• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    is already converted? if it isnt, installing the 10 round mag violates the 922r law. feel free to ask any questions and someone here will have an answer. they tend to need a little bit of work to get them functioning correctly.

Ok, this is the first I have heard of 922r. Just looked it up and man that thing is long. Don't have the time to read it over right now, but was wondering how installing a larger capacity mag violates that US code section.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    when you add a "high cap" mag. you have taken it out of its "sporting" configuration. there is a list of 20 parts that count. you cannot have more than 10 of those parts made outside the USA. i think my saiga had 15 of the parts on the list. so i had to replace 5 of those parts with USA made parts.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I am a Saiga 12 owner, and you will find a wealth of information at:
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/
    Register, read and learn. LOT'S of valuable information. Even has a 922(r) self-calculating spreadsheet for making sure you change enough parts that matter for the calculation. I find this forum invaluable.

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    The Saiga came with a 10 round mag. Have since purchased a 20 mag and a 5 Mag. Thought the 5 mag would be an easy to carry in my purse! Still waiting for MSP clearance before my baby can come home.

Plan on having the SG "tweaked" a little after its arrival.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    To Quote the Beach Boys "Go Granny,go Granny go Granny go, Too bad you aren't from Pasadena. But seriously welcome from Elkton

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    Gun came NIB with the stock Russian 5 mag. Purchased the 10 round mag from "ProMag".
    Still waiting for gun to be released by FFL. Will not release until he has MSP clearance. Plan on having the bore "checked out" thoroughly before any shooting take place. Can any gunsmith do this in a reasonable amount of time?

Also, don't plan on having the 10 mag installed -- just available for any zombie combat that my family may encounter. Does 922r law come into play now?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    is already converted? if it isnt, installing the 10 round mag violates the 922r law. feel free to ask any questions and someone here will have an answer. they tend to need a little bit of work to get them functioning correctly.
    Hey Pitbull, I have a Saiga 12 and I have converted it. The 10 round mag is actually fine. It counts as 3 922R compliant parts. The mag is not the issue. If you start adding a collapsible stock/pistol grip combo, then the USA made mag is all that you can use. You can no longer use the factory mag. Changing out the puck(piston) and fore grip helps bring it into compliance as well. Changing out the trigger group to all US parts gives you 3 compliance parts as well. Thats why a conversion is good to do.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    Hey Pitbull, I have a Saiga 12 and I have converted it. The 10 round mag is actually fine. It counts as 3 922R compliant parts. The mag is not the issue. If you start adding a collapsible stock/pistol grip combo, then the USA made mag is all that you can use. You can no longer use the factory mag. Changing out the puck(piston) and fore grip helps bring it into compliance as well. Changing out the trigger group to all US parts gives you 3 compliance parts as well. Thats why a conversion is good to do.

once you change it out of its original "sporting" conversion (adding the bigger mag) you have to have less than 10 of the 20 parts listed. i think the saiga has 15 if you have a threaded barrel (muzzle device) the mag does count as three, so you would need two more parts to be legal if thats all you change, you still need two more. run the calculater that there is a link to above. i bet you are off

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    Gun came NIB with the stock Russian 5 mag. Purchased the 10 round mag from "ProMag".
    Still waiting for gun to be released by FFL. Will not release until he has MSP clearance. Plan on having the bore "checked out" thoroughly before any shooting take place. Can any gunsmith do this in a reasonable amount of time?

Also, don't plan on having the 10 mag installed -- just available for any zombie combat that my family may encounter. Does 922r law come into play now?

the bore isnt really the issue. usually the tend to not cycle low brass shells out of the box. no need for a gunsmith. as long as you dont change any parts the 922 laws doesnt apply. install the 10 rnd for even a second and it does. better off to spend the money and just do it. you can you it yourself, its easier than you think.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    "Cycle low brass shells out of the box?"? Don't understand what this means.

Saiga shotguns used to come with only three gas port holes, which caused issues with short-cycling on birdshot or "low brass". Newer Saigas have four ports now which usually alleviates the issue.

Occasionally one of the four holes will get partly covered by the gas block, resulting in undergassing on low brass. There are lots of solutions, including a new gas puck, polishing the bolt/hammer, or simply shooting the hell of out it with buck until it self-polishes.

All Saigas will run on full-powered buck or slugs just fine. It's just cheap white box birdshot that can be problematic to varying degrees. Some will run it just fine out of the box.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    mine is a four port. One hole was completely covered,and two more were partially covered. i had to remove the gas block and use a file amd remove some material. I also drilled two of the holes slightly larger. and now it runs federal bulk pack like a champ.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Domino, I've converted three Saiga 12's, meaning changing out the stock for a pistol grip and relocating the trigger group forward so that it is just behind the mag release, dealing with obstructed ports and the drilling them to the proper size (which depends on the barrel length and the number of ports), polishing the bolt, carrier and hammer face, and so forth. I HIGHLY recommend you spend time at the Saiga forum. Folks there specialize in the care and feeding of these imports, for which replacements for things like the bolt and carrier are unobtainable.

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    Will do! Had a chance to shoot my husband's Ruger mini 30 at the indoor range today. I may need to put a scope on my Saiga when it comes in. Spent too much time trying to line-up.

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    when it comes in send me a pm if you need more help. they are alot of fun once you get them running right.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Saying this as someone who has bought 2 Saiga 12s, I really wouldn't recommend them as your go to self defense gun. There are better guns out there for the job.

You also probably don't want to put a scope on a smooth bore shotgun, maybe a red dot.

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    I need to put some type of sight magnifier on the gun. Granny can't see as good as she used to and don't want to "just shoot out the balcony or door" as our crazy Uncle Joe bleeped. I am considering "Trijicon" but will seek advice on something else.

I did have a couple of direct hits yesterday with the mini 30 but took me entirely too long to pinpoint what I was shooting at.

The Saiga w/pistol grip felt very comfortable holding. I will definitely PM when background check clears. Will also be taking MANY classes -- possibly through MidAtlantic Firearms. Also on schedule for UTAH just in case MD decides to ban these too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom