• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    When would I see an advantage to open carry? When I'm in the woods hunting hogs with my rifle and I need a side arm for when I'm cornered up a tree. :)

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I feel the same way about the oc rules as I do about motorcycle helmet laws. I would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet but I hate the fact it is mandated. I would most likely never oc but again I resent the fact it is outlawed.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I prefer people not know I'm armed. I have open carried many times, but unless I have a bodycam, I believe it opens me up to someone making false claims about me to law enforcement.

I also think that Blaster made points that reinforce the advantage of CC.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I feel the same way about the oc rules as I do about motorcycle helmet laws. I would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet but I hate the fact it is mandated. I would most likely never oc but again I resent the fact it is outlawed.
    Good analogy.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I believe open carry vs. concealed carry is situational...there's a time and place for each. But overall I believe concealed is preferred for most situations.

It's like many of us don't have any decals or other signs on our cars leading anyone to believe we're gun owners or there might be guns in the car. Open or concealed carry is something along the same lines.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From the statute

(2) THE REQUIREMENT IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION TO 24 KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IS NOT VIOLATED BY: 25 (I) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF A 26 HANDGUN; OR 27 (II) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF THE 28 IMPRINT OR OUTLINE OF A HANDGUN.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    From the statute

(2) THE REQUIREMENT IN PARAGRAPH (1) OF THIS SUBSECTION TO 24 KEEP A HANDGUN CONCEALED IS NOT VIOLATED BY: 25 (I) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF A 26 HANDGUN; OR 27 (II) THE MOMENTARY AND INADVERTENT EXPOSURE OF THE 28 IMPRINT OR OUTLINE OF A HANDGUN.
    How about that.... Thank you.

giphy.gif

No printing here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well said.... but I think you meant "inadvertent brandishing" here?
    "Brandishing" usually refers to pulling a gun out of concealment or holster in a menacing way(my interpretation) in other states. Md doesn't use that word, but in doing so, you could be charged with assault by Md law. I looked for the statute, but couldn't find it.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    "Brandishing" usually refers to pulling a gun out of concealment or holster in a menacing way(my interpretation) in other states. Md doesn't use that word, but in doing so, you could be charged with assault by Md law. I looked for the statute, but couldn't find it.
    Thank you.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    Got it.

I assume you've tried different cover garments for OWB with your 1911?

Puffy jacket or layered hoodie/fleece should do the job in fall/winter. I can understand the concealment limitations for warmer weather though.
    Yes. It's not a concealment / printing issue, I'm just a small guy and the larger, heavier firearms are just uncomfortable for IWB. It doesn't take much to tip over that threshold where I'm constantly tugging at my pants, or re-adjusting my holster, getting in or out of my vehicle. My P365 just feels so much more comfy to me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Obviously I open carry at work every day. Of course I also have body armor and backup there...

Unless I'm somewhere that speed is my greatest need, my overwhelming top goal is to pass unseen. I don't want you to look at me twice and I want you to forget you saw me the second you look away. I have no plans to get into a quick draw competition.

If you decide to open carry, that's on you. I will be paying close attention to you for as long as I have to be around you.

If you can't carry a full sized handgun concealed, take a look at your wardrobe. If your shoulders are wider than your hips you should be able to pull it off.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    If you can't carry a full sized handgun concealed, take a look at your wardrobe. If your shoulders are wider than your hips you should be able to pull it off.

Yup - my primary carry is a G35. I had competitions with my daughters to see if they could tell when I was carrying. I would keep the same clothes and randomly add/remove the gun. They could never tell when it was on my hip.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Yup - my primary carry is a G35. I had competitions with my daughters to see if they could tell when I was carrying. I would keep the same clothes and randomly add/remove the gun. They could never tell when it was on my hip.
    It's hard for guys who have to wear tucked in shirts. For most people though in casual wear, as long as your clothes aren't snug enough to outline the gun you're pretty well good to go.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meaning that my EDC is a micro 9mm, but I much prefer my 1911 in .45 acp.

I get it . In today's era , the norm is a micro 9mm ( or micro less ) , carried wearing your spandex bicycle shorts . And subcompact polymer 9mm's did alter the landscape by offering reasonably effective pistols in a reasonably serious caliber , in a size envelope previously occupied by Mouse Guns .

But 1911s can be concealed , people have been doing it for 112 years , and it's just as possible today , as it ever was .

You have to decide that you want to , and work out your gear to make it happen .

A classic Old Guy mantra is * Dress Around the Gun * . Depending upon your current everyday wardrobe , you might have to change . You might be one step dressier , or one step more casual , but it can be done such to not stand out as " hey , that dude has a big gun ! " .

The good news , is that due to the slimness of 1911 , it's a lot easier than M92 were during the early Wondernine Era .

If primarily concealed with OWB , a Commander does offer more sartorial flexibility .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    People: "OC deters crime"

Same people: "People don't even pay attention to OC"

I can see that disconnect , at least on the surface .

As to the first part - If it's something like every employee in the liquor store , or every person in the jewlery store is openly packing heat , it could be a deterrent for that specific location .

But generally , it's more of a macro effect . Say if in a particular town or neighborhood , a prospective Malfactor sees 10 % of all the square citizens packing heat , they might think along the lines of " Dang ! All these people around here with guns . If I were to persue my nefarious deeds around here , there would probably be somebody near by with a gun . I/ we'd better head over to that other place instead to persue our predatory occupation . "

In the micro , any one person packing a reasonably suitable gun , in reasonably suitable manner , and not actively being an @$$ hole will be unnoticed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom