• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got an upcoming hog and deer combo hunt with DocT and I'm looking for suggestions on ammo, particularly for hogs. I'll be shooting my 30-06. Can I get away with standard deer type ammunition since I'll have an opportunity to shoot whatever shows up? Am I over thinking this? I'm new to hunting pig and I want to make sure I'm not under gunned. Thanks in advance.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Deer hunting ammo will work like a charm. My biggest boars were DRT with Remington Core Lokt in .308. If there's any doubt just shoot them in the neck. Good luck on your hunt!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Deer hunting ammo will work like a charm. My biggest boars were DRT with Remington Core Lokt in .308. If there's any doubt just shoot them in the neck. Good luck on your hunt!
    Thank you kind sir. Core Lokt is on of my favorites. I will go with that.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    I've got an upcoming hog and deer combo hunt with DocT and I'm looking for suggestions on ammo, particularly for hogs. I'll be shooting my 30-06. Can I get away with standard deer type ammunition since I'll have an opportunity to shoot whatever shows up? Am I over thinking this? I'm new to hunting pig and I want to make sure I'm not under gunned. Thanks in advance.
    Never heard of combo hunting. Where is this at?!
    Doesn't ammo depend on distance/venue?
    are you shooting from a pickup or chopper :)?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never heard of combo hunting. Where is this at?!
    Doesn't ammo depend on distance/venue?
    are you shooting from a pickup or chopper :)?
    N. Carolina. Hunting from blinds and ladder stands.
    I'm really hoping for a pig. If a real nice buck steps out, I might be tempted, but he's got to be exceptional.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm really hoping for a pig. If a real nice buck steps out, I might be tempted, but he's got to be exceptional.
    Blinds and ladder stands in carolina suggests close range (sub 300 is close for me). Load pretty much any decent bonded bullet and you will get two holes with plenty of damage. I'd avoid berger VLDH if you plan on taking shots on bigger hogs that aren't head/neck as they tend to dump energy but I've seen them fail to penetrate a deer fully even in .30 cal. The Nosler partition is a proven winner, no matter how hard you drive them. In a 30, you can run just about any weight you like from 150 up to the 200 grain range.

I did up nosler 168BSBs for my buddy's 308 and he's never recovered one from an animal (always gets an exit). Easily breaks both scapulae on cervids if thats your thing. One of my good friends (guided Colorado for elk for a while) has been using the 165 Sierra bthp gameking (fwiw, he does not like the 165 soft point, only the hollow point) in cases from 308 to 30nosler on critters frome whitetail up to elk and black bear with good results.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Outrider,
    If you're looking for good eating, recommend medium size sows (80-150 lbs).

Big boars make good Euro mounts and buzzard food but not much else.

The stink on those things is overpowering and they're usually infested with fleas...not fun to gut/skin.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Some of the Helo video I've seen use 223/556. They use 22LR on the farms for the headshots.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider,
    If you're looking for good eating, recommend medium size sows (80-150 lbs).

Big boars make good Euro mounts and buzzard food but not much else.

The stink on those things is overpowering and they're usually infested with fleas...not fun to gut/skin.
    Yup. Thanks. We are looking for youngish eaters.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some of the Helo video I've seen use 223/556. They use 22LR on the farms for the headshots.
    Where we are hunting, you have to be prepared to take a deer or a pig. Though I have taken a few deer with .223, it probably would not go over too well with the outfitter.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    A farmer I know shot a 250 lb bore and it laid in the field untouched by anything but the weather for a few months. I shot a 125 sow and she was tasty.
    Best of luck to you both!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    B, I have several types of .30-06 hunting ammo, so don’t buy any if you need some…

I’m still on the fence about what to bring. .375 H&H may be a little big. May go .270. Maybe .308. I’ll use the Garand for a night vision hunt in the Spring.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    thats awesome take some trophy boars out of there, gotta also tell us if wild hog is really that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom