• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    What about college students in PA? My daughter is studying there. She lives in college provided housing. Can she get PA permit?

If she has a PA DL

Per the ATF Page 126 as printed, column 3 bottom, a student can be considered a resident of the state the school is in. She can use her student address...a drivers license is not required for a LTCF. Do you know what County?

Isn't there some law about about guns and schools??? She may be able to get her permit, but might not be able to keep any weapons on school property.

No law...but maybe school rule.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Is this new? PA issued me a non-resident permit and they let me re-new it a couple years ago and I don't have a MD permit.

I had a PA permit without benefit of one from MD for quite a few years. The sheriff would not renew it this year due to several changes in the permitting system out of Harrisburg. While not needed (several of my other permits are recognized by PA), it was nice to have a PA permit since that's where I was born. Plus - it's always easier IMHO to hand LEO an in-state permit if the need arises.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is this new? PA issued me a non-resident permit and they let me re-new it a couple years ago and I don't have a MD permit.

I had a PA permit without benefit of one from MD for quite a few years. The sheriff would not renew it this year due to several changes in the permitting system out of Harrisburg. While not needed (several of my other permits are recognized by PA), it was nice to have a PA permit since that's where I was born. Plus - it's always easier IMHO to hand LEO an in-state permit if the need arises.

PA changed the law,either you must have a primary residence in PA, or a Carry permit from your home state.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=54238

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    She is in Northern Philadelphia (Philadelphia University)

I know that Philadelphia has some extra restrictions there...

Talked it over with some other PA folks. Without proof of residence...Phila PD might be rough....it would be much easier for her to get an AZ, or UT, or FL permit.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So I have decided I want to go for the Florida CCW permit.

Id also like to see a map of where OC is aloud, without a permit. Or does anyone know those states?

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    So I have decided I want to go for the Florida CCW permit.

Id also like to see a map of where OC is aloud, without a permit. Or does anyone know those states?

http://www.opencarry.org/

Open Carry - the state laws and noted police abuse of many who exercise that right are just way too complex to get from just a map. Even here in Pennsylvania.

http://paopencarry.org/

Pennsylvania law does allow open carry by those without a carry permit if they are on foot. A carry permit is required to carry that way in Philadelphia (the only Pennsylvania "city of the first class"), or while travelling by any vehicle.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    not that it matters now cause it sounds like all was settled, but I have PA LTCF and I filled out the application complete with email address, sent them(York Cnty) $25 and 2 weeks later I had my permit.

For others that it might help....

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    not that it matters now cause it sounds like all was settled, but I have PA LTCF and I filled out the application complete with email address, sent them(York Cnty) $25 and 2 weeks later I had my permit.

For others that it might help....

He wanted a Non Resident permit. He lives in Md. and doesn't havce a Md. permit so he can not obtain one.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Philly's illegal ordinance allows for a UT permit...

See (3)(a)

Nice, thanks. I didn't see this:

(a) a person licensed to carry a firearm or to hunt by a state with firearms
    laws similar to the firearms laws of Pennsylvania, and which provides a reciprocal
    privilege for individuals licensed by Pennsylvania. For purposes of this subsection (a),
    only the following states are deemed to have firearms laws similar to those of
    Pennsylvania: Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Montana, North Dakota and Utah.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    http://www.opencarry.org/

Open Carry - the state laws and noted police abuse of many who exercise that right are just way too complex to get from just a map. Even here in Pennsylvania.

http://paopencarry.org/

Pennsylvania law does allow open carry by those without a carry permit if they are on foot. A carry permit is required to carry that way in Philadelphia (the only Pennsylvania "city of the first class"), or while travelling by any vehicle.

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    Now that's interesting!!!

My FL, NH, UT and VA permits are good everywhere in PA, but only UT is okay in Philly - what a crock. :mad54:

*sigh*
    At the expense of having to acknowledge this illegal ordinance, You're forgetting about section 2a:

a resident of another state, which state has a reciprocity agreement with
    Pennsylvania under 18 Pa. C.S.§ 6109(k) or has statutory reciprocity under § 6106(b)

As you can see here, PA has formal written agreements with every state you mentioned. In fact, it looks as if this ordinance is virtually a mirror of state law.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    *sigh*
    At the expense of having to acknowledge this illegal ordinance, You're forgetting about section 2a:

As you can see here, PA has formal written agreements with every state you mentioned. In fact, it looks as if this ordinance is virtually a mirror of state law.

Uh, I did preface my remark by saying my other permits were recognized by PA; i.e., formal agreements in place.

So, does section 2a referenced here or (3)(a) referenced by gamer jim will the prize?

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Hey fellas, bear with me here as I'm a greenhorn to all of this, but I've got to ask! When you're all talking about acquiring these permits is it because it's a loophole in MD and you're able to carry or is it just for when you travel through those states? Thanks!

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    Uh, I did preface my remark by saying my other permits were recognized by PA; i.e., formal agreements in place.

Yes, but then you ended saying Philly will only accept your UT permit. Turns out Philly will accept all permits that are recognized by PA. Imagine that...

So, does section 2a referenced here or (3)(a) referenced by gamer jim will the prize?

Section 3 is prefaced with:

then, in addition to the persons categorized in subsection (2)(a), the following persons shall not be prohibited from carrying a firearm upon the public streets or public property:

It then goes on to list 7 states that the authors have deemed comply with section 3a. This list happens to be the same states with which we have statutory reciprocity minus Iowa.

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    Hey fellas, bear with me here as I'm a greenhorn to all of this, but I've got to ask! When you're all talking about acquiring these permits is it because it's a loophole in MD and you're able to carry or is it just for when you travel through those states? Thanks!

We are not discussing any loopholes. The 'law' in question is a Philly law. MD does not recognize any carry permit except its own. We are discussing permits that cover the greatest number of *other* states in the country making travel easier in the same and other states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom