• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thank you. Your effort is appreciated.

This is the stupidest blah blah of crap I have ever read!

It seems to me a collective pasting together of ******** with the sole purpose of "catching" the law abiding, inorder to make self defense a non-starter.

Shoot yourself in the head!

In this order...

handgunlaw.us (they have maps, too)
    opencarry.org (an especially active VA contingent)
    usacarry.com
    friendorfoe.us (for carry-friendly places)

All good resources, and the info is worth searching for (or, heaven forbid, ask questions pertinent to the state ytou're interested in!)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes, and after 48 years of Maryland living, the feeling is hard to describe.

Especially nice to receive all the "nods" and handshakes on the way in. The older gentleman who handed me the "I Voted" sticker LOL'd when I stuck it to the holster after voting. I shot him a goofy grin, collected the missus, and were on our way to Roburritos for a tasty lunch, and then a quick trip to the range.

It was the kind of a morning that can leave a man smiling for the rest of the day. > :D

It's not too hard to describe, it feels like freedom, I immensely enjoy carrying when/where I'm able to. Holding out hope for MD still...

Voting, breakfast, range - yes, that sounds like a productive and fulfilling day if I ever heard one.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yes, and after 48 years of Maryland living, the feeling is hard to describe.

Especially nice to receive all the "nods" and handshakes on the way in. The older gentleman who handed me the "I Voted" sticker LOL'd when I stuck it to the holster after voting. I shot him a goofy grin, collected the missus, and were on our way to Roburritos for a tasty lunch, and then a quick trip to the range.

It was the kind of a morning that can leave a man smiling for the rest of the day. > :D

Hay, don't forget Maryland is called "The free State". if thats not the funnest thing I have heard.

http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/01glance/html/nickname.html

From the site:

Free State. Maryland was first recognized as a "Free State" on November 1, 1864. On that date, the Maryland Constitution of 1864 took effect. By its provisions, slavery within the State's borders was abolished, and Maryland, indeed, became a free state. To celebrate the emancipation, under direction of the Baltimore City Council, five hundred guns were fired, bells were rung, and flags displayed "to attest the joy of the people at their great deliverance."

I can see it now. The heads of the states at the celebration thought to themselves right after they shot the 500 guns into the air that they were going to be the first to go.

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's not too hard to describe, it feels like freedom, I immensely enjoy carrying when/where I'm able to. Holding out hope for MD still...

Voting, breakfast, range - yes, that sounds like a productive and fulfilling day if I ever heard one.

I'm sure the wifey is tired of hearing me yell, "Do you smell that?" when we're heading to the state line into DE, PA, VA, WV... "FREEEEDOMMMMM!!"

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    In this order...

handgunlaw.us (they have maps, too)
    opencarry.org (an especially active VA contingent)
    usacarry.com
    friendorfoe.us (for carry-friendly places)

All good resources, and the info is worth searching for (or, heaven forbid, ask questions pertinent to the state ytou're interested in!)

Thanks. All great info.

I've got a few carry permits. I prefer to travel in states that recognize my CC and apply for their state's cc if I can (like Maine).

I've got the concealed carry concept 100%. The maps make that real clear. Pity about this resident thing.

What I can't seem to find is a map showing which states allow OC.

It's not that I'm interested in a particular state (at this moment). I'm trying to get an understanding of what's going on out there.

If you have a cc, and the state you are in does not recognize your cc, can you cc in a National Park in that state? Can you OC?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How come MD is listed as (Licensed) OC?
    Because a MD permit to carry a handgun doesn't specify the mode of carry. Only that you licensed to carry. see license image

If you OC you're gonna get charged with brandishing or some other BS charge.

Attachments

• MD permit.jpg
      MD permit.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 154

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Texas prohibition on OC is a shocker to me too. Printing is an offense IIRC

Coworker of mine lives in Houston and carries daily. They are incredibly serious - concealed means concealed, not a single flash or unintentional print. If anyone can see any portion of the firearm and reports to the police, you will get a visit and lose your permit, according to conversations with him.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thanks. All great info.

I've got a few carry permits. I prefer to travel in states that recognize my CC and apply for their state's cc if I can (like Maine).

I've got the concealed carry concept 100%. The maps make that real clear. Pity about this resident thing.

What I can't seem to find is a map showing which states allow OC.

It's not that I'm interested in a particular state (at this moment). I'm trying to get an understanding of what's going on out there.

If you have a cc, and the state you are in does not recognize your cc, can you cc in a National Park in that state? Can you OC?

NOT LEGAL ADVICE...

Generally, I believe that if you find nothing prohibiting OC, then it's legal (eg., VA and DE, among others).

The Nat Park rule is predicated on the actual carry laws of the state in which the park is located. I can't answer to, say, CC with a UT permit in Shenandoah, though I'd probably OC when hiking there anyway.

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Perfectly legal because VA honors UT

OC or CC in a National Park is actually 1/2 the problem. (Though it's important to know what you can and can't legally do. And make your decisions based upon that knowledge.)

The other 1/2 is that it is illegal to discharge a weapon in a National Park.

Been a few places and planning another trip west. - Plan to carry in case of bear (maybe Grizzly) and/or mountain lions.

The problem is 2 fold:
    1. It is illegal to shoot the weapon they tell you is legal for you to carry.
    2. It is illegal to kill the animal that is planning on eating you.

So what would they have you do with your weapon?

Better not just show it to him. That's brandishing! UUUUUU illegal!

I guess you're supposed to throw it at the bear. eh?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A possible dilemma for sure. But I'd rather face the possibility of those charges than be dinner for Yogi. Better to have it and not need it rather than the other way round.

Kinda like being judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

Your choice. If it was me my G20SF would be on my hip.

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    A possible dilemma for sure. But I'd rather face the possibility of those charges than be dinner for Yogi. Better to have it and not need it rather than the other way round.

Kinda like being judged by 12 rather than carried by 6.

Your choice. If it was me my G20SF would be on my hip.

100% agreement!

As long as it's legal to carry it in the first place.

I carry a Ruger Alaskan as my gun of last resort. (Tough to conceal! But not impossible.)

Alaskan.jpg

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    As a parent of two i choose to carry concealed because my kids are just to little and curious right now

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    As a parent of two i choose to carry concealed because my kids are just to little and curious right now

Let me ask you about that. Because it's a really great subject and worthy of deep thought and discussion.

Here's my thinking:
    If I "hide" something from the kids, they want to find it. If they do find it they want to "see" (experience) it. They are curious by nature. That's part of being a kid. It's healthy. (Until someone gets shot!)

If I show it to them from birth. Let them hold it. Teach them that is something they are not to touch when I am not there. That it is dangerous (like so many things = car, stove, matches, electric sockets, knives, scissors, hard baseballs, bats, the street where cars drive, etc, etc, etc) I am thinking the mystery is taken away.

If my thinking holds, understanding replaces mystery.

So, they don't run into the street chasing the ball. They don't play with matches. Or stick their fingers in the electric socket, or run with scissors, or throw hard balls in the house, and yes, finally, they don't touch the gun.

Why?

Because my job (as their father/parent) is to teach them. What other job do I have? I can't be with them 24 hours a day. All I can do is teach. If I do my job they will learn. And if they learn they will be safe.

BTW, my father never taught me about guns. I found one when I college age. (A semi auto.) I took it to the back of the house, opened the sliding door, pointed it at the big hill, and pulled the trigger. It didn't fire. I put it back.

That was stupid of me. (Thank God I pointed it at a big hill. Thank God the safety must have been on, or a rd wasn't chambered. Anyway, thank God it didn't go off!)

And I was hardly a "child"!!!!! (OK, the house was off in the woods and no neighbors were around! - But it was still a dumb thing to do!)

If I had been taught would I have acted so stupidly? Would I do that today? Would you?

Why wouldn't we? - Because we were taught!

That's just my thought. I don't claim to know it all.

It's only the beginning, of what I think should be a major (and very important) discussion.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Because a MD permit to carry a handgun doesn't specify the mode of carry. Only that you licensed to carry. see license image

If you OC you're gonna get charged with brandishing or some other BS charge.

I thought brandishing meant to display a firearm in a threading manner?

For example I did not think that standing in line at your local Home Depot while OC was brandishing. But during an argument with some one if you were to move your coat aside to display your gun to make a point is considered brandishing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom