• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Dumb question. If my son gets a SBR, do I need to get a safe for his personal use, or can he store it in my safe? It would be registered to him as an individual.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I believe he would have to have his own safe/locking cabinet. That way he doesn’t have access to yours and you don’t have access to his.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I believe he would have to have his own safe/locking cabinet. That way he doesn’t have access to yours and you don’t have access to his.
    That’s what I’m thinking. He doesn’t have my combination for that reason

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My wife and daughter have access to my safe and NFA as they are trustees to my NFA trust.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It should be able to be stored in the same safe. There is no requirement for people to own their own individual safe in the same household as long as they can legally possess any gun within that common safe and household.

IANAL
    He’d then have access to machine guns and suppressors. He’s a solid, trustworthy kid.
    You could keep it simple and get a small something to lock up just the lower.
    I may just do that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My point is, I don't think there is a legal requirement for separate safes. It's more your comfort level...
    I don’t believe anyone but the registered owner(s) can have access. I suppose I could put his rifle on the trust. I didn’t want to do that, because he’s an adult and will fly the nest someday.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t believe anyone but the registered owner(s) can have access. I suppose I could put his rifle on the trust. I didn’t want to do that, because he’s an adult and will fly the nest someday.
    I can limit, physically, access to any of my firearms to anyone, including trustees. That would be of my own doing. If I die, and there are no other restrictions placed by me into the trust, my trustees have carte blanch. That is my understanding of MY trust, as it exists today.

Trutees, as stated in a given trust, are the ONLY ones who may be in possession of NFA items within that trust, without my being present.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I can limit, physically, access to any of my firearms to anyone, including trustees. That would be of my own doing. If I die, and there are no other restrictions placed by me into the trust, my trustees have carte blanch. That is my understanding of MY trust, as it exists today.

Trutees, as stated in a given trust, are the ONLY ones who may be in possession of NFA items within that trust, without my being present.
    There in lies the rub. His son is not a trustee, therefore cant have access to George's Class 3 items. George is not going to be a trustee on his son's class 3, so he can't have access to the boys items.
    The difference being the trust. Trustees can have access.
    If it owned by an individual, only the named person can have access, unless said person is there. That is my understanding.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    When there is no short upper on it, a registered lower is not an SBR. BATFE says you don't need to file a Form 20 if you don't take a short upper with you. I would think the lower alone or if it had a rifle length upper on it, you'd be able to store it in your safe.
    But it's also easy enough for him to lock the lower in a cheap plastic case and have you store that in your safe.
    I wonder if a trigger lock would suffice to deny access.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When there is no short upper on it, a registered lower is not an SBR. BATFE says you don't need to file a Form 20 if you don't take a short upper with you. I would think the lower alone or if it had a rifle length upper on it, you'd be able to store it in your safe.
    But it's also easy enough for him to lock the lower in a cheap plastic case and have you store that in your safe.
    I wonder if a trigger lock would suffice to deny access.
    Ok. We’ll just throw an HBAR upper on it and call it a day.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I searched through the ATF NFA handbook and couldn’t find any applicable law. I also searched the internet and found nothing. Follow your gut.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The reason I want to do this
    I searched through the ATF NFA handbook and couldn’t find any applicable law. I also searched the internet and found nothing. Follow your gut.
    huh. May be more mythological BGS stuff. I did search before posting the question so nobody could give me crap about it being in neon lights. I’m more interested in the formal answer, as it piqued my curiosity.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There in lies the rub. His son is not a trustee, therefore cant have access to George's Class 3 items. George is not going to be a trustee on his son's class 3, so he can't have access to the boys items.
    The difference being the trust. Trustees can have access.
    If it owned by an individual, only the named person can have access, unless said person is there. That is my understanding.
    *****I am by no means an expert, but this question has come up in several of my firearms classes before from members who have Class 3 items, children, spouses, or others living in the home, etc.. The gentlemen who sometimes helps me teach the course is an attorney with Class 3 items himself, also has an FFL, and at least used to set up these types of trusts. He has always answered the question pretty much with the same info as is above in the quoted post.

When in doubt, it might be worth it to consult an attorney with expertise in this matter as the consequences in our state if the letter of the law is not followed can be quite severe with respect to Class 3 items. Trustees can have access, others not unless the trustee is there - that is my understanding.

Honestly, this shit kind of pisses me off as "Shall not be infringed" is kind of clanging in my head right now. As legal gun owners we have to jump through an ass ton of hoops whereas criminals just don't give a shit, do whatever they want, and often seem to not really be all that punished when they do get caught.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are a lot of details, and a LOT of opinion and "best practices" that are presented as law. There are no specific storage requirements. The risk is running afoul of "possession" or negligence aka a person that is not in a trust or any other person with an individual registered NFA device while the owner/trustee is not present is unlawful.

The detail that matters is that if you are not present, it can be construed that a person has possession if their access is not reasonably limited. US v. Turnbough being the case I have in my notes, although that was an unlawful firearm that 3 people were charged with possession, and there are basically 0 NFA specific cases or statutes I can find outside of criminals or child access cases. So while there is no requirement per-se, it is possible that unsupervised access could=posession, and could be considered negligent for the owner/trustee. Still it's a stretch, and more than likely if the ATF is raiding your house and searching for NFA violations you already made a lot of mistakes, and a flimsy storage/ possession charge is probably the least of your worries. IMO, legally without a specific storage requirement, you could leave an NFA item hanging on the wall in your room, and in the exceedingly rare event that was found out without an unauthorized person taking your NFA device to the range by themselves or something, it would be a hard charge to make stick. For responsible folk though storing it in a safe is just a good practice, and being a trigger lock satisfies the "child access" law, would be easy to argue that satisfies NFA access / possession too, so could store it with a trigger lock in your safe even if it isn't a requirement. Placing a non-regulated upper also makes it a non-NFA device temporarily, so that could also work with the NFA upper stored separately.

Guntrust lawyer NFA storage requirement

there is also an ATF "best practices" FAQ, no law referenced, and it is for storage when moving to a state the item cannot be posesses by state law, not living at the place where the item is stored. I think this is what inspired most shops and people to claim an NFA item has to be locked in a safe where only the owner/trustees have the combo. Still, it's a best practice or at most an ATF opinion without a specific law in reference, and it's in a specific circumstance that may not apply.
    If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual's application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred in accordance with NFA regulations or abandoned to ATF.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I deleted a few of my posts because I was going on an incorrect assumption.

Might there be a need for three safes? One for dad's NFAs, one for Jr's NFA stuff, and maybe a third for everything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom