• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Any hunting ammo with caliber .270 and above will work fine, just don't forget to aim differently, not like at deer. As it was said above already, aim at neck. Another good aim point in 1/3 of the line from ear to shoulder. Aim is not easy because pigs are almost constantly moving. If a sounder comes you will hear them from afar. A single old boar (or saw) might come silently. And good luck!

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'm also going to NC in late Nov for a pig hunt. I'm getting my gear set up now. I'm using 5.56 and planning on head/neck shots. Hornady makes a 556 round rated for deer so I think that will handle pig heads. I'm told yardage is no more than 50 yards.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm also going to NC in late Nov for a pig hunt. I'm getting my gear set up now. I'm using 5.56 and planning on head/neck shots. Hornady makes a 556 round rated for deer so I think that will handle pig heads. I'm told yardage is no more than 50 yards.
    Nosler 60 partition or 64bsb. Both will do you fine. I haven't tested their etip personally but others have said it holds together well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    B, I have several types of .30-06 hunting ammo, so don’t buy any if you need some…

I’m still on the fence about what to bring. .375 H&H may be a little big. May go .270. Maybe .308. I’ll use the Garand for a night vision hunt in the Spring.
    Yeah, you want a little meat left on the bone, Lol. I'd go with the .270 all the way.

Can you bring a couple(30-06) with you this weekend? Thanks G!
    I’ll be shooting smaller ones. Better eats. I care more about delicious meat than trophies….
    I'm right there with you. I'm looking for table food, not dog food.
    (I got no more room on my walls for a trophy anyhow :o)

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Any hunting ammo with caliber .270 and above will work fine, just don't forget to aim differently, not like at deer. As it was said above already, aim at neck. Another good aim point in 1/3 of the line from ear to shoulder. Aim is not easy because pigs are almost constantly moving. If a sounder comes you will hear them from afar. A single old boar (or saw) might come silently. And good luck!
    Can you recommend 25-06 Core-Lokt to preserve meat and still have plenty of thump at sub 200 yard ranges?

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I used my 30-30 with 150gr HP and the one I got didn’t go far at all. Maybe 20 yards. Another guy hunting with us used a 300 BO with Hog Hammers in it and had to use my 30-30 after the BO wouldn’t put it down.

Another guy in our party also used a 30-30 with the same result as mine.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I got back from my trip yesterday, it's roughly a 5.5 hour drive including a couple quick stops. Our first night I had a single boar sneak in and I heard the corn crack. My site had no others show up the rest of the trip. Strange thing was that I saw no deer and only one racoon in the 3 afternoon / nights I hunted. My boar weighed 150 pounds before field dressed and skinned. The retired butcher down there that the guys have used in the past was booked solid because it was shotgun and rifle season for deer. I had to quarter my boar Sunday morning, ice it and bring it home. There is no one around here that will do it or has the time. Tonight I hacked up the 4 qtrs and tomorrow night I'll do the body. Trying to get some ribs and boneless chops. We will see how it goes.
    The boar hanging on the left is mine. There was 4 of us in our party on Thursday night and we took two pigs. There was six of us Friday and Saturday nights. Only two more pigs were taken on Saturday night. Not sure if I'll ever do it again because I can buy alot of great processed pork for what that trip cost. The experience was cool the first night, After that it pretty much sucked with no pigs roaming around.

Attachments

• IMG_20231130_205516254_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
      IMG_20231130_205516254_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
      373.5 KB · Views: 55
    • IMG_20231130_210446394_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20231130_210446394_HDR.jpg
      259 KB · Views: 52
    • IMG_20231201_135902777_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20231201_135902777_HDR.jpg
      505.4 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_20231201_155731883.jpg
      IMG_20231201_155731883.jpg
      444.9 KB · Views: 54
    Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've got an upcoming hog and deer combo hunt with DocT and I'm looking for suggestions on ammo, particularly for hogs. I'll be shooting my 30-06. Can I get away with standard deer type ammunition since I'll have an opportunity to shoot whatever shows up? Am I over thinking this? I'm new to hunting pig and I want to make sure I'm not under gunned. Thanks in advance.
    Have you all gone on your trip yet?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you all gone on your trip yet?
    Yes. It was a bust. I saw one doe on the first morning. Doc saw a buck, but it was after shooting hours. No pigs.
    They were dealing with a major bumper acorn crop(much like up here) and the animals didn't need to move much to feed.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Yes. It was a bust. I saw one doe on the first morning. Doc saw a buck, but it was after shooting hours. No pigs.
    They were dealing with a major bumper acorn crop(much like up here) and the animals didn't need to move much to feed.
    Bummer. I'd like to do a Pig hunt once but I keep hearing stories like this for all the close places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom