• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Per Teratos, check out defensive shooting videos. The majority of the succesful one's I have seen are usually appendix carry with one in the chamber. YMMV.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Every reputable instructor I've ever trained with has followed the four safety rules even with unloaded guns in the classroom, and I think this is a pretty wise decision. Too dangerous to discuss is perhaps an exaggeration, but as Hogarth mentioned with his blog link, there are a number of reasons why shoulder carry and cross-draw aren't very good technique in general.

Small of back is slow and difficult to secure, I'm unsure why anyone in the year 2022 would be promoting that. :P
    Movies and tv shows… thats why

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Israeli carry should really be called the suicide carry
    QFT

If one cannot feel safer with a firearm than without, why carry it?

There are ways to safely carry a loaded (actually loaded and ready to rely on, with a cartridge chambered) handgun, that 'feeling scared' of your gear is really not a valid excuse.

If one is really scared of their gun, there ARE ways to carry a firearm that is actually ready to use. As someone posted above, a double-action revolver, hammer down on an empty chamber, is pretty much fail-safe, but WILL go bang when you need it, albeit down a round for no good reason other than fear itself.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No it’s for when you hand it to your conqueror butt first so he doesn’t shoot you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    QFT

If one cannot feel safer with a firearm than without, why carry it?

There are ways to safely carry a loaded (actually loaded and ready to rely on, with a cartridge chambered) handgun, that 'feeling scared' of your gear is really not a valid excuse.

If one is really scared of their gun, there ARE ways to carry a firearm that is actually ready to use. As someone posted above, a double-action revolver, hammer down on an empty chamber, is pretty much fail-safe, but WILL go bang when you need it, albeit down a round for no good reason other than fear itself.
    Modern revolvers with a transfer bar can’t even be fired by slamming the rear of the hammer to push the firing pin forward. That’s been in place since at least the 1940’s. I have no idea how someone could hook and accidentally pull the trigger on a DA revolver of 10lbs or more.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Modern revolvers with a transfer bar can’t even be fired by slamming the rear of the hammer to push the firing pin forward. That’s been in place since at least the 1940’s. I have no idea how someone could hook and accidentally pull the trigger on a DA revolver of 10lbs or more.
    Which is why it makes a good example.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    The point about situations that call for surreptitiously drawing your gun makes sense.

I can’t stand the host of Active Self Protection on YouTube but he has many videos that show someone carrying at a store or restaurant minding their own business when a thug runs in demanding money, telling people to get on the ground or go in the back of the store, etc. Drawing right away when the thug is pointing a gun at you is probably not going to end well. But if you can initially comply and position yourself to draw unnoticed while waiting for an opportunity, having a round chambered would likely make for a more positive outcome.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have no idea how someone could hook and accidentally pull the trigger on a DA revolver of 10lbs or more.

Oh , it's certainly been done . But it's a lot harder , aka much lesa likely to do .

But yeah , virtually every DA Revolver since about the turn of the 20th Century has a hammer block , and empty chamber * under the hammer * is kinda moot , and doesn't really effect anything .

The moral equivalent to Condition 3 in an autoloader , would be to have empty the * first chamber that will rotate to under the hammer upon initial trigger cycling * .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom