• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Ok everyone, I found a pic of a colt 6920, which also uses a carbine length gas system with a2 front sight. This scope setup is what I was looking into. Finally found a pic, and want to know if it looks decent? Long scope dont look too "long" or out of place? After thinking, and thinking, I hate to butcher a new rifle I havent even shot yet. I am happy with it as is, just worried about the scope looking funny.

OP....Sorry for hijacking you thread. Congrats on your new rifle. I hope you like it as much as I like mine....

Here is a set up I was thinking of doing:

yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    No worries yea i wanted a rail because i do have the double heat shield so it is front heavy and it turns out i got amazon to send me one for free from ATI. Not the best but hey its free. I got the YHM low profile gas block that came today. Im waiting for the rail and my fore grip and magpul to get here. I had an old sight layin around i can put on it for now. Its a cheap simmons sight from walmart.

Attachments

• 20140212_094627.jpg
      20140212_094627.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 305
    • 20140212_161232.jpg
      20140212_161232.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 300
    • 20140212_164939.jpg
      20140212_164939.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 302

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I finally decided and went to get my colt today. I got it from Accurate pawn in ellkridge and I must say i had a great time working with Lou. Great customer service and easy to talk to. I would recommend taking a look at what they have . I will have pics up tomorrow when i get home and unbox her and get her cleaned up and decked out lol.

Is Lou running accurate pawn now? What happened to Gus?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Quad,

You can't see the front sight whether you are at 3 power or 10 power. While my 6920 looks goofy because I didn't bother putting the magazine in, overall, I think it looks just fine. As a side benefit, the front sight gives you something to bump the rifle against without hitting the scope.

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    @Quad...id be more worried about getting my hand out far enough on that carbine length guard. Then again, I'm 6'3" with long arms. It's nice to have that option there though for better muzzle control during fallow up shots.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Quad,

You can't see the front sight whether you are at 3 power or 10 power. While my 6920 looks goofy because I didn't bother putting the magazine in, overall, I think it looks just fine. As a side benefit, the front sight gives you something to bump the rifle against without hitting the scope.

Thanks for the pic and input. I appreciate it!! I am gonna just get the scope and mounts and swap to a cheap 2 piece magpul handguard. I just figured being use to traditional scopes, I wouldnt be happy with a red dot.Thanks again.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    No problem. Just make sure your scope will clear the rear sight. mine has about 1/16-1/8". This gun has the Matech (?) sight IIRC.

By the way, when I put the EoTech on it, the front sight still doesn't bother me.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I use a dot sight and have the fixed front sight. I never notice the front sight when using the dot. Can't say about using a regular scope with it, though.

Unless your Red Dot is sitting super high, you should notice the front sight whether you're running it in absolute or lower 1/3rd co-witness. Whether or not it bothers you is a completely different story.

I have a Red Dot on a rifle with a fixed front sight in lower 1/3rd and while I can see it, I don't mind. I actually prefer to see it.

If you're running a variable then you may be able to see the front sight depending on how true your 1x power is. For instance, a Leupold VXR 1x4 is not a true 1x so you shouldn't be able to see the front sight. I suppose this would also depend how far your front sight is away from the optics.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    OJ, yes, if I look for it I can see it but with the dot on it isn't noticeable because I am focused on the dot and because the brighter light of the dot will produce a greater stimulus the mind will attend to. The front sight is only seen in the bottom third of the optic. I also don't cowitness since that does not work with my set up.

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I had that scope temporarily on a build. It's good glass for the price point, the BDC reticle isn't all that great though as the rings are a little to big at distance.

11fdd7d9-ea93-42f7-9bd5-6a2bb597fdb6_zps22f55102.jpg

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I have a buddy with the same one andd it didnt leak on him so im hoping it wont on me. If it does i can put the front tight back on or order a different one

If it leaks, I'd locate another front sight, and cut it down. They are suppose to be as good as it gets, since its pinned to the barrel.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I still might just cut mine but im not as handy with cutting it.metal so im kinda scared to try

I was and am a little worried too. I know I can do it, but its just the what if's that worry me. A dremel would be the choice and work slow. Keep trying to see if it'll clear. That way you remove as little as possible

yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    Yea im gonna try to get a dremel today and see if i can do it. My troy alpha rail comes monday so hopefully i can have it cut and shaaped before then so i can jist slip the rail on and be ready to go. Also got my foregrip and sling. Need a magpul pistol grip and ill be content for awhile anyways lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom