• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5thAve

Nov 26, 2023
    PA
    Messieurs. I understand that after the 2013 ban in MD, you can only purchase an AR-15 with HBAR, meaning contoured barrels are not legal. Colt LE 6920 has long been a popular rifle. It comes with a contoured barrel or government profile. I’m certain many once had it in MD. I was wondering what happened to those AR’s or barrels that people purchased before the ban? Are those allowed to possess or inherit? Were those sold out of state?

This question may equate to as to what happened to the guns NYC residents once had. Did they move out of state or did they sell their belongings out of state?

With all the crazy news being circulated these days, including the news about Winchester, I’m asking this question for my knowledge in case a ban comes to my state (I pray it doesn’t).

Last edited:

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Preban was grandfathered in. We are allowed to possess them post ban (for now...).

What PA may do is a different question.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Messieurs. I understand that after the 2013 ban in MD, you can only purchase an AR-15 with HBAR, meaning contour barrels are not legal. Colt LE 6920 has long been a popular rifle. It comes with a contour barrel or government profile. I’m certain many once had it in MD. I was wondering what happened to those AR’s or barrels that people purchased before the ban? Are those allowed to possess or inherit? Were those sold out of state?

This question may equate to as to what happened to the guns NYC residents once had. Did they move out of state or did they sell their belongings out of state?

With all the crazy news being circulated these days, including the news about Winchester, I’m asking this question for my knowledge in case a ban comes to my state (I pray it doesn’t).
    In MD the barrel contour is irrelevant. It must be marked or marketed by the manufacturer as an HBAR according to MSP. Their opinion or guidance is just that, it is not defined by law.
    Makes no sense but that's what it is. In MD if you owned an AR with a non HBAR barrel before 10/1/2013 you may continue to possess it. You can still build other uppers or use lightweight profile barrels on an AR that you had before 2013. Can't speak to NY or anywhere else.
    Nobody is going around to gun ranges checking barrel profiles.

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Messieurs. I understand that after the 2013 ban in MD, you can only purchase an AR-15 with HBAR, meaning contour barrels are not legal. Colt LE 6920 has long been a popular rifle. It comes with a contour barrel or government profile. I’m certain many once had it in MD. I was wondering what happened to those AR’s or barrels that people purchased before the ban? Are those allowed to possess or inherit? Were those sold out of state?

As a former VA resident who now lives in MoCo, MD: I own both a Colt 6920 with a 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel, and a Daniel Defense M4A1 which also has a 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel. I bought both rifles after 2013, and both had 14.5" M4 GOV barrels when I bought them (in VA). Before I moved here, I had Engage Armament swap their barrels for SOCOM-profile barrels because that barrel profile is described in the USG's M4A1 TDP as a "heavy" barrel. (Also: Both vendors have advertised their SOCOM barrels as "heavy".)

As RBird pointed out: Actual contour has nothing to do with it. Simply being marked or marketed as "heavy" is good enough for MSP to deem Maryland AR owners in compliance.

Also: I wouldn't worry about PA passing that ban (at least not this session). The Senate still has a majority of Republicans. The Dems also control the House by one seat, and it's never a guarantee anymore that the entire party will vote in favor of an AWB (except in the most far-left states like CA and NY).

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Also: I wouldn't worry about PA passing that ban (at least not this session). The Senate still has a majority of Republicans. The Dems also control the House by one seat, and it's never a guarantee anymore that the entire party will vote in favor of an AWB (except in the most far-left states like CA and NY).
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this last statement. Remember how many folks left MD for the "safety" of VA or DE? If you want to keep your liberties, fight to keep them early and often. Win the fight before you even have to fight.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I wholeheartedly disagree with this last statement. Remember how many folks left MD for the "safety" of VA or DE? If you want to keep your liberties, fight to keep them early and often. Win the fight before you even have to fight.

Nobody here is saying, "don't fight" (i.e., get complacent). Only that I wouldn't start planning to move my guns out-of-state, which is what he's asking about.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Does the same apply to AK-47? I’m not sure if AKs were allowed in MD though.

Yes, if you owned an AK-47 or copy (i.e., an AK rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm) prior to 2013, it's grandfathered in. Post-2013, it is only legal to own AK rifles in other calibers (e.g., 5.45 or 5.56), or AK pistols (in any caliber). If you go to any FFL here, you'll see a variety of AK-74 clones for sale, and AK pistols such as the Draco.

For example: The Norinco Type 56 is banned, and so is the MAK-90 (the version that was legal to buy in the U.S. during the era of the Federal AWB), because they are both 7.62x39mm AK-47 clones. On the other hand, the Norinco Type 84, which is basically a 5.56 version of the Type 56/MAK-90, is still GTG in MD, even if purchased after 2013.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    As a former VA resident who now lives in MoCo, MD: I own both a Colt 6920 with a 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel, and a Daniel Defense M4A1 which also has a 14.5" SOCOM profile barrel. I bought both rifles after 2013, and both had 14.5" M4 GOV barrels when I bought them (in VA). Before I moved here, I had Engage Armament swap their barrels for SOCOM-profile barrels because that barrel profile is described in the USG's M4A1 TDP as a "heavy" barrel. (Also: Both vendors have advertised their SOCOM barrels as "heavy".)

As RBird pointed out: Actual contour has nothing to do with it. Simply being marked or marketed as "heavy" is good enough for MSP to deem Maryland AR owners in compliance.

Are these 14.5" SOCOM barrels pinned and welded, on SBRs, or on braced pistols? I think there are no contour requirements for the last one.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Are these 14.5" SOCOM barrels pinned and welded, on SBRs, or on braced pistols? I think there are no contour requirements for the last one.

Yes, both of my M4A1 builds are rifles with 14.5" barrels that have the flash hiders pinned-and-welded. Here are pictures of my Daniel Defense M4A1 that I've posted in another topic.

I don't own any AR pistols or SBRs, but yes, my understanding is that the barrel profile requirement does not apply to them.

Attachments

• MattFinals-currentDDM4A1config-1.jpg
      MattFinals-currentDDM4A1config-1.jpg
      216.8 KB · Views: 31
    • MattFinals-currentDDM4A1config-2.jpg
      MattFinals-currentDDM4A1config-2.jpg
      235 KB · Views: 32

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get a braced pistol configuration lower and then put any upper you want on it.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Get a braced pistol configuration lower and then put any upper you want on it.

For now, I'm kinda skittish about buying another AR pistol (I had a DD MK18 that I sold just before I moved here), even with the nationwide injunction on the ATF's brace rule. But even when I've owned AR pistols, I always hated the recoil impulse and gas compared to my carbines.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In MD the barrel contour is irrelevant. It must be marked or marketed by the manufacturer as an HBAR. Makes no sense but that's what it is. In MD if you owned an AR with a non HBAR barrel before 10/1/2013 you may continue to possess it. You can still build other uppers or use lightweight profile barrels on an AR that you had before 2013. Can't speak to NY or anywhere else.
    Show me where in Public Safety or COMAR or MD law it states that a barrel must be marked or marketed as HBAR. I'll wait...

Hint: You won't find it....

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Show me where in Public Safety or COMAR or MD law it states that a barrel must be marked or marketed as HBAR. I'll wait...

Hint: You won't find it....

Well, yeah, because it's not the law. It's just the guidance that MSP gave FFLs and gun owners, and the standard that they're using internally when they get asked whether a certain AR is an "HBAR" or not. Obviously, that guidance carries no force of law.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well, yeah, because it's not the law. It's just the guidance that MSP gave FFLs and gun owners, and the standard that they're using internally when they get asked whether a certain AR is an "HBAR" or not. Obviously, that guidance carries no force of law.
    And yet I can find barrels being sold as HBAR profile, and I can find the same barrel contour that isn't being marked out marketed as HBAR.

Realistically speaking, as long as you can show that a barrel that isn't marketed/ marked HBAR has the same contour as one that is marketed/ marked HBAR, you can and will win, should it ever go to court.

But you're right, MSP guidance carries as much force of law as used toilet paper.

In MD the barrel contour is irrelevant. It must be marked or marketed by the manufacturer as an HBAR. Makes no sense but that's what it is. In MD if you owned an AR with a non HBAR barrel before 10/1/2013 you may continue to possess it. You can still build other uppers or use lightweight profile barrels on an AR that you had before 2013. Can't speak to NY or anywhere else.
    Where in the law does it actually define what an HBAR is and that it must be stamped as such?

As someone already stated there is no such verbage..there is no definition..so in MY definition every barrel is heavy..

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Where in the law does it actually define what an HBAR is and that it must be stamped as such?

As someone already stated there is no such verbage..there is no definition..so in MY definition every barrel is heavy..
    If you read my last post above yours, I corrected myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom