• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    New gun owner waiting for government clearance - definite security risk being a grandma of 6!! Bought gun at Dulles Expo and needed to go thru MD transfer agent. Will the agent still be able to transfer the shotgun to me if the MD gun legislation is passed? :gun7:

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Keep in mind for semi-auto shotguns you have a two feature test. Pistol grip and telescopic/folding stock. So if you have a fixed stock and a pistol grip, its not evil.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    so I own mine before the law takes effect and its pistol grip and folding/telescoping stock....
    the bill says if I own it before the ban.,.,.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    When I bought my Saiga in MD 3 yrs it was NOT cash and carry. Maybe the FFL was being cautious and thought it close enough to "AK-47 all types" but it was a wait. Likewise Vepr-12 was 7 day wait too

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    When I bought my Saiga in MD 3 yrs it was NOT cash and carry. Maybe the FFL was being cautious and thought it close enough to "AK-47 all types" but it was a wait. Likewise Vepr-12 was 7 day wait too

Depends on the FFL. Many assume "it's an AK, it's regulated" but it's not a rifle, not a named regulated item, and very few parts are interchangeable with an AKM.

If you call the MSP and ask, it depends on who you talk to. Recently the trend has been for them to say "non-regulated".

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks to Saiga Question

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I may be a Granny but am willing and soon will have the ability to defend what is mine!

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Just curious, since I have not seen a Grandma carrying a Saiga shotgun before, is it a Saiga 12, 20, or .410? Congrats on the purchase. I love(d) my Saigas. Welcome to the board.

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    12ga Shotgun

Did my research -- with the pistol grip I found the 12ga easier to handle. A shotgun was my only consideration. Came with a 10 round magazine also which was a definite plus. By the way, my husband owns a Ruger mini 30! :gun7:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Keep in mind for semi-auto shotguns you have a two feature test. Pistol grip and telescopic/folding stock. So if you have a fixed stock and a pistol grip, its not evil.

That is the proposed law. Unless the Saiga is listed on the current list of Assault Weapons, it is not an assault weapon at this time. I just reviewed the current list and it is not listed under the list of Assault Weapons. So, it should not be a regulated firearm, UNLESS it is a copy of one of the other shotguns on the assault weapon list. My brother bought one back at the end of December and it was a cash and carry deal from a FFL. So, I really find it hard to believe that the Saiga is considered an assault weapon at this time.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Who makes the 10 round mag? Did it come with the stock Russian 5 round mag? Make sure you test for reliability with those mags before relying on it to protect the munchkins :)

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    That is the proposed law. Unless the Saiga is listed on the current list of Assault Weapons, it is not an assault weapon at this time. I just reviewed the current list and it is not listed under the list of Assault Weapons. So, it should not be a regulated firearm, UNLESS it is a copy of one of the other shotguns on the assault weapon list. My brother bought one back at the end of December and it was a cash and carry deal from a FFL. So, I really find it hard to believe that the Saiga is considered an assault weapon at this time.

Keep in mind, in its stock configuration, its a cash and carry semi-auto shotgun. I agree like that is does not fall under the assault weapon language.
    However once converted with a pistol grip, and telescopic stock it does.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Keep in mind, in its stock configuration, its a cash and carry semi-auto shotgun. I agree like that is does not fall under the assault weapon language.
    However once converted with a pistol grip, and telescopic stock it does.

Show me where in the current law, not SB281 or the House equivalent, it becomes a regulated firearm if a pistol grip and telescopic stock are installed on it today?

Code section and quote from the cited code section would be wonderful. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. The Copycat Attributes are not current law, and only become current law if SB281 is passed.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Show me where in the current law, not SB281 or the House equivalent, it becomes a regulated firearm if a pistol grip and telescopic stock are installed on it today?

Code section and quote from the cited code section would be wonderful. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. The Copycat Attributes are not current law, and only become current law if SB281 is passed.

Sorry I'm only talking about SB281. As of right now, converted guns must just be 922 compliant.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    is already converted? if it isnt, installing the 10 round mag violates the 922r law. feel free to ask any questions and someone here will have an answer. they tend to need a little bit of work to get them functioning correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom