• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello Kitty

Oct 4, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi Robin, I already posted this in another thread but if it helps you :

I am no gun expert but will add my two cents worth. If you will be buying this gun at a gun show choose the gun wisely. I have several handguns and never really paid any attention to Maryland law on gun types. The latter is until just the other year I paid out over $1200 for a very nice sti off duty .45 When the gun came in my ffl guy advised it that my sti.45 was not on Marylands approved handgun roster. Little did I know that Maryland even had such a list but they do. The most amusing part is the that list was loaded with many far cheaper .45 handguns but not my sti .45 To make a longer story short I opted to petition the handgun board to add my sti to the list. This required that my ffl guy ups my brand new pricey 45 to Baltimore Maryland. Unfortunately that was all at the start of winter and apparently a few members of the handgun roster board live in far western maryland. Four or so of their scheduled meetings in a row were canceled due to bad weather. It took over five months before they finally met , approved my sti for the list then returned the gun to me. The process ended up costing me about an extra $250 over and above my ffl $40 transfer fee. So in the end for purchasing a nice quality handgun, I had to leave it lay in Baltimore for over 5 months and pay $250 to do so. I would love to have its sister sti off duty 9mm identical to the .45 other than caliber however even though I got the .45 on the list the sister 9mm is not on it. Their is no way I would go through all of that again in order to have the 9mm.

So when you buy your gun make sure it is on Marylands approved handgun list. If its not your only to options are , return the gun for a refund or opt for the same nightmare I went through .

Interesting. I had no idea there was an approved list! Is this Handgun Roster the approved list?

http://msp.maryland.gov/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

Hello Kitty

Oct 4, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    All the same laws apply at a gun show. The gun show "loophole" is a myth

An anti-gun coworker of mine was going on about the gunshow loophole and I asked him how it worked... Of course, he had no answer. I explained that I can't speak for other states, but no Maryland resident is getting away with anything.

So, is there some sort of 'loophole' in other states? Why do we hear so much about it if it's a myth?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    An anti-gun coworker of mine was going on about the gunshow loophole and I asked him how it worked... Of course, he had no answer. I explained that I can't speak for other states, but no Maryland resident is getting away with anything.

So, is there some sort of 'loophole' in other states? Why do we hear so much about it if it's a myth?

Perhaps if hunting rifles can be sold face to face between private parties, and a seller is wandering around a show with one on his back with a for sale sign on it, it might be sold "at the show."

Does anyone else have a better explanation about the misconception?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/30/the-gun-show-loophole-myth/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom