Oregon “one-ups” California again. Time to re-think retirement planning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The State of Jefferson would be a wonderful place.
    9739F438-42B1-4561-A1B2-62FC50BB573B.jpeg

Approves :thumbsup:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Maryland already has this for new gun owners.

Your HQL is your handgun owner ID and training cert, albeit not applicable to all guns.

We can't buy/sell >10 rounds either.
    Handguns, yes. The language for Atterbeary's Long Gun Qualification License got stripped out of its host bill in the Senate JPC a couple sessions ago. But no doubt she'll try to reanimate that corpse this next session.

She can't be sied for damages for what she gets passef, but I'd pay to see her called as a witness for the inevitable challenge. It wouldn't be hard to demonstrate under questioning that she knows nothing about guns other than her visceral hatred for those who lawfully own them.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not sure what you do about that. Most of the land is occupied by conservatives. But most of the people in the country are liberals. I am not sure how much land you own should have anything to do with how much your vote is worth. Should the big red areas with very few people tell the liberal cities where most of the people are actually living what to do?
    This is why the Founders wanted the individual state legislatures to appoint senators for the national offices; the legislatures represented all areas of the state, not merely the population centers. They were well aware of the dangers of mob rule.

Of course, they also wanted voters with skin in the game, for obvious reasons.

The Progressives began chipping away at that over a hundred years ago, playing the Long Game to increase the power of the State over the People.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Wait for the pendulum swing in 24...

If there was going to be a pendulum swing, it would have been this election, since midterms are generally when you see these things.

It didn’t happen.

There will be no more substantial pendulum swings from this point forward. As such, the only way to change your political circumstances is to move to a location that already supports your political viewpoint. Blue states are irretrievable now. You may as well make sure the same is true of red states by moving to one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A permit, to exercise a right. Imagine if a permit were needed for voting. The libs could cry so many rivers it would cure the drought in the southwest.

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon

Oregon passes Measure 114, one of strictest gun control measures in U.S.​

The measure will require Oregonians to obtain a permit to buy a gun after completing a firearms safety course and would ban the sale or transfer of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Hopefully the courts can stop this non-sense.
    I retired to southern (conservative) OR from CA 15 years ago. For 15 years OR has been far, far ahead of CA or MD.

I don't see how 114 survives a challenge. There might even be room for a PI since it will not go into effect until mid 2023, so a PI would preserve the status quo.

Many of the good aspects of Oregon law are still in effect. Concealed carry is through a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). This is still shall-issue and by law must be issued within 30 days of application, usually a whole lot less. Some local Sheriffs may hold it up for the full time and some may even count only business days, but it is still speedy by comparison to other states. Open carry without a license is legal and while it is not common, it is frequent enough that no one comments on it.

For almost every purpose one becomes a resident of Oregon the second he crosses the border intending to stay in OR. The only exception I know of is hunting licenses which require 6 months residency.

And, many sheriffs in the rural areas have publicly stated they are not going enforce 114. I have no idea how this works with purchases at a gun store, but private transfers are probably going to continue as is for quite some time.

There is no doubt the trend is bad, but OR still beats the worst states by a lot...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    actulally , if you discount portland , salem and eugene the rest of the state is pretty red , much like maryland . i worked in oregon for almost a year , wouldn't mind retiring there if they could fix alittle bit of the stupid . oregon reminds me of maryland , you can be to the ocean or mountians in a few hours , plus they have the high desert ( think clint eastwood movies ) .

Oregon has the same phenomenon as New York , Illinois , and Maryland . Outside of the Willamette Valley , it's filled with level headed , mostly conservative people .

And yes , parts of Oregon are unmatched for having the most variety of terrians/ scenery located in close proximity .

Other than the State Government , I'd be happy to live in Northeast Oregon .

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    As such, the only way to change your political circumstances is to move to a location that already supports your political viewpoint. Blue states are irretrievable now. You may as well make sure the same is true of red states by moving to one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, and many more reasons is why I'm leaving this month for NC. I don't see things getting any better as this nation is nose diving into a pile of feces. The division in this country is beyond fixing, we're beyond any degree of commonality that used to unite us. Instead, we've become a people aligned with tribes and allegiances not to a nation, but to political parties and personal interests. We're so divided that we no longer see the people across from us as Americans and humans. Now they're the enemy with all the inherent evils that define an enemy. And when you have a nation that starts to think like that, it's time to make preparations.
    I've read enough to what led up to the first Civil War to see that we should be very careful in the next few years. A spark can ignite wildfires especially when the tinder is so plentiful. So, if something does happen, I think I'd like to be around people who are like minded and I can count on.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Oregon passes Measure 114, one of strictest gun control measures in U.S.​

The measure will require Oregonians to obtain a permit to buy a gun after completing a firearms safety course and would ban the sale or transfer of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Hopefully the courts can stop this non-sense.

It is really stupid to put the 2A on the ballot.

NY vs Bruen. 20-843
    quoted..
    We declined to engage in means-end scrutiny because “[t]he very enumeration of the right takes out of the hands of government—even the Third Branch of Government—the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon.” Heller, 554 U. S., at 634.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    From what I am reading, their are a lot of people who would like the eastern part of Oregon to leave Oregon and become part of Idaho.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is why the Founders wanted the individual state legislatures to appoint senators for the national offices; the legislatures represented all areas of the state, not merely the population centers. They were well aware of the dangers of mob rule.

Of course, they also wanted voters with skin in the game, for obvious reasons.

The Progressives began chipping away at that over a hundred years ago, playing the Long Game to increase the power of the State over the People.
    Mob rule yes. But that was another way, at least at the time, of saying they wanted to ensure that the landowners had more stake and say in the US government than common people did. The founders didn't believe in the monarchy, but they did absolutely still believe that landed/rich people should have more rights than others. Hence all states having requirements that only land owners could vote. And the requirements for state houses was even more different than federal office. Which tended to vest power in wealthy inhabitants and larger landowners significantly more than small landowners, and none at all in non-landowners, over their state houses.

I am not sure that direct voting of senators was progressives increasing the power of the state over the people. Technically that would be vesting more power IN the people, rather than in just a few people. Closer to direct democracy. Mob rule I guess by your definition. It did not change what the federal government could do, but it did change the accountability of the representatives in government to more of the citizens. And of course over time, who qualified as a franchised citizen has changed to drop requirements for landowning, being the possessor of a penis, whites only, etc. Which further changed who the representatives were accountable and moved further away from those who happen to own most of the land and has made them more accountable to what most of the people actually want their government to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom