• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    So wait, we're assuming that we are in a bad neighborhood that is dimly lit, cutting through back alleyways and also that we let our guards down? Dude if this is the situation and you are not at orange there is something wrong with you. If people can sneak up on you at orange then it's probably better for you to not carry a firearm concealed or otherwise.

Personally, I'd rather carry concealed so I can pick my battles and spots and moments. I can understand people wanting to OC because its far faster out of the holster. If I was in the proverbial bad neighborhood expecting trouble I'd rather be OCing because the ease and speed of access give me a better fighting chance.

If real baddie type BG's are always looking to steal guns off people then why doesn't it happen more often?

Well let me ask you this. If we are always where it is so safe, why bother to carry at all?

We always do our best to be 100% aware of our surroundings all of the time,. But people are people and work at it as the do they always don't pull it off.

The reason you don't hear about it much is because people that live where you can open carry really don't do it all that much. Sure maybe they do it a few times until they get it out of their system. But how often do you really see anyone OC? I have been in VA often and I can't ever remember seeing anyone OC. A few weeks ago they had ONE guy on TV that was making his point about gun rights so he was OC and it made the news because even though you can in VA, you just don't see it.

For the most part I bet most of the people that live in shall issue states do not carry either way most of the time. I have a number of friends that live in PA and all of them have permits to carry and I can't remember the last time any of the did. They do carry every blue moon when they feel like it. But most of the time they don't feel like it.

But maybe I'm all wrong and bad areas are a thing of the past and all we have to do is OC and all the bad guys will run from us.

But the reason you said this - "Personally, I'd rather carry concealed so I can pick my battles and spots and moments." Is because it is the smart thing to do.The reason why this is true is because CC give you the upper had for many reasons. One being you blend into the crowed and you can do exactly what you pointed out. Your not walking around with the sign that says, go ahead I dare you bringing all the attention onto yourself. Much like letting $100's hang out of your pocket will do.

Now it doesn't bother me if I would see someone OC. If you want to do it more power to you or anyone that wants to. But IMHO it's not the smartest thing you can do.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The reason you don't hear about it much is because people that live where you can open carry really don't do it all that much. Sure maybe they do it a few times until they get it out of their system. But how often do you really see anyone OC?

I think for all the hype it gets here if/when permits are issued (dont think OC will happen in MD anytime soon) we will see the same thing.

Many will do it for a few weeks...then they'll only do it when in a "bad area" then that'll turn into "only when I'm out Christmas shopping with cash" then that will turn into a handful times a year.

It's not always easy to plan your schedule around a firearm. Take for instance wanting to go to Ravens game. You'll probably be in the city for several hours, likely drinking, and the staduim wont allow you to carry inside. So do you leave it at home or leave it in the car?

How about Ocean City...you going to take it on the beach with you? Leave it in the hotel room or in your safe at home?

I think there is a ton of hype here because we cant and it's a gun community. I think the hype will wear off and you'll see not many do it all the time.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Except none of those things are "brandishing"...

Jamie

By definition absolutely right. But people are NUTS! They don't behave as you'd expect!

First of all, they love making a big deal out of nothing. They love hearing their own voices making noise.

Secondly, they sue for stupid reasons (the coffee is too hot?????)

And "anti-gunners" freak out at the word "gun". They'll say you "brandished" a gun, and you never took it out of the holster! And what are you going to say? "No I didn't?"

Then, sometime after the shit storm, the cops might release you from custody, and they may, or may not, give you back your gun. And you'll have the pleasure of paying your lawyer to prove the point and the definition! - Welcome to the new world!

Try asking 3 people what "brandish" means and I bet you get 3 different answers. (ie.: point it in their face, remove it from the holster, touch it while it's in the holster, in any way allow another to see it, let it print or show, such that others know you have it.)

The problem is; if you have a concealed carry permit and your gun is not concealed your not in compliance. That's simple. Continuing along that line of thought, CC means no one can know you have a gun = because it is concealed. (That gets a "duh!") Continuing, if others know you have a gun on you, your gun is (by definition) no longer concealed.

That brings us back to OC or CC!

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    By definition absolutely right. But people are NUTS! They don't behave as you'd expect!

First of all, they love making a big deal out of nothing. They love hearing their own voices making noise.

Secondly, they sue for stupid reasons (the coffee is too hot?????)

I assume you're referencing the McDonalds case. Yes, it was too hot. It was so hot, it caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her groin. That particular McDonalds had been cited on more than one occasion for serving coffee well above the corporate dictate temperature. Their excuse?
    Customers were complaining their coffee was cold when they got to work". So they ignored company policy, health department policy and di what they wanted, causing a woman to get scalded...

And "anti-gunners" freak out at the word "gun". They'll say you "brandished" a gun, and you never took it out of the holster! And what are you going to say? "No I didn't?"

That is exactly what I'll say. If the poise asked what happened, and they are told that I saw a mm of the gun grip, he'll walk away.
    If he's told you pulled out the gun and pointed it at someone, or that you made a threatening gesture with said gun, that's another story.

Then, sometime after the shit storm, the cops might release you from custody, and they may, or may not, give you back your gun. And you'll have the pleasure of paying your lawyer to prove the point and the definition! - Welcome to the new world!

Or, after questioning those involved, everyone goes home.

Try asking 3 people what "brandish" means and I bet you get 3 different answers. (ie.: point it in their face, remove it from the holster, touch it while it's in the holster, in any way allow another to see it, let it print or show, such that others know you have it.)

I don't care what "3 different people think brandishing means". All I care is that the police know what it means...

The problem is; if you have a concealed carry permit and your gun is not concealed your not in compliance. That's simple. Continuing along that line of thought, CC means no one can know you have a gun = because it is concealed. (That gets a "duh!") Continuing, if others know you have a gun on you, your gun is (by definition) no longer concealed.

Please cite case where someone was arrested for printing. Or for a mm of the grip showing for a second...

That brings us back to OC or CC!

Carry on (open or concealed...)

Jamie

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I assume you're referencing the McDonalds case. Yes, it was too hot. It was so hot, it caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her groin. That particular McDonalds had been cited on more than one occasion for serving coffee well above the corporate dictate temperature. Their excuse?
    Customers were complaining their coffee was cold when they got to work". So they ignored company policy, health department policy and di what they wanted, causing a woman to get scalded...

That is exactly what I'll say. If the poise asked what happened, and they are told that I saw a mm of the gun grip, he'll walk away.
    If he's told you pulled out the gun and pointed it at someone, or that you made a threatening gesture with said gun, that's another story.

I don't care what "3 different people think brandishing means". All I care is that the police know what it means...

Please cite case where someone was arrested for printing. Or for a mm of the grip showing for a second...

Jamie

Famous last words; "I didn't do it."

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Jamie

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. When you have a gun CC or CO your protected but you can open yourself for other problems. We do not live in a perfect world.

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. When you have a gun CC or CO your protected but you can open yourself for other problems. We do not live in a perfect world.

Your words are conservative. We live in a world of whacko's!

They will lie without concern for you, the truth, or honor!

People are not as they were when I was young.

Today, people want only to hurt others. By any means!

That's what I'm talking about!

They will "claim" you brandished. (Maybe they think you did. Or maybe they know you didn't.)

My point is: When the POlice find you are carrying, they have a problem. How would that creep know you have a gun unless you "brandished" it?

Now you have a fight on your hands!

BTW: I like my coffee boiling hot! AND I KNOW I WILL BE BURNED IF I SPILL IT!!!!! - Sometimes I use two cups to hold it!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Your words are conservative. We live in a world of whacko's!

They will lie without concern for you, the truth, or honor!

People are not as they were when I was young.

Today, people want only to hurt others. By any means!

That's what I'm talking about!

They will "claim" you brandished. (Maybe they think you did. Or maybe they know you didn't.)

My point is: When the POlice find you are carrying, they have a problem. How would that creep know you have a gun unless you "brandished" it?

Now you have a fight on your hands!

BTW: I like my coffee boiling hot! AND I KNOW I WILL BE BURNED IF I SPILL IT!!!!!

I hear you brother and feel the same way. Years ago I knew a business owner that had a permit. He owned some parking lots in the city. One day he got into a heated augment with someone that parked in one of his lots about some damage the customer was saying happened at the lot. The owner felt the damaged did not happen at his lot and they were bake and forth and got louder and louder.

At some point the customer must have spotted the gun on the guys side and he left then called the LEO's and said the guy brandished his gun in a threading manner.

Now I was not their to see for myself what happen. But My friend tells me he never did that. But, he was arrested and had to go to court to fright the battle.

So your right people will say anything to get their way. People also do not like to take any blame for anything. We live in the "it's the other persons fault" world. And they will stop at nothing and say anything to win over you.

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    VA carry laws OC and CC

I hear you brother and feel the same way. Years ago I knew a business owner that had a permit. He owned some parking lots in the city. One day he got into a heated augment with someone that parked in one of his lots about some damage the customer was saying happened at the lot. The owner felt the damaged did not happen at his lot and they were bake and forth and got louder and louder.

At some point the customer must have spotted the gun on the guys side and he left then called the LEO's and said the guy brandished his gun in a threading manner.

Now I was not their to see for myself what happen. But My friend tells me he never did that. But, he was arrested and had to go to court to fright the battle.

So your right people will say anything to get their way. People also do not like to take any blame for anything. We live in the "it's the other persons fault" world. And they will stop at nothing and say anything to win over you.

Can someone tell me what the VA carry law is? It seems to me anyone can OC (must you be a VA resident?) without a permit at all. But to CC you must have a permit.

Is that true?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes. If you can possess, you can OC. no matter your state of residence. You may CC with a VA permit, including a non resident VA permit or a permit from another state that VA recognizes.. You may carry a loaded firearm in your glove box or console without a permit as well

You cannot drink alcohol while CC'ing. You may drink alcohol if OC'ing, although not recommended.

IANAL

I have a VA NR permit.

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Reciprocate

Yes. If you can possess, you can OC. no matter your state of residence. You may CC with a VA permit, including a non resident VA permit or a permit from another state that VA recognizes.. You may carry a loaded firearm in your glove box or console without a permit as well

You cannot drink alcohol while CC'ing. You may drink alcohol if OC'ing, although not recommended.

IANAL

I have a VA NR permit.

This whole thing prompted me to investigate exactly where I can and can't carry. (I can't figure out which states allow anyone to OC.) Anyway...

I thought with my FL & UT NR CCW I was good all the way to FL and west to NV.

Absolutely WRONG! No one can carry in SC and CO unless a "resident" CCW of a state they recip with. And MD isn't one of them!

I wish MD would get its act together and join the USA!

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    go to www.opencarry.org

a full list of states is there for OC

These states do not honor non resident permits

SC,CO.MI NH,ME. FL

Please help me find the states are OC. I can't seem to find them!

ME I know about. I got an ME NR CCW just by asking for it. - That was cool!
    MI actually reciprocates with MD resident CCW. - That's way cool!
    FL, of course, accepts its own NR CCW.
    What the heck is up with the "Live free or die" state = NH?????

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Today was our day for voting in the primaries here in Pennsylvania, and Mrs Curmudgeon and myself went to the polls, taking the 2nd Amendment out for a little sunshine and fresh air at the same time...

Vote-Pic-2.jpg

Your day is coming, Maryland. Hold the line!
    usa.gif

:D

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Now that's voting in style! :thumbsup:

Yes, and after 48 years of Maryland living, the feeling is hard to describe.

Especially nice to receive all the "nods" and handshakes on the way in. The older gentleman who handed me the "I Voted" sticker LOL'd when I stuck it to the holster after voting. I shot him a goofy grin, collected the missus, and were on our way to Roburritos for a tasty lunch, and then a quick trip to the range.

It was the kind of a morning that can leave a man smiling for the rest of the day. > :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom