19 and a 26, both Glocks, same grip angle and size, same trigger, and you can carry a 17 magazine as a reload for both."

I really did give some thought to departing from Glock and from 9mm. Size was a big driver - an empty LCP Max is about 10 ozs lighter than an empty G26, and the LCP is more than an inch shorter. Add 10 rnds of 9 vs .380 and the difference grows. I have bigger Glocks - 17 and 40 - in the LCP I was looking for something very small, but with significant capacity (10+1 with 12+1 available), that can easily slip into the pocket of a pair of shorts.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i will when my permit comes in, ( just filed ) my gun has a safety though (LC9 )

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    lol, no. You (and most of the people who inhabit this forum) circulate in the clouds with people who train all the time, and have been training for years.

Situational awareness + practice racking the slide can make up for that lost second. Get a snap cap, practice drawing, get a revolver, get a gun with a decocker - these are all good options as people evolve. Whatever. For people starting out, Israeli carry is still better than no carry.
    Which is it? Practice or no? The time spent practicing target identification, smooth draw, racking the slide and getting on target, and firearm control can be better utilized by eliminating the "racking the slide" part.

I will state my opinion:. If you are uncomfortable carrying on a loaded chamber, or having your sidearm in a state of optimal readiness, or feel nervous because someone might get hurt THEN DONT CARRY! Go back to the range and practice more, because the point of ALL of this is that someone SHOULD get hurt should that sidearm need to be used (ideally the "bad guy"). If you have any doubts about that, then don't carry until you feel proficient and aware enough to do so.

Yup, same reason you'd get your HD shotgun out of the safe and rack it when a home invasion awakens you.

I'd like to take a moment to extoll the virtues of the Winchester model 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom