• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    Anyone know of a modestly priced OTF that has at least some kind protective tang no matter how small that will protect from slippage with repeated thrusting?

Had a butterfly knife in my youth what does anyone think about that for EDC?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I carry one, its the easiest one handed knife to open and close. Seems I constantly need to open packages, break down boxes, or just cut something.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I carried a MT ultratech for a year or so. Coolness factor was a 10/10. I was constantly snapping that thing open and shut. It had decent texture and jimping that would allow you to have a good purchase for thrusting Only issue I ran into with EDC a otf was pocket lint or other accumulated debris seemed to find its way into the mechanism and prevent it from deploying all the way. It’s not as easy to clean out as a side folder.

I have several butterfly or balisong knives that I practice flipping with. I’m not very good at it but I can do the basics. I think butterfly knives are a no go in Md as far as carrying. I’m not 100% on that but you might want to check.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Benchmade and Hogue both make good quality OTFs. But for durability and ease of maintenance I'd recommend a side opening auto. Like a Kershaw launch

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The OP mentioned "modestly priced". As for me personally, north of $300 is not modest. To each his own.
    When we’re talking OTF, I think $300-400 is modest unless you want to comprise. You can do Microtech for about $300. You aren’t touching GOOD OTF for less. Many are much more expensive.

I have a Benchmade OTF knock-off from Wish that was $30. I use it for opening packages. It works just fine.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I think my butterfly was like $30, been carrying it for about 5 years. Gets used a lot opening packages, cutting string and the like. I sharpen it about every 4 or 5 months. It's a work horse, not a thorough bred. I don't plan on ever shaving with it. So it is a tool that serves the purpose I want it to do. Back when I was working I carried a folding Craftsman knife in a belt pouch for over 30 years. It was a work horse too, including being used as a hammer on many occasions. It sits on my dresser now most of the time as it's too heavy to carry in sweatpants pocket. I've never owned an expensive edc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom