• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I did not. In hindsight I should have. But after 15 seconds I checked the round with a solid strike, similar to other spent shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF the primer wasn't fully seated , the firing pin strike will seat it the rest pf the way , but enough energy is lost in the friction to not set it off . A second strike on the now fully seated primer , would likely go Bang .

Ray Savage

Nov 29, 2021
    I reload 6.5 CR rounds, and last range trip had 1 round struck with no bang. Yes it has powder in it. Solid strike. First time I’ve had a CCI primer not go bang after hundreds loaded.

All that said, I have a kinetic puller (hammer), and am thinking of pulling it. Anyone had any experience with this? Other than appropriate protective equipment, tips for proceeding or toss it? Much thanks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Once upon a time, I pulled a whole bunch of 7.62x54R rounds with hang-firing primers using a kinetic puller. No problems at all.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That hungarian silver tip light ball that came in a while back?
    This was a loooooong time ago. Like maybe 2011. I'm 99% sure it was simply due to inadequate storage (opened tin in the garage). Didn't really bother me, I bought the ammo super cheap for testing purposes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This was a loooooong time ago. Like maybe 2011. I'm 99% sure it was simply due to inadequate storage (opened tin in the garage). Didn't really bother me, I bought the ammo super cheap for testing purposes.
    Would be about right. That's what maxim and pkm guys were running at the Creek in 2010

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Do you uniform the primer pocket? I always uniform the primer pocket be it pistol or rifle caliber. The fit is much better than brass not uniformed. I've been handloading for forty plus years and never had a misfire yet. CCI primers are my favorite, but I have used other brands.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Do you uniform the primer pocket? I always uniform the primer pocket be it pistol or rifle caliber. The fit is much better than brass not uniformed. I've been handloading for forty plus years and never had a misfire yet. CCI primers are my favorite, but I have used other brands.
    Always a good idea concur.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

When you say uniform, what exactly do you mean? I clean them out, yes.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    When you say uniform, what exactly do you mean? I clean them out, yes.

There is a tool after you clean the primer pocket with a small or large hole primer pocket brush. One works for both small pistol and rifle. One works for large pistol. One works for large rifle. Large rifle primers are a slight bit higher but same diameter as large pistol. You turn it clockwise just like a primer pocket brush. Midway sells them. K&M is one company. Hornady, Lee, RCBS and Lyman make the tool. Well worth it you only have to do it once. I guess you could say it "squares" the bottom of the primer pocket. You will see a little bit of brass particles come out. Hope this helps you out!

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Mild taps on a solid surface work the best. I have a 4x4 block end grain on concrete. Indoor/outdoor carpeted concrete doesn't work.
    Works on my basement floor with rug on concrete. It isn't carpet though to your point.

Probably too late. OP asked about safety equipment, anything that's live, just in case, I throw on eye protection and some ear muffs. In a few dozen cases I've needed to deprime and a few dozen rounds that had issues or finds on the shoot range ground I've taken apart for components I've had zero go off. I don't plan to stop with the protection though. Takes seconds to do.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Just recently, I was using a kinetic puller to disassemble several 9mm rejects (IK22 headstamps from ~Yugoslavia) - and the primer went off during the 3rd or 4th smack. It was uneventful although it discolored the powder (Titegroup) to a yellowish color. That's was the first time I've ever experienced a primer going off while performing any reloading function.

Only thing I can leave you with - wear eye protection while you reload.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Sometimes now with 22’s I need to use pliers to pull a heeled bullet out.
    I can still wiggle a CF cartridge bullet out by hand though.
    Me a my friend Roy pulled a whole bunch of bullets at the range not long ago to look at the powder, burn it off on the parking stop by the awning when it was cold out.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I reload 6.5 CR rounds, and last range trip had 1 round struck with no bang. Yes it has powder in it. Solid strike. First time I’ve had a CCI primer not go bang after hundreds loaded.

All that said, I have a kinetic puller (hammer), and am thinking of pulling it. Anyone had any experience with this? Other than appropriate protective equipment, tips for proceeding or toss it? Much thanks.

Toss it.

Most ranges have a container for dud rounds. They are usually put into a container of oil.

It’s not made of gold. Safest option is to just dispose of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom