• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Bear Chreek lower is fine, but honestly, get a nicer upper. I like Windham Weaponry. These are both heavy barrels and GTG for Maryland:

I have one of these and I put on some different handguards. One thing nice about the dissipator model is the gas block is underneath the handgaurds and you could just remove the front sight tower and free float the barrel if you want to later on down the road. For me, I like it just like this. Windham has high quality parts. They are the original Bushmaster.

rifle-556-ww.jpeg

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You don't have to spend a ton of money on a budget AR, but you will spend a ton of money over time getting it to where you want.

First you change the stock, then the handguard, then you change the trigger, then you change the pistol grip, then you change the selector, then you change....... See how it goes? By the thime you are done playing with the budget build, you're already into it for at least 1k.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You don't have to spend a ton of money on a budget AR, but you will spend a ton of money over time getting it to where you want.

First you change the stock, then the handguard, then you change the trigger, then you change the pistol grip, then you change the selector, then you change....... See how it goes? By the thime you are done playing with the budget build, you're already into it for at least 1k.
    Yes. It may START as a budget AR; doubtful it will end that way :)

Feb 28, 2013

I built one entirely out of stock parts with a barrel I already had, and that was way more than $400

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not sure pulling out 2 takedown pins, slapping on an upper, and pushing the pins back in counts as a "build."
    Just saying. . .
    I dunno, I did a retro build. I bought a Colt MT6700, split it in half, added a carry handle, put it back together, called it a high quality build. I know what I'm doing.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Bkingsfirearms check em out.
    They run "kits" complete less lower, maybe
    find something in the price range you describe. I've dealt with them several times, always check out their "bargain bin" found some "blem" lowers really cheap, only thing was a blem in the coating you could barely see.

Me I'm more into "retro" builds..
    So that's what mainly purchase....but
    if a good price comes up, gotta get it.

Plus I no longer gotta worry about all that MD. Gun crap.

-Rock

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For Op:
    You listed online prices. Shipping now is rising and ffl fees need to be added also. Since you are thonking of shipping the upper and lower to two different places that is two times the shipping. Shipping the lower will be a little more since it is a serialized conponent. So assuming common costs:

ship upper to you: $18
    ship lower to ffl: $30
    ffl fee: $30 minimum
    purchase out of state will still cost tax so we will exclude those.
    the background check fee is excluded since that needs to be paid regardless.

So you now have $78 more to consider for your AR-15. This puts you at $478 min or $578 max in your considered limits. Look for a decent used or get a Ruger, DelTon or something like that from a local ffl/gun shop.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For Op:
    You listed online prices. Shipping now is rising and ffl fees need to be added also. Since you are thonking of shipping the upper and lower to two different places that is two times the shipping. Shipping the lower will be a little more since it is a serialized conponent. So assuming common costs:

ship upper to you: $18
    ship lower to ffl: $30
    ffl fee: $30 minimum
    purchase out of state will still cost tax so we will exclude those.
    the background check fee is excluded since that needs to be paid regardless.

So you now have $78 more to consider for your AR-15. This puts you at $478 min or $578 max in your considered limits. Look for a decent used or get a Ruger, DelTon or something like that from a local ffl/gun shop.
    United Gun Shop and Engage Armaments usually have some nice AR's, both used and new, on hand.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IDK - I still stand by a build with one of the WIndham uppers. Get an Aero Precsion stripped lower and maybe a parts kit from Winham as well. You can borrow tools from any of. Buy a six pack of beer and I'll come over and build the lower for you over a couple beers.

[EDIT] Oh - here's another Windham upper heavy barrel w/o the front sight tower,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom