• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Where in the law does it actually define what an HBAR is and that it must be stamped as such?
    No place.

Maryland Public Safety Section 5-101​

Article - Public Safety
    § 5-101.

(p) "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

Just for fun- read this...

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    And yet I can find barrels being sold as HBAR profile, and I can find the same barrel contour that isn't being marked out marketed as HBAR.

Realistically speaking, as long as you can show that a barrel that isn't marketed/ marked HBAR has the same contour as one that is marketed/ marked HBAR, you can and will win, should it ever go to court.

But you're right, MSP guidance carries as much force of law as used toilet paper.

Yep, this is a point I've always made about BCM's SOCOM barrels, which they advertise as "medium" contour barrels on their web site. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense that MSP would go after somebody for buying one based solely on advertising, when the M4A1 SOCOM barrel is described in the USG's Technical Data Package for the M4A1 as "heavy", and most other vendors that make them either advertise them as such (Colt, FN, Daniel Defense) or will mark them as such (Centurion).

That being said, I can understand that nobody wants to take the risk of being the "test case," and spend the time, energy, and money trying to prove their innocence in court. Is it extremely low risk that MSP would ever throw the book at them? Absolutely, but it seems stupid to take the risk at all when it's easier just to buy the same barrel from another vendor that marks/markets it as "heavy." (Plus, BCM doesn't deserve our money for being so unwilling to accommodate MD gun owners.)

Side note for ya: The last time I was at Engage Armament (December), I was told that they're making progress in getting MSP to re-consider their opinion on the Daniel Defense MK12. MSP's web site currently lists it as banned in its factory configuration, but I was told that MSP was presented with the USG MK12 barrels specs and shown how DD's barrels compare. Apparently, the MSP officer they talked to was convinced. But that's TBD for now.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    No place.

Maryland Public Safety Section 5-101​

Article - Public Safety
    § 5-101.

(p) "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

Just for fun- read this...

Baltimore_City_homicides_2008_to_2024.jpg

Yeah... lot of good fsa2013 did...

And again, the only things in comar or msp guidance relate to rifles. Toss a sba3 on a lower youre building and none of it matters.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not that LWRC would sell banned "profiles", but there is nowhere on my LWRC DI IC that says it's a HB. I can't find anywhere on their website either. So it's not marketed apparently.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Not that LWRC would sell banned "profiles", but there is nowhere on my LWRC DI IC that says it's a HB. I can't find anywhere on their website either. So it's not marketed apparently.

Which DI IC model do you have? (Link?) I don't own any LWRC guns, but I see them for sale at Engage Armament all the time, and as far as I can tell, Engage doesn't do barrel swaps on them (the way they do with rifles made by Daniel Defense, Geissele, etc.)

I always assumed that LWRC stamps the barrels under the handguards? The FAQ on their web site indicates that they build the guns to be compliant with FSA 2013.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Which DI IC model do you have? (Link?) I don't own any LWRC guns, but I see them for sale at Engage Armament all the time, and as far as I can tell, Engage doesn't do barrel swaps on them (the way they do with rifles made by Daniel Defense, Geissele, etc.)

I always assumed that LWRC stamps the barrels under the handguards? The FAQ on their web site indicates that they build the guns to be compliant with FSA 2013.
    Maybe they do. I've not had the need to remove the hand guard yet. I'll look when I swap out to their MLOK rail in a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom