• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I reload 6.5 CR rounds, and last range trip had 1 round struck with no bang. Yes it has powder in it. Solid strike. First time I’ve had a CCI primer not go bang after hundreds loaded.

All that said, I have a kinetic puller (hammer), and am thinking of pulling it. Anyone had any experience with this? Other than appropriate protective equipment, tips for proceeding or toss it? Much thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I reload 6.5 CR rounds, and last range trip had 1 round struck with no bang. Yes it has powder in it. Solid strike. First time I’ve had a CCI primer not go bang after hundreds loaded.

All that said, I have a kinetic puller (hammer), and am thinking of pulling it. Anyone had any experience with this? Other than appropriate protective equipment, tips for proceeding or toss it? Much thanks.

Kinetic will work fine. A collet puller is better and less destructive.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Go a head and pull it. Dump your powder and very slowly deprime it. I've done It a bunch never had one go bang. Also just a heads up I had a bunch of CCI primers not go bang and I though I had bad primers or a firing pin issue turns out my son wasn't seating the primers all the way and the firing pin was striking them and pushing them forward and no bang. Long story short he no longer primes and I've had no issues since.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Go a head and pull it. Dump your powder and very slowly deprime it. I've done It a bunch never had one go bang. Also just a heads up I had a bunch of CCI primers not go bang and I though I had bad primers or a firing pin issue turns out my son wasn't seating the primers all the way and the firing pin was striking them and pushing them forward and no bang. Long story short he no longer primes and I've had no issues since.

Interesting. This is the first issue I’ve ever had out of a box of 1000, and I’m 2/3rds through it. They are now a few years old though.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I did not. In hindsight I should have. But after 15 seconds I checked the round with a solid strike, similar to other spent shells.

It often works, for whatever reason and not fully seated primers are a sure fire way to have that issue.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't think there's any real danger even if the primer decided to ignite while using a kinetic puller. The gas from the powder is going to find the weakest part of the cartridge for the gas to escape, which will most likely be straight back through the flash hole. It might scare you, but won't be explosive.

My friends and I found a shotshell one day when we were out with our BB guns, so we sat it up and took turns shooting at it to see who could it the primer. My buddy finally hit it and the results were underwhelming - it hissed powder gas back through the flash hole.

Regarding how to strike a kinetic puller, I always just use the anvil of my vise - so far no issues, bullets come free easily, and the kinetic pullers are so cheap, I figure that even if it should break (and I'm planning on it eventually) I can get a new one Amazon'd to my house within a day or so for about $20 - it's just not even worth worry about.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The AGC range has collection containers for safe disposal of "dud" rounds. I don't know what happens to them. I would think most ranges have something similar.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Make sure to wear safety glasses, when you pull it.
    I would do it outside, as the primer will probably be ejected if it goes off..

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    For onezees I use a kinetic hammer and an anvil I made in 7th grade from a railroad track.

anvil.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In my early days of reloading I had some high primers that did not seat all the way. 2nd strike on them set them off. I learned to inspect better and also have a better feel for when hand priming. I can not recall the brand but I did have a SPP not go off even after repeated attempts and pulled it out to inspect. pulled the anvil out and there was nothing under the paper. At one point I had purchased really old primers at a gun show probably back before primer companies had camera inspection equipment.

Cool Anvil Harry.

I have a steel plate in my work room and earpro next to my bench on the floor. (cause it will cause my ears to ring if I don't use earpro).

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    In my early days of reloading I had some high primers that did not seat all the way. 2nd strike on them set them off. I learned to inspect better and also have a better feel for when hand priming. I can not recall the brand but I did have a SPP not go off even after repeated attempts and pulled it out to inspect. pulled the anvil out and there was nothing under the paper. At one point I had purchased really old primers at a gun show probably back before primer companies had camera inspection equipment.

Cool Anvil Harry.

I have a steel plate in my work room and earpro next to my bench on the floor. (cause it will cause my ears to ring if I don't use earpro).
    That little anvil has more road time than a gipsy truck driver. I have had across country, and from Maine to Cuba. It was a bitch harvesting the railroad track. It was an old bead from the 1800s behind my house and I used a hack saw to cut through it. I think it was 30 or more blades and a sore arm.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

Cool Anvil Harry.

I’m still yet to pull it. But I just de primed all the rounds that did go bang. I think I had seated the primer too deep, seems like a light strike. Although it doesn’t appear it. Just guessing from the depth of the primer of the dud vs the rest of the batch. I may just save it and see if a second strike does the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom