• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    I'm left handed. IWB kydex single clip holster. Position is ~8:00.
    The single clip kydex makes it simple to safely remove and store if I have to go into a GFZ. Bang switch stays covered.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    Ok, first off Happy Halloween

Second and the topic of this thread. Something has been bugging me since I took my wear and carry class, I just can't seem to make sense of this opinion on carry position.

The instructor included a portion of training on drawing from the holster and the training made you certified to holster draw at the Guntry.

He stated that both shoulder holster and cross draw were inherently unsafe and would not be discussed. For the life of me I just don't understand get that.

I've never tried cross draw, mostly because of my belly, but have used a shoulder holster and can draw without sweeping my body parts or anyone standing next to me.

Now the part that I can't wrap my head around is he was a big proponent of appendix carry. So in using a shoulder holster you may sweep your arm, but appendix carry you will sweep your junk or femoral artery. The way I see it if you have a AD or ND in your pants even if you miss both your junk and artery you will still roast your chestnuts.

Anyone have any insight of what I'm missing or why I'm wrong?
    The shoulder holster does cause sweeping of yourself and anyone in your support side due to the position and orientation of the holster. I am a big proponent of appendix, but when I holster I remove the Kydex holster from my pants, insert the pistol and then place the holster and pistol in my pants, with the trigger guard protected to prevent AD/ND. I know a lot of people who practice this. This does negate the use of a side car holster pouch, but you could use a standalone IWB mag pouch in same location with same benefit.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I think sometimes things change for the sake of change not because it’s better. I also think…… no…… know that some people have to be right even when they are not. These are often individuals who have a “new” way because they can’t or just won’t do something the best way, but instead their way.

I don’t know everything, far from it. I teach what I think is the best way in my classes. If someone insists on doing things their way when they leave class good luck.

TD

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    ive worn a cross drawn shoulder rig 100's of times with no issues. currently i carry a glock with a glock clip within my pants, not chambered. yea i have to chamber a round, but how hard is that. simple, not bulky.
    It's impossible once you get shot in the face by someone who already had a round chambered....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A bad idea that just won't die .

OK , here's the bottom line :

In your personal calculus , is it a worthwhile trade off to reduce the already low but greater than zero risk of AD , in exchange for double digit percentage of being shot because of delay , or fumbling of loading an unloaded ( Semiauto ) pistol ?

Absolute Zero chance of either AD or fumbling loading is easy . Just leave all firearms home in the safe.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It's impossible once you get shot in the face by someone who already had a round chambered....

^^This^^ is an important consideration for anyone who might prefer the survival option.

Dead.png

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    yea i have to chamber a round, but how hard is that. simple, not bulky.
    Please watch video of some defensive shootings. Notice the amount of time people have to draw and fire. Many, if not most, would end differently if they had to rack the slide.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I wonder it this is discussed in their training? My instructor had a few videos and drills to really drive home how quickly a knife wielding attacker could get to you even before drawing a loaded gun. Heck, even the mythbusters did that, and you had to be pretty far away for gun to beat knife (and that was with a loaded gun)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not every situation requires a quick draw. You might need a slow, stealthy draw. Racking properly will definitely be that distinct sound and give your position away.

Blows my mind this has to even be discussed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I find it Oxymoronic that as well prepared and aggressive as the Israelis are that carrying with an empty chamber is called “Israeli carry”.

Seems like it should be called “French carry” or something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I find it Oxymoronic that as well prepared and aggressive as the Israelis are that carrying with an empty chamber is called “Israeli carry”.

Seems like it should be called “French carry” or something similar.

Israeli air marshals didn't "Israeli carry".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I keep my spare tire empty. I have a can of air next to it

No worries

I drive around without a seatbelt on. If I'm going to crash, I'll just click it on before the impact.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I drive around without a seatbelt on. If I'm going to crash, I'll just click it on before the impact.
    This may be the best analogy I’ve heard.

In a robbery/car jacking/mugging, the mean bad man/men, men have their guns drawn. You are already at a disadvantage. Needing to rack the slide will be fatal. If you’re that scared, carry a revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom