• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I figure we should start a running list of venues which will be screening for weapons. Obviously government buildings will likely have metal detectors but other busineeses will use less obvious means. Things like stadiums, museums and concert venues are of special interest to me. Please note whether there was a sign posted which prohibited weapons, what you observed and how you became aware of it.

It goes without saying that this thread WILL NOT be used to attempt to circumvent laws/ rules or the rights afforded private proerty. I'm hoping to prevent issues when a lawful carrier goes to attend a concert (or similar) and finds out they're being wanded at the door unexpectedly.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Last time I was at an O’s game I had to go through a metal detector. Same with the Convention Center (at least for the auto show).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    New technology makes gun screening not look like conventional metal detectors and wanding. With Evolv you may not know they are screening you for weapons.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    New technology makes gun screening not look like conventional metal detectors and wanding. With Evolv you may not know they are screening you for weapons.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Last time I was at an O’s game I had to go through a metal detector. Same with the Convention Center (at least for the auto show).

Camden Yards and M&T Bank are both under the Stadium Authority and are GFZs under COMAR.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    As I mentioned in another thread... Northrop Grumman Credit Union on Corporate Blvd. in Linthicum has signage and a metal detector that does, indeed, work. I no longer need their services.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    I have CC/OC throughout PG county (all around the hood) for about a month now. I only saw and ignored 1 no guns sign. I have only received 3 extended glances/long stares (not counting kids). I have not been approached, or questioned, only shadowed by a security guard in giant.

The thing that I have noticed, and not expected was half of those fiberglass portal entry kiosk things don't work, the ones that do illuminate a red or blue light, but no audible alert.

In my neighborhood (DC), I have only encountered 2 "No guns Including CC Permit Holders" signs. one was lidl's near Hechingers Mall (I don't shop Lidl's), and Auto Zone on Minnesota Ave. I asked the store security guard if the entry portal was active, he said yes. I told the manager I have to make all of my purchases in Landover, where there are no signs. He said sorry It's a corporate requirement.... But there are no such signs in Landover, Bowie, Lanham or Greenbelt (In Mayland, I would have ignored them if there were).

My Credit Union NASA FCU, has the double locking entry portal. none of the banks that I use have any visible detectors. I'll probably try a bank next time I go.

Last edited:

rrrenyer071

MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2020
    University Park, MD
    Other than schools, I have not yet seen a No Gun Sign anywhere in PG County. And I’ve been looking for them. I also haven’t seen any in Anne Arundel County either. Haven’t had time to go into other parts of MD yet.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Meaning no disrespect to our membership, but can we limit this thread to actual experiences and not musings on what should and should not be areas where carrying is prohibited?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have CC/OC throughout PG county (all around the hood) for about a month now. I only saw and ignored 1 no guns sign. I have only received 3 extended glances/long stares (not counting kids). I have not been approached, or questioned, only shadowed by a security guard in giant.

The thing that I have noticed, and not expected was half of those fiberglass portal entry kiosk things don't work, the ones that do illuminate a red or blue light, but no audible alert.

In my neighborhood (DC), I have only encountered 2 "No guns Including CC Permit Holders" signs. one was lidl's near Hechingers Mall (I don't shop Lidl's), and Auto Zone on Minnesota Ave. I asked the store security guard if the entry portal was active, he said yes. I told the manager I have to make all of my purchases in Landover, where there are no signs. He said sorry It's a corporate requirement.... But there are no such signs in Landover, Bowie, Lanham or Greenbelt (In Mayland, I would have ignored them if there were).

My Credit Union NASA FCU, has the double locking entry portal. none of the banks that I use have any visible detectors. I'll probably try a bank next time I go.
    DC has very specific wording that the sign must include and if that Lidl's sign said what you say it said that doesn't cut it.

I've been carrying in DC a ton since they went MAY ISSUE and the only sign I have seen which meets the requirement was at a Shake Shack restaurant on 14th Street NW.

Carry on....

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    DC has very specific wording that the sign must include and if that Lidl's sign said what you say it said that doesn't cut it.

I've been carrying in DC a ton since they went MAY ISSUE and the only sign I have seen which meets the requirement was at a Shake Shack restaurant on 14th Street NW.

Carry on....
    Thanks for the response, the sign I mentioned was at the autozone, Minnesota Ave. I'm gonna verify/measure both of them next time I'm around.

PoffyD

Sep 6, 2022
    Washington county
    Meritus hospital security guard and police officer said that they are private property and will not allow permit holders to carry. No signage but I was listening in on the conversation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In regard to "sensitive. ...........they oversee all day.

Paragraphs are such wonderful things . They help the writer organize their key points , and let the readers make it all the way thru what you put effort into writing .

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    FYI, NASA FCU's Annapolis branch (next to the Amish market) does not have signs, a locking portal or a passive scanner. I do all of my walk in business there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom