• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    So this carcano came in a bag several years ago. Got it put together, seems to be missing the top of the handgaurd (see pic with tissue to show contrast under rear sight block) and the cleaning rod. I have no clue how to identify the markings on it. Thus I don't know if it's a glorified fence pipe or something desirable (is there such a thing as a desirable carcano?)

I don't know if it is shootable, the bore looked furry with rust when I got it, looks potentially pitted now that I've run patches through it.

What I (think) I know
    -It's a carcano
    -7,35mm chambering
    -spent many years in a cloth bag
    -was under bed before that
    -rust, everywhere. Cleaned up with rags and oil but nothing more aggressive.
    IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg

More pics 2nd post

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    It's been sporterized, value is very low. A regular military config one of these is cheap, so a sporter will be significantly less. I would say about $150 conservatively if it is functional...the ammo is a huge crutch, except for reloaders, for the 7.35 rifles.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Thanks! I figured it had been bubba'd when I saw the notch under the sight block that looked like it was to capture a part of the stock that wasn't there. Odd part is there is a cleaning rod storage in the stock, empty of course, which is why I wasn't sure if it was part of the original.

That's about what I figured, especially considering it's condition.

I hadn't realized how scarce ammo was for them until your comment. seems like there isn't any aftermarket support for the 7.35.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Very well might be worth more in parts than assembled...it's not uncommon with sporters that are mostly in-tact to be worth significantly more in parts.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    That is somewhat amusing, makes sense though. Thanks for your help!

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Not only is 7.35 Carcano ammo hard to find - the bullet is an odd duck, .300, so it is hard to source bullets if you want to reload for it.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I bought a Carcano "Calvary" carbine awhile back.

Can't get it to feed out of the clips. Tried several different clips - brass and steel. None worked.

Even went as far as to buy another complete trigger guard assembly with latch - didn't make a difference - still won't feed correctly.

Deemed it a POS and stuck it in the far corner of a safe solely as an Italian representative in my WWII collection.

Italian Carcano_1.png

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Trepang, I ended up single feeding my reloads as I think the clips work best with original ammo. I have 2 and they are indeed POS rifles and the sights suck. I don't think the Italians spent much time "aiming small"

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    You're right, that does look like an SA...if it's a finn then that adds another level....

paging H2U....
    Finn REMF. Even the cooks avoided those!!!
    It was probably assigned to latrine duty :D

Bring it Saturday to the Blaster-thon and we can laugh….er, I mean…evaluate it.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Trepang, I ended up single feeding my reloads as I think the clips work best with original ammo. I have 2 and they are indeed POS rifles and the sights suck. I don't think the Italians spent much time "aiming small"
    Gotcha - I ended up feeding it like a single shot when I tried to shoot it.
    Can't believe the Italians actually went to war with gear like this.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Finn REMF. Even the cooks avoided those!!!
    It was probably assigned to latrine duty :D

Bring it Saturday to the Blaster-thon and we can laugh….er, I mean…evaluate it.
    Laugh, laugh is the right word. This thing missed it's true calling as a fencepipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom