• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoninZero

Oct 18, 2010
    Been a member (read, lurker) here for a bit. I plan on going to the Gettysburg show this weekend, looking to get a new gun, and I'm curious what the process is for buying a gun from an out of state show? Do I need to get it transferred to an in state ffl to do the paperwork?

Thanx
    -roninzero

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    non-reg in MD = instant background check in PA.
    reg in MD if purchased in PA would have to be sent down to an FFL in MD.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Handguns and what is regulated need to be shipped to a MD dealer to transfer. Long guns and can be purchased FROM A DEALER. They will run a background check before you get it.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Handguns and what is regulated need to be shipped to a MD dealer to transfer. Long guns and can be purchased FROM A DEALER. They will run a background check before you get it.

couldn't have said it better myself.:D

RoninZero

Oct 18, 2010
    I plan on buying a regulated firearm. Do/should I contact a local dealer prior to the purchase this weekend?

-roninzero

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    How does it work if you're buying a regulated firearm at a Maryland gun show and are a Maryland resident?? Same process and waiting period?
    I'm asking because I wasn't sure how the gun show "loophole" worked as I've heard it many times.

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    Yes
    If you buy a regulated firearm in maryland you have to go through an FFL to register it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    How does it work if you're buying a regulated firearm at a Maryland gun show and are a Maryland resident?? Same process and waiting period?
    I'm asking because I wasn't sure how the gun show "loophole" worked as I've heard it many times.

All the same laws apply at a gun show. The gun show "loophole" is a myth

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    So if you are from Maryland and buy a regulated firearm at a Md gun show, and the seller has to wait the required 7-days or more timeframe to transfer it, how do you and the seller arrange transfer of the gun once the waiting period) is over? It seems it might be hard to do if the seller and buyer are from distant locations even within Maryland.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    So if you are from Maryland and buy a regulated firearm at a Md gun show, and the seller has to wait the required 7-days or more timeframe to transfer it, how do you and the seller arrange transfer of the gun once the waiting period) is over? It seems it might be hard to do if the seller and buyer are from distant locations even within Maryland.

Usually the seller will get your phone number and call you when they have approval (they are actually waiting for a determination that you are not dissaproved for the sale). The buyer can then drive to the sellers shop and pick up the firearm. It does make it a little more difficult to legally purchase a regulated gun, and our lawmakers think that is a good thing.

arrius

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi Robin, I already posted this in another thread but if it helps you :

I am no gun expert but will add my two cents worth. If you will be buying this gun at a gun show choose the gun wisely. I have several handguns and never really paid any attention to Maryland law on gun types. The latter is until just the other year I paid out over $1200 for a very nice sti off duty .45 When the gun came in my ffl guy advised it that my sti.45 was not on Marylands approved handgun roster. Little did I know that Maryland even had such a list but they do. The most amusing part is the that list was loaded with many far cheaper .45 handguns but not my sti .45 To make a longer story short I opted to petition the handgun board to add my sti to the list. This required that my ffl guy ups my brand new pricey 45 to Baltimore Maryland. Unfortunately that was all at the start of winter and apparently a few members of the handgun roster board live in far western maryland. Four or so of their scheduled meetings in a row were canceled due to bad weather. It took over five months before they finally met , approved my sti for the list then returned the gun to me. The process ended up costing me about an extra $250 over and above my ffl $40 transfer fee. So in the end for purchasing a nice quality handgun, I had to leave it lay in Baltimore for over 5 months and pay $250 to do so. I would love to have its sister sti off duty 9mm identical to the .45 other than caliber however even though I got the .45 on the list the sister 9mm is not on it. Their is no way I would go through all of that again in order to have the 9mm.

So when you buy your gun make sure it is on Marylands approved handgun list. If its not your only to options are , return the gun for a refund or opt for the same nightmare I went through .

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks mvee. Sounds like a gun show purchaser also has to consider practicalities like delivery.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Not to add further rain to your parade, but some PA dealers are not willing to do the stuff required for a transfer to a MD dealer. They can sell the item to a PA resident as soon as the approval comes through and the paperwork is done. With a MD resident he has to keep yours separate, carry it back to the shop, ship it to a MD dealer etc, etc Now you are going to pay for all this but some dealers don't want to be bothered.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Depends what you want to buy. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, "assault weapon"?

Yea, pick me up one of those assault weapons, I hear that you can get them easily at gun shows. One with the shoulder thingy and looks real scary......:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom