• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So Im looking around exploring different states non resident CCW permits. Please correct me if Im wrong but PA looks like the cheapest and simplest to aquire? Just submit the app, pay the fee, and wait it out. PA covers the states Im worried about at the moment, VA, NC, and FL so it will do for the time being.
    This is the site Im on now...is there a better place for the information?
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/concealed-carry

To those who have the PA permit:

Whats the fee?
    How long does it take?
    Am I missing anything?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    PA will only issue non-resident permits, if you have a permit issued in the state in which you reside.

If you have established a residence in PA, then it costs $25 and takes 15 minutes.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    PA will only issue non-resident permits, if you have a permit issued in the state in which you reside..

Thats confusing me. Its says if that state provides one, if Im reading it correctly. Well MD is not a shall issue states isnt it? But you answered my questions...oh well I guess Ill have to keep putting the pennies away for the Utah permit and class.

Im sure there is a thread on the Utah but is there main thread on the Utah process. I see there was some changes recently for the process.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thats confusing me. Its says if that state provides one, if Im reading it correctly. Well MD is not a shall issue states isnt it? But you answered my questions...oh well I guess Ill have to keep putting the pennies away for the Utah permit and class.

Im sure there is a thread on the Utah but is there main thread on the Utah process. I see there was some changes recently for the process.

Doesn't matter if a state is shall issue or discriminatory issue like MD, if you are a MD resident, you need a MD permit to get a PA one. IL and VT don't issue permits(for completely opposite reasons) so those can get a PA non-res permit.

Most every part of firearms code is pre-empted by state law, so localities cannot legally ban things, or make their own gun laws. The only real exception to this is the process of issuing LTCF permits, the state leaves the process to the sheriff's office or Philly PD. The cost, maximum time allowed to issue it and a few other things are state law, so it can vary. my permit, and the wife's York county LTCF's cost $25 for 5 years, required a single page application(smaller than a 4473), and we were called to come pick it up the same day the app arrived at the sheriff's office by mail. Before we moved to PA, and were MD residents, I had a FL permit(actually still have it), kinda extensive process, but not too hard to accomplish. The industry partners here could probably help by informing you what state permit is best, and guide you step-by step through the process.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Doesn't matter if a state is shall issue or discriminatory issue like MD, if you are a MD resident, you need a MD permit to get a PA one. IL and VT don't issue permits(for completely opposite reasons) so those can get a PA non-res permit.

Not completely accurate.

(1) Evidence of intent to continue to reside in this Commonwealth includes the following:

(i) Rent, lease or purchase of a property which the applicant has made a primary residence in this Commonwealth.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/004/chapter95/s95.2.html

What is a primary residence by Law in PA? It is a residence where your utility bills have your PA address on it.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I would prefer Florida as that is my main state of concern. If utah covers florida, then ill do that, but i hear ppl say get the utah and florida. My main states of concern are NC, FL, VA, and if possible DE

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I would prefer Florida as that is my main state of concern. If utah covers florida, then ill do that, but i hear ppl say get the utah and florida. My main states of concern are NC, FL, VA, and if possible DE

A Utah non- resident permit will not work in Florida. Florida offers its own non res permit.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.

Is this new? PA issued me a non-resident permit and they let me re-new it a couple years ago and I don't have a MD permit.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Yep .. I looked into it because I do have an MD permit ..they stated I need that to get a non res of thiers ..

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

SInce FL is your main concern....you HAVE to get the FL permit. They wont accept any other non-res permit you might get. If not for FL, I would have recommended the AZ permit.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    What about college students in PA? My daughter is studying there. She lives in college provided housing. Can she get PA permit?

Isn't there some law about about guns and schools??? She may be able to get her permit, but might not be able to keep any weapons on school property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom