• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's only "fair and equitable" considering the owners pay no gasoline taxes earmarked for highway repairs and expansion. How much is enough is an open question...to the politicians there is no "enough"...it's always gotta be more.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    EV's have dodged the road use tax long enough. This won't solve the entire problem but I don't see what's so difficult about adding a "per Kwh" tax at public charging stations just as you add a "per gallon" tax at petro pumps.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    If they abolished the fuel tax and replaced it with a mileage based use tax I could be OK with it.

But I'm NEVER OK with a new tax.
    I only have one beef with the mileage use tax- it violates the privacy of the citizen by letting the gov't monitor where they drive, or at least, their mileage.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Sort of.

Actually, this is one of those camel’s nose under the tent /slippery slope things. Because cars get better gas mileage than they used to. It has already been proposed to tax all cars by annual mileage. It was proposed, but not entered in legislation in Maryland during several general assemblies

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    If they abolished the fuel tax and replaced it with a mileage based use tax I could be OK with it.

But I'm NEVER OK with a new tax.
    Please explain how one would administer a mileage based use tax? Car connected to WiFi?, Annual visit to pay "emissions station" to read odometer? What about out of state driving?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If a mileage tax is enacted for all...then the gasoline tax should be abolished...otherwise drivers are being double taxed. But...that's not likely...government can never do with less. It's a voracious beast only out to grow in size and influence.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    EV's have dodged the road use tax long enough. This won't solve the entire problem but I don't see what's so difficult about adding a "per Kwh" tax at public charging stations just as you add a "per gallon" tax at petro pumps.
    That would mostly get tourists. The EV owners who charge at home, would continue to not pay their share.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I only have one beef with the mileage use tax- it violates the privacy of the citizen by letting the gov't monitor where they drive, or at least, their mileage.
    It's recorded annually anyway in mandatory state inspections.

That is how PA catches people selling cars, who rewind the odometers.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    That would mostly get tourists. The EV owners who charge at home, would continue to not pay their share.
    Could make "smart" chargers that record how much went through the dongle or a separate meter not unlike separate water meters for those that water their lawn.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Please explain how one would administer a mileage based use tax? Car connected to WiFi?, Annual visit to pay "emissions station" to read odometer? What about out of state driving?

The way we pay federal income tax. Self report backed up by audit. And yes, 'audit' could mean a kiosk that reads mileage via a plug in or wifi port. Just make the port mandatory for any car registered in the state, the manufacturers will standardize in a hurry if someone like CA required it.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Electricity is obtainable from many more places than gas is. You can't cover every scenario and way you can plug in a car to an outlet. The easiest way to apply a fuel tax equivalent is to bill it at EV purchase and titling or title transfer. Anything short of that can be circumvented for those inclined as even registration is ignored by some people.

I would also rather not pay extra taxes, but I hate to say it does make sense that heavier than average vehicles not paying any fuel tax should also be contributing to road maintenance funds somehow.

GCM56

MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2021
    Tax on batteries.
    Lithium batteries are regulated as a hazardous material under the U.S. Department of Transportation's (DOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 C.F.R., Parts 171-180). The HMR apply to any material DOT determines can pose an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The way we pay federal income tax. Self report backed up by audit. And yes, 'audit' could mean a kiosk that reads mileage via a plug in or wifi port. Just make the port mandatory for any car registered in the state, the manufacturers will standardize in a hurry if someone like CA required it.
    I wouldn't be against this...something like you visit once per calendar year, at your leisure, that way an avg is established and as long as what you claim reasonably meets up with what is recorded...you are good

The politicians would screw this up though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom