• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I got back from my trip yesterday, it's roughly a 5.5 hour drive including a couple quick stops. Our first night I had a single boar sneak in and I heard the corn crack. My site had no others show up the rest of the trip. Strange thing was that I saw no deer and only one racoon in the 3 afternoon / nights I hunted. My boar weighed 150 pounds before field dressed and skinned. The retired butcher down there that the guys have used in the past was booked solid because it was shotgun and rifle season for deer. I had to quarter my boar Sunday morning, ice it and bring it home. There is no one around here that will do it or has the time. Tonight I hacked up the 4 qtrs and tomorrow night I'll do the body. Trying to get some ribs and boneless chops. We will see how it goes.
    The boar hanging on the left is mine. There was 4 of us in our party on Thursday night and we took two pigs. There was six of us Friday and Saturday nights. Only two more pigs were taken on Saturday night. Not sure if I'll ever do it again because I can buy alot of great processed pork for what that trip cost. The experience was cool the first night, After that it pretty much sucked with no pigs roaming around.
    Who did you go with again?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Georgia is pretty good or has been in the past.
    That's a long haul to kill a pig.

I had some friends who used to do a yearly trip down there for pigs. The pigs were actually stocked for the hunters. Probably even USDA pigs too.

Apr 15, 2022
    Woodsboro
    I've got an upcoming hog and deer combo hunt with DocT and I'm looking for suggestions on ammo, particularly for hogs. I'll be shooting my 30-06. Can I get away with standard deer type ammunition since I'll have an opportunity to shoot whatever shows up? Am I over thinking this? I'm new to hunting pig and I want to make sure I'm not under gunned. Thanks in advance.
    Relax you will be fine with the 06, bring home the bacon, careful. hogs can smell your nervous pheromones.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Relax you will be fine with the 06, bring home the bacon, careful. hogs can smell your nervous pheromones.
    Thanks. The trip has already happened without any luck. It turned out that, when we went, it was to be more of a deer than a pig hunt, and with an overabundance of acorns on the forest floor, neither the deer nor the pigs were in much need of moving to search for food.

I am fairly experienced hunter and I do not get nervous. :)

Last edited:

Captpuck

Dec 27, 2023
    New Jersey
    I've got an upcoming hog and deer combo hunt with DocT and I'm looking for suggestions on ammo, particularly for hogs. I'll be shooting my 30-06. Can I get away with standard deer type ammunition since I'll have an opportunity to shoot whatever shows up? Am I over thinking this? I'm new to hunting pig and I want to make sure I'm not under gunned. Thanks in advance.
    Hornady makes a special Hog round for 30.06. Used it down in Texas.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game Magnums
    .45-70 & .308
    JM Marlin 1895SG and Browning BAR DBM
    Pelican 2020.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members